Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: PhillySoldier's 9mm Reloading

Site Supporter
    Yeah I like 6.0 grains of power pistol to work on recoil management for sure. Similar recoil to a +P load.

I tried some of a buddies handloads in his 9mm 1911...I wanna say it was 231 with 124gr bullets? He swears by 231.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

This is my fav: https://hi-techammo.com/products/csb...h-loading-data

Small flake version of CSB-1. Love it.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

I ran a few tests over the weekend

Titegroup 4.0 to 4.8g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    10 rnd groups were averaging 2.5 to 3". This one was a bit odd in that shot groups were not evenly spread over their circumference. I would get like 5-6 shots over top of each other so tight that twice I had to stop and make sure I wasnt missing the target. The rest would be like complete flyers to the perimeter of the group. SD ranged from 10 to 20 and velocities didnt explain the inconsistencies. If it was consistent these might have been 0.5 to o.75" groups

CFE 5.0 to 5.9g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    I really liked this one, just something about how it felt was just right when I was shooting unsupported the left over ammo after the test. As for the testing; average groups ran from 1.1" to 1.6". Testing was pretty thorough but I may test a few of the rungs again just to confirm.

WSF 5.1 to 5.g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    Im gonna have to run a second test on this one with some lower charges. My lowest had a velocity of 1162. Overall it did well though and had avg group sizes the same as the CFE from 1.1 to 1.6". I cant put my finger on why but I just liked the CFE more so far
    Last edited by PhillySoldier; 07-09-2018 at 10:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillySoldier View Post
    I ran a few tests over the weekend

Titegroup 4.0 to 4.8g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    10 rnd groups were averaging 2.5 to 3". This one was a bit odd in that shot groups were not evenly spread over their circumference. I would get like 5-6 shots over top of each other so tight that twice I had to stop and make sure I wasnt missing the target. The rest would be like complete flyers to the perimeter of the group. SD ranged from 10 to 20 and velocities didnt explain the inconsistencies. If it was consistent these might have been 0.5 to o.75" groups

CFE 5.0 to 5.9g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    I really liked this one, just something about how it felt was just right when I was shooting unsupported the left over ammo after the test. As for the testing; average groups ran from 1.1" to 1.6". Testing was pretty thorough but I may test a few of the rungs again just to confirm.

WSF 5.1 to 5.g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    Im gonna have to run a second test on this one with some lower charges. My lowest had a velocity of 1162. Overall it did well though and had avg group sizes the same as the CFE from 1.1 to 1.6". I cant put my finger on why but I just liked the CFE more so far
    What specific velocities? Keep in mind that with 115gr bullets it is easy to get into the “transsonic” area velocity wise. This MIGHT be a factor that could explain wierd fliers. I’d suggest heavier bullets and keeping the max velocity under the speed of sound.

For which powder test are you referring too?

Right now im trying not to try too many different things at once. Figured I will stick w the 115 fmj's till I test a bunch of powders. After that I'll experiment with each and different projectiles

Titegroup
    Low - 4.0g 1068 fps
    High - 4.8 1238 fps

CFE
    Low - 5.0g 1089
    High - 5.9g 1246

WSF
    Low - 5.1g 1162
    High - 5.5g 1263

Check speed of sound for your area (I assume Philly, near sea level), and pick a bullet weight/charge that is consistently either super of subsonic. Not sure how much it matters for pistol but this seems an easily controlled variable.

I usually try 124gr and keep it subsonic but ran a lot of 135’s in the past. Just lower your charge a couple few tenths of a grain for a slightly heavier bullet.

I ran 3 more tests over the past weekend.

CFE 5.0 to 5.4g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    This was a re-test. Just wanted to confirm prior test results. Im really liking this powder but it has me stumped on why the lower 5.0g powder charge (1090 fps) seems to have the best results. Over 4 different shot groups of 10 rnds each at 25 yards, its averaging 1" groupings. Its nice and soft to shoot so I guess I shouldnt be complaining but it has me puzzled

WSF 4.8 to 5.0g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    This was a follow up test to extend the range a bit lower. Results were ok but jumping around a bit. It looked like it was starting to get tigher the higher over 1200 fps that I went. I only went as high as 1245 though

N320 4.0 to 4.5g, 115 fmj, 1.15" oal
    Based on lots of recommendation as well as an expensive price tag, I expected this one to do better than it did. Groupings ranged from 1.9" to 3" throughout. My wallet is kinda glad this one didnt do better though

User Tag List