Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Video tutorial for forward carriage of primary equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
    HCountyGuy, The VELO is purpose built for just inside the hip, some folks like 12:00 and the dual angled wedge would not work well there. For RH at 1 to 1:30, I think most people will find the two angles of the wedge to optimize concealment and not compromise comfort. Some are finding they want more wedge on the VELO if they are concealing a 17 or 34 with full grip. In that case, you can add a flat piece of foam or anything squishy. No need to contour it as the contour is built in. In the end, 100% satisfaction guaranteed. If you don't like it, I'll take it back with NO silly 30 days or anything like that.
    Good to see this; thanks! I prefer to wear AIWB at the inguinal crease, not at mid-line.

Duluth Trading "Fire Hose Duluthflex Cargo Work Pants".
    Not super stylish but perfect for daily wear and even business khaki casual wear paired with a nice Polo shirt, they're also more "tradesman" than "tactical".
    With the 8 ounce canvas and 3% spandex material they have both substance and flex, so they comfortably carry and conceal a pistol. The slight stretch also means you can wear clothes that actually fit your waist even if you're a regular at the squat rack.
    The belt loops are substantial, plentiful and sized for a thick 1.5" belt.
    The hand pockets are large, deep and perfect for carrying a J-frame, PM9 or G43 sized pistol with easy access and the thigh cargo pocket flaps are positioned perfectly to break up the gun outline.

The Duluth "Armachillo" shirts are also great for hot climates.
    The new Duluth "Alaskan Hardgear" shirt selection is great as well, the "Chilkat River" is a really cool shirt that breaks away from the Hawaiian theme and into a cool Topo map pattern that makes a pistol outline disappear.
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-20-2018 at 11:31 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I prefer to wear AIWB at the inguinal crease, not at mid-line.
    Likewise, or at least that's where the foam wedge rides. This is how I carry a PPS in a JMCK AIWB holster wearing jeans "that fit" (no upsizing for carry);

AMIS III

First, there was AMIS. Then we were introduced to AMIS II, Armed Movement In Suits. New, for Summer 2018, is the new AMIS III, Armed Movement In Shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    First, there was AMIS. Then we were introduced to AMIS II, Armed Movement In Suits. New, for Summer 2018, is the new AMIS III, Armed Movement In Shorts.
    ..and in 2019...

Does anyone know where you can pick up a VG2 with the wing for a Glock 43? RCS website doesn't seem to have them.

I agree with most of the OP, especially about properly fitted pants, but like all things with firearms and holsters, I will offer an opinion on belts that differs from @SouthNarc, likely due to my body type/build.

I find the Ares Gear Aegis belt the best for me for AIWB. This includes belts I have from mastermind tactics, thinner leather 5.11 belts, double thick custom leather gun belts from Milt Sparks/The Beltman/A&G Gunleather, Wilderness 5 Stitch Instructor belt, and an arcteryx web belt.

As a plain clothes LEO, I carry about 12-14 hours a day with a 19M in a JM George AIWB set at the highest ride height possible with Tony's standard hole and loop setup, and I use a large wedge from Mastermind. I have a 44 chest/32 waist/45 hip measurement (too many squats). I am significantly wider left to right than front to back. Because I am wider left to right and flat across the front, I find the Aegis belt sits tight against me and wraps around the holster just fine, pulling it in tight with minimal gap between the belt. The thinner belts like the mastermind and Arcteryx web belt have to be excessively cinched down to the point of discomfort, and then they still allow the rear of the gun to rotate away from my body more than the Aegis. Likewise with holsters, I find that all of the new/popular claw AIWB holster designs that I've tried cause the rear sight to rotate away from me. I've tried the Eidolon, JM Claw and Claw 2.0, and Dark Star Gear with the Raven claw. I continue to get the best concealment with Shaggy/Keepers/JM classic or George AIWB holsters.

To summarize, at the end of the day, there isn't a one size fits all science that applies to this stuff. You may have to try multiple different holsters and belts to find what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Gio View Post
    To summarize, at the end of the day, there isn't a one size fits all science that applies to this stuff. You may have to try multiple different holsters and belts to find what works best for you.
    Experimentation and too much $$ spent experimenting - this is why we all end up with a drawer full of holsters and countless belts hanging in the closet!

When out and about I very much prefer carrying my PPS in the AIWB arrangement shown a few posts up. But when I'm working all day from my home office (like today), AIWB gets uncomfortable after a few hours sitting at the desk. For days like today the PPS rides in a Comp-Tac Minotaur at around the 4 o'clock position, which I'm thinking of replacing with a JMCK IWB #3 for ease of re-holstering.

What's another holster at this point?

Thanks for the info. In my search to "beat the champ" (for me) of my current rig, I am trying the Velo. It is an interesting installment in AIWB holster evolution.

On the Velo, the shape of the wedge resembles (though more extreme) the angles that the foam on my JMCK takes on over time so that makes sense to me. I wear 36" waist jeans with the front sight channel at 12:00. Pistol is a G19. Definitely need more wedge so I'll try adding one of the JMCK flat foam thing to it.

I was interested in the trigger guard bump vs a wing as a narrow holster profile allows for optimal placement on the belt. But using the metal clips (also something I was interested in) the torque against the belt seemed too much. It was distorting the normal belt curve creating space right behind the holster, and too much angling the grip in resulted in the front popping out creating space in the front. I added one of the Raven Eidolon two-hole spacers under the back clip and things have flattened out more to my liking.

The metal clips are super low profile and seem very tough to get off. It would be nice to have one more height adjustment hole on the holster to allow for a slightly higher ride as with a less rigid belt I get some sag that drops the holster lower in the pants.

I wonder who the first holster maker to allow for a customizable bump on the holster will be? Just use the ModWing lego pieces but stick them right on the holster body by the rear belt attachment point.

The best jeans I've found that fit me (36x36) are Lucky brand. They mix a bit of spandex in with the denim so you have mobility while not being baggy. Do a good job of stabilizing AIWB gear.

FWIW my current "champ" is the JCMK AIWB Wing Claw 2.0, with both Raven snap loops toward the grip side, foam wedge, and using the DIY Claw. Been using a rigid belt with a small Cobra buckle that can thread through jeans belt loops. For the Tenicor I've been using a Wilderness belt -- looking forward to Craig's recommendation arriving to see what a more flexible belt does for me and the benefit of making adjustments in the front vs the buckle behind the hip.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffm View Post
    HCountyGuy, The VELO is purpose built for just inside the hip, some folks like 12:00 and the dual angled wedge would not work well there. For RH at 1 to 1:30, I think most people will find the two angles of the wedge to optimize concealment and not compromise comfort. Some are finding they want more wedge on the VELO if they are concealing a 17 or 34 with full grip. In that case, you can add a flat piece of foam or anything squishy. No need to contour it as the contour is built in. In the end, 100% satisfaction guaranteed. If you don't like it, I'll take it back with NO silly 30 days or anything like that.
    Last edited by vandal; 05-21-2018 at 03:25 PM.

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    @SouthNarc: why do you prefer a sweat guard on your holster? Every sweat guard-equipped IWB holster I've had (appendix or otherwise) has jabbed me in the side when I do something as simple as kneel with the pistol drawn - and this was the case before I grew the gut. To have the pistol drawn and then actually try to roll around seems like it might be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I'd like to try those newish 5.11 "stretch" jeans but hate to order a pair sight unseen.
    I will second Duluth Trading Company's DuluthFlex pants. Great range of motion, deep pockets, no tacticool appearance.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

User Tag List