Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock your doors

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I was watching the local news and there was a story about a woman who left her car unlocked in the driveway, with a garage door opener in it, and when they woke in the morning, surprise, some of their shit was missing. This after every PD in S. FL has been issuing warnings about car break-ins for years.
    My garage door opener lives on my key chain, not in my car.

My car stays clean inside with nothing at all visible from the outside. I am make sure there is nothing in the car with my name and/or address on it. No receipts, proof of liability/insurance. vehicle registration, etc.

If the car is broken into, it's more difficult to find my home and enter it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post

Long post warning
    My God! It's full of Derp!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    My God! It's full of Derp!
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    This was his response to my suggestion that he lock his door.

Did you say that I could use a class in home security? Junior, I teach home security; and I've, also, been repeatedly told that I teach the subject well.
    (The rest of his rambling nonsense omitted.)

Wow, I am sorry I asked what his response was. My apologies. I did not want to make you have to revisit whatever forum it was on and relive that stuff.

I seriously doubt that he teaches home security, since the first thing someone who teaches that would do would do is teach is to lock your doors.

Okay, so here we have someone who by his description was on crutches, had just returned from the hospital and was too weak to call out loudly, but somehow doesn't recognize the value of locking his doors and carrying a round in the chamber to maximize his chances of getting his gun into play in his weakened condition where there are no barriers to a criminal simply walking or rushing into his house.

What a bunch of nonsense he wrote. Some of the stupidest things I have seen on a gun forum. I don't know if the guy is a troll or a moron or what. He tries to come across as speaking authoritatively, but the level of sheer stupidity is astounding.

It goes far beyond derp. If people who write derp were to ever discover that people here referred to it as derp, those people would get so upset that they would no doubt start a movement known as Derp Posts Matter.

If this clown is teaching "home security" and teaching people not to lock their doors, he's guilty of theft.

[QUOTE=mtnbkr;742507]So, it was exactly as I suggested above, but instead of using his gun, he wants to use his dogs. This guy is practically begging for someone to come in and get mauled.

Assuming that it happened as the guy told, the situation did not work out as he had planned since the dogs did nothing. So much for his plan. A dog is a layer of security and subject to a lot of issues (they may not perform as expected, they may be in the yard at the time they are needed in the house, etc). The locked door is the first level and if you have a dog that is protective you need to keep your doors locked to make sure that someone who isn't a threat will open the door and walk in--be it a visitor or someone who has the wrong house--and get bitten or mauled.

I am trying to figure out what the point of this guy's post was. He doesn't lock his doors, he doesn't keep a round in his chamber--especially when he is in a weakened physical condition, and his dogs did not deter the intruder, nor attack him or even bark at him. The guy's post should have been titled 'I am a moron and my entire philosophy on self defense and home protection was nonsense."

Next he will be posting that he was texting while driving without his seatbelt on and complain about an accident he got into.

As for the rest of your post, it is exactly that sort of forum member that has me not visiting most gun forums any longer.
    I agree with your sentiment about not visiting most gun forums--especially ones populated by the person quoted. I prefer not to even read that stupidity. I have long gotten past the point where I have the time and inclination to get into debates with people like that. This makes me thankful for the high standard of posters that we have on this forum.

Sadly, the definition of Dunning-Kruger in wiki is now going to link to that post as an example.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-20-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondering Beard View Post

So I wasn't the only one that made that connection

Banned
    Here is his dog story in his words. There's also a story about how got himself in a domestic and then realized he forgot his gun at home.

Originally Posted by Smoke
    ....... The idea of carrying only sometimes never made sense to me? Why carry some times and not others? What is it about whatever you’re doing now that makes it so inherently dangerous that you feel the need to carry this time? If it’s so dangerous that you feel you need a gun why are you doing it?

Of course I realize that there are times when you just can't carry but I'm talking about just carrying when you feel like it
    (I'm Smoke and the topic of the thread was "Why would you only carry when you thought you might need it.)

Derpmiester:
    The above is one of the most egocentric gun-related arguments that I've ever read! (Until I looked at your profile I thought you might be a shill who had come here looking for trouble - I really did!) Why I carry a gun has little or nothing to do with what I may, or may not, be doing. It has nothing to do with any possible danger from my immediate environment, either.

I carry a gun because, in point of fact, I don't know what might happen to me in the next: minute, hour, day, or week. I carry a gun because, contrary to popular opinion, OTHER PEOPLE ARE NOT ALL ESSENTIALLY GOOD. I wish people-in-general were good; but they're not; and THAT is a reality we, all, have to live with every single day of our lives.

Contrary to what's going on, right now, in American politics, there is no law that (directly) states, 'It is illegal to either defend yourself, or to anticipate a need for self-defense.' Thinking back over my life, the morning our home was invaded by a huge, filthy dirty, street vagrant I didn't have a gun. I was downstairs when he walked through our unlocked front door; and my gun was upstairs in the bedroom closet. (To this day this is one of the closest calls I can remember.)

