Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eblerstock packs? Need to carry ~40 lbs 50 miles

Eblerstock packs? Need to carry ~40 lbs 50 miles

Looking for a robust pack that won't fall apart and has appropriate adjustment/design to carry over a long distance.

Training for a 50-60 mile ruck in November. I've been using a Kelty 44l redwing since May of this year but it has already fallen apart. Tried the "tactical" version which is heavier duty but the harness is fixed and ~2 inches higher than the standard Redwing(doesn't fit at all).

Ruck is 20 hrs and I'm carrying a weight, not stuff, so I don't need ton of volume.

The "Big Trick" and "Hi Speed 2" packs look like about the right size and have the right features, plus they may be useful for shooting related events and hunting in the future.

Anyone have any experience here? I'm not looking to drop $500 on a pack. My ideal pack would be something configured like a Kelty but built like a GoRuck.

And I've tried using my GR1 already. Not having a proper hip belt gets real old after 20 miles.

Check out Hill People Gear.

I'll type more later but I have to put the baby to bed.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Have a Tara and Kit bag. They are well made for sure.

Curious which pack/combo you think is appropriate for 40lbs.

Bit more than I wanted to spend, but quality costs money I suppose.

What about just an ALICE? I'm sure some of our members here could give you some tips on modernizing one, too. The frames are damn cheap, after all.

From an infantry vet friend: "ALICE frame, aftermarket shoulder pads, home made lumbar pad out of a yoga mat and strap the weight plates to the frame."
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 09-11-2018 at 09:46 PM.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Military surplus ILBE (Marine Corps) rucksack. Very nice, very well made ruck for carrying a heavy load and should be able to find for less than $100 complete. I spent too much of my life walking with a ruck - usually a large ALICE ruck - I got this after I retired from Army for hunting and it awesome. Only negative is it is so robust that the ruck is heavy empty.

Site Supporter
    Mystery Ranch rucks are awesome for sure. Saw them at the Infantry conference.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    What about just an ALICE? I'm sure some of our members here could give you some tips on modernizing one, too.
    Not gonna lie - this was my first thought. I initially refrained from posting because it may not have the comfort and sex appeal of some of its more expensive competitors and it's not really "built like a Kelty", but if I were to ruck any substantial distance with 40 lbs, I'd reach for my ALICE. JM2C

(that, and it took far less than 20 miles for me - specifically my upper back - to realize that no hip belt = no bueno with a GR1)

HPG Umlindi or Ute

I am a little bias but I would go with either a HPG Ute or Umlindi with a Connor or Pals front pocket. The Eberlestock is a neat idea. I have found the suspension, waist belt, and harness less than comfortable.

If you need to carry a rifle on the pack get a HPG Pack Bucket and sandwich the rifle between the main pack and front pocket.

I usually use the Ute/Connor as my meat hunting pack. All my hunting gear goes in the Connor. I collapse the main bag until I start loading boned out meat. The Ute will haul two fully boned out Coues with little left for the coyotes. It will haul more than I can shoulder without help.

The Umlindi / Pals pocket is my daily use bag and non-meat hunting bag. With 40lb I would get a Prairie or Recon belt.

The HPG packs are VERY well made and have the best suspension and shoulder harness I have ever tried. Evan and Scot are really great guys to boot. Drop them an email or call for more specifics.

I had an Eberlestock for a while. It was well constructed, but I felt like it was heavier than it needed to be. Ultimately, I sold it because it just didn't fit me right. That's more likely a factor of my really long torso than a slam on Eberlestock.

I can tell you first hand that an HPG Umlindi with a recon belt will carry 35 lbs quite comfortably, though I didn't do it for 50 miles.

A Ute will carry it so well you'll forget you are wearing it.

Is this going to be a regular thing for you? If so, I'd resign myself to spending some money on a pack. You'll either spend the money either once, on a good pack, or on multiple packs lack your Kelty Redwing that will shit the bed in short order.

If this is a one-off event, it's a trickier decision. The low budget route would probably be an ALICE frame. Some folks put an HPG harness on them.

One thing to note is that good packs like HPG and Mystery Ranch hold their value. You could run one for the event and sell it for a sizable fraction of what you paid for it, or if you buy used break even. That is certainly not the case with other brands. I've an Osprey Kestral that I haven't used in years and just keep moving from closet to closet because it isn't even worth the effort to sell it on EBay.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

User Tag List