Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock your doors

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Regarding old and shitty locks on cars...
    My 21yo 4Runner was the same way, with the problem starting with the rear gate lock, proceeding to the driver's door, and ultimately impacting the passenger door. I thought I was looking at replacing 3 door locks. Then, due to a flash of inspiration (and some desperation), I grabbed a can of WD-40 and squirted it liberally into each keyhole. After sitting overnight, each lock started working again and has done nothing but improve since.

Worth a try if you haven't done so already...

Chris
    You might double check with a locksmith's recommendation. Graphite powder is the usual option but they might have another idea. Excess powder may stain clothes.

If I'm not going back and forth constantly through a door, it gets locked, period. No reason to not lock your doors or engage needlessly with unknown contacts.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Fucking shame that even has to be said.......
    Claude Werner posted this on Facebeast and people were actually arguing that the thief had no business in their car (which is true) and that absolved them of any responsibility to secure the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Claude Werner posted this on Facebeast and people were actually arguing that the thief had no business in their car (which is true) and that absolved them of any responsibility to secure the gun.
    In a parallel universe...

...the founding fathers weren't tyrants therefore that absolved them of any responsibility to secure their freedom.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    I have pissed off my wife more than once by locking the garage door behind me when I come inside and she is out and about in her car.. A habit that I don't want to break, but now I stop and think - Is my wife home or do I need to not lock the garage door so I won't get yelled at?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by schüler View Post
    You might double check with a locksmith's recommendation. Graphite powder is the usual option but they might have another idea. Excess powder may stain clothes.
    Yup. I even have a tube of graphite. However, I can never seem to get it to go where I needed it. The WD-40 was a quick and dirty move out of desperation and to validate my belief (hope) that it was a lubrication issue rather than worn out locks.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by mtnbkr View Post
    Yup. I even have a tube of graphite. However, I can never seem to get it to go where I needed it. The WD-40 was a quick and dirty move out of desperation and to validate my belief (hope) that it was a lubrication issue rather than worn out locks.

Chris
    Gotcha. I've seen the metal and plastic puff bottles and even a baby booger bulb (?) used along with powdering while working the key in amd out.

I'm also a huge advocate of locking one's doors. Vehicle and house.

I also close all interior doors when I prepare to leave the house. If I return home and find bedroom and bathroom doors open, it's a clear indication an unauthorized person has been in the house.

Quote Originally Posted by Horseman View Post
    A methy dude from the big city started doing "knock-knock" daytime burglaries in a "nuthin' happens here" area near me, a few years ago.

He got away with this routine EIGHTY-SIX times or so, before a suspicious person noted his plate number and called him in:

1. Knock on doors in upper-working class neighborhood during working hours.
    2. If someone answers, give bogus story about looking for non-existent friend's house.
    3. If no answer, try door knob.
    4. If locked, walk away and try another place.
    5. If unlocked, go to bedroom, grab pillow-case from bed, fill up with anything good from bedroom area: Jewelry, cash, narcotics, small firearms, electronic devices, marital aids, etc.
    6. Calmly walk out and drive away.

His time on target? By his own reckoning, something like two to three minutes.

LOCK YOUR FREAKING DOORS, ALREADY.
    That’s is the MO for a lot of burglars. Most will kick the back door or break a back window to get in. The surprising thing is most people think burglaries happen at night. Nope it’s day time burglaries.

My pet peeve for burglary response by patrol is the lack of rear perimeter. My personal SOP is set the rear perimeter first before anyone approaches up front. Nope it’s let’s go to the front followed by frantic radio traffic about runners out back.
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by SAWBONES View Post
    Yup.
    Locking a car door or house outer door takes but a second.

We ain't livin' in