Then, years later, on a bright and sunny Sunday afternoon I very carelessly put on my holster, but forgot to put my gun in it before leaving home. (Only time in my life that I ever did anything like that; but I did it.) Later that day when my wife and I were deep inside the Delaware State Forest on some lonely back road, we crested a hill to see a brand new, cherry-red Volkswagen stopped right in the middle of the road. A woman jumped out; and a man began chasing her round and round the car.

When he caught her he began beating her at and about the head with everything he had! I really didn't want to get involved; but, I thought that if someone didn't stop him he might kill her. So I got out of our vehicle, and yelled at him to stop! He didn't take my intervention well. Next thing I know he gives me this incredibly evil look, lets the woman go, and starts reaching into the back of his Volkswagen for something.

I didn't wait! I put my support foot forward, brushed my cover jacket aside, took a combat stance, and reached for my holster - My surprisingly empty holster! There I was with an empty holster, two extra magazines, and no gun! He glared at me; and, without any other options, I narrowed my eyes and started back at him. I had to think fast; and, without any viable alternatives, I decided my best chance to survive against this fellow, who was younger and much larger than I am, was to do my best imitation of, 'faking it'. So, with my gun hand at my side and from a gunman's crouch, I yelled at him, 'Don't make me do it!'

Then came a long pregnant pause until finally the ruse worked; and, leaving his car right there in the middle of the road, the brute ran off into the woods. (Close one!)

That's two times when I should have had a gun that I did not. Personally, I find it ironic that anyone who also carries a gun would ask me why I was doing the same thing? I don't want trouble; I don't go out looking for trouble; I deliberately limit my nighttime activities; and I tend to avoid large crowds; but, DOES ANY OF THIS MAKE ME AND MINE SAFE?

(Of course not! If I don't go to them then they simply come to the house.)

And a clarification of the dog story

As far as the unlocked front door goes? We lived in a beautiful home, in a very nice neighborhood, and the town's large (80 + officers) police station was only two blocks away - So, how safe is that! There was, also, a plainly visible metallic sign on the right-hand lentil of our front door. It read, 'Warning: Guard Dogs On Premises. Do Not Enter Without Permission.'

The fellow who came into our home that morning had to walk right past that sign; and there is no way a sober, unimpaired person could have missed it! To this day, I've never quite understood how the fellow could do that - Drugs, or alcohol maybe? (However, since you've decided to dwell on this event, for your next, 'spitball' why don't you ask me what happened to him? It's another great story on, 'Why' being prepared and having an immediate means of adequate self-defense is so important.)

Another thing: What's with the, 'acting like a policeman' remark? Another poster told him he was acting as a police officer by involving himself in the DV incident Do you really believe that; or are you just trying to be humorous? What would you do if you were to turn a corner and suddenly see a large man severely beating a woman? Are you suggesting that if you were in a similar situation you wouldn't become involved? (I don't understand? How can you be so disinterested, so socially insensitive?)

Personally I think your advice, your obvious attitude, is remarkably antisocial; I really do. I know my parents didn't raise me to behave that way; but, as your comments suggest, the social climate in America is rapidly changing and, perhaps, not for the better! Indeed, today it might be wise (if not entirely moral) to ignore other people's hardships - Especially other people whom you really do not know! Times are changing! Neither, 'acting like a policeman', or being a, 'good Samaritan' seems to be as appropriate nowadays as it once was.

You're able to appreciate the idea of being socially concerned, and becoming personally involved in what might be an uncomfortable, or even a potentially dangerous social situation; aren't you! You're NOT saying that you'd quickly get up and walk out of a movie theater the moment you heard gunshots - Right? If so, then, why carry a gun in the first place? Do you read? Do you know what Hemingway said? 'No man is an island unto himself ....... .' (Look it up!) Personally I think that each of us, by nothing more than the simple fact that we exist, owes a certain humanitarian debt to others. Surely, you do too - Yes!
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-20-2018 at 11:29 PM.

Banned
    [QUOTE=Ed L;742694]
    Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Assuming that it happened as the guy told, the situation did not work out as he had planned since the dogs did nothing. -SNIP- his dogs did not deter the intruder, nor attack him or even bark at him.
    In one interation of the story the guy tells us that the dirty, filthy, drunk, vagrant sees the dogs and realizes his mortal peril and takes off. I've also noticed that in almost every other place the guy has posted this story he refers to the dogs as his "Superlatively trained pitbulls" because he's an expert dog trainer too.

When he was explaining the story about the empty holster he explained that forgot to put his gun on because he was loading his "Superlatively trained Rottweilers" into the back of his vehicle.
    Last edited by Cypher; 05-21-2018 at 01:08 AM.

User Tag List