Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock your doors

He doesn't happen to tout the efficacy of de-barked Chihuahuas, does he?
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

I have all the love and respect in the world for this forum, but for the life of me, how we so thoroughly moved from a sensible post by a man who exudes and epitomizes competence with defensive firearms to complete inanity offered up by a member of a totally separate forum (and thank God for that) is evidence that we should probably let this one die, check that the door is locked, and go hug our families, or dry fire, or shake up a dry Manhattan... something, anything, besides analyzing the words of a perfect ignoramus. JMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I have all the love and respect in the world for this forum, but for the life of me, how we so thoroughly moved from a sensible post by a man who exudes and epitomizes competence with defensive firearms to complete inanity offered up by a member of a totally separate forum (and thank God for that) is evidence that we should probably let this one die, check that the door is locked, and go hug our families, or dry fire, or shake up a dry Manhattan... something, anything, besides analyzing the words of a perfect ignoramus. JMO.

I promise I won't post any more of this guy's posts so we can get back to the base discussion of lock your door.

Banned

Not exactly lock your door but a good video by Massad Ayoob

The great thing about, "lock your doors" it is a preview to what/how the person thinks. It is also the start of a train of ideas that can help us make that life plan. They/we are free to jump off the train whenever they want. Or we can go derp and drive the train into a wall. LOL.

I actually read some of that derps writing. Very complicated for very little security. Lock your doors is simple. I believe the rest of a life plan should be just as simple.

Example:
    I once had a family member who had a very elaborate plan for keeping the guns from his young kids and getting to them in times of trouble. This came up because he wanted to buy another quick open safe for downstairs. After a few minutes I explained how actions of the bad guys or just simple fate could make his plans fail. I explained that he needed a more comfortable life. Him being family and knowing me, he rolled his eyes and asked for the explanation. LOL.

I get up in the morning, put on my comfortable clothes. I strap on my comfortable gun/holster, mag, wallet, keys like I was going to work. Then I reverse that at night. This way I can deal with a force situation at home the same as I deal with one at Walmart. Whether propped up on the couch or driving across country I am comfortable. I took the time/complication to make my life comfortable. Now if something horrible happens I don't have to think about any elaborate plan. (FYI...Walmart is used for illustrative purpose. I will not shop in that zoo no matter the low prices.)

Make the planning more elaborate in order to make the emergency more simple?

An important note I try to remind myself often these days: Derp/Dunning-Kruger effects all of us. It's just a matter of how much and how often we look for it. It's like mold growing in our minds. Ignoring it or assuming it's other people that have it but not us is the classic definition that we in fact do have it. Some of the most ignorant people I've met are considered tactical gods by their peers. I am old enough to have seen how and why they fail. I try not to be that guy but often fail...
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

My city and a neighboring one are getting hammered by a crew of “car surfers”. They’re rolling in 1-2 stolen cars 4-6 deep. The drivers stay in the cars and roll slow while the surfers are checking for unlocked car doors. They’re finding a lot of them. 40-50 vehicle burglaries in one neighborhood overnight. Repeat. They don’t break car windows they don’t need to.

Stolen cars getting a little hot? Just steal some more when you find keys for all the cars in a driveway in an unsecured truck. Same truck thanks for the Shield 9mm dude!

The sad thing even if we find them, unless the air unit is flying, they’ll get away when the fail to yield. Hopefully we can catch some of them out of the cars.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Site Supporter
    I believe I related this story previously, but, it was a good lock-your-doors lesson for my wife.

Wife and I were both working from home. Uneventful weekday afternoon. I'm upstairs in the back of the house, she's downstairs in the front. And I hear....

" <name of City> Police... is anyone home?", clearly coming from inside the house.

After a few tense moments (wife confirmed uniformed officer and marked squad parked a few houses down the street), I come down to meet the officer (after reholstering, concealed). Officer tells us they had an alarm company call and he was investigating. Not only did we not have our alarm go off, but we used a different monitoring service, so, officer says thanks and goes on his way.

About 10 minutes later (after first round of "so you left the back door unlocked, again" discussions), same officer returns and rings the front doorbell. Turns out that the alarm call was for the same house number on a different street in the same neighborhood (streets here have "confusable" names) and the officer showed up at the wrong house. He was apologetic (I thought it was good of him to come back and explain the mistake). We had a brief discussion about homeowners with guns (circumspectly), we thanked him and he was on his way.

Wife is not yet at 100% for locking the side door, but, she's >90% since then. When she rolls her eyes at me when I make a big show about locking the door, I like to say...
    "It's not me that they'll get to first. I'll be upstairs with a gun."
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

A few years back, I was staying at another mission's center in Lae, PNG on a buying trip with a bunch of other dudes.
    It was about 6am, time when I start getting coffee and breakfast together, and the front door bangs open. At the door was a PNG citizen & confidence scam artist.
    Happily, he didn't recognize me (he tried to scam me at the airport once), and was looking for a different group of his expat "buddies". I just plain sent him on his way, woke up the other dudes, and gave them a lecture about the need for locking the doors.

Later that morning, I had a chat with the staff of the center, as there was always the possibility the man would come back later and try to convince them that he was one of our party, and needed to grab a few items we had forgotten. Happily, the staff knew the guy and wasn't going to fall for it.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Banned
    The homeless population in Colorado Springs has TRIPLED in Colorado Springs since Marijuana was legalized. There essentially ARE no good neighborhoods left.

There's been a wave of car break ins and burglaries in town. Whenever the news shows video it shows the thieves going straight down the street checking every car door on the block. I'm always surprised how many cars are unlocked. There's also been an increase in armed robberies and home invasion robberies.

I really believe that a big part of the reason I think about physical security is because for 8 of the 10 years I've been doing security my mission has been specifically to walk around the site and actually try to open doors and gates and vehicles. One thing I found is that if you check doors long enough you WILL find one open.

I'm surprised that so many people around me don't think about stuff like that. When I was a roving guard for the utilities I drove through most of Colorado Springs every night and I was surprised at how many people leave their garage doors open all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm surprised that so many people around me don't think about stuff like that. When I was a roving guard for the utilities I drove through most of Colorado Springs every night and I was surprised at how many people leave their garage doors open all night.
    I used to have an off duty job patrolling a neighborhood from 2200-0400. The HOA wanted us to locate open garage doors and tell the homeowner. My partner and I usually found 4-6 garage doors open a night.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

User Tag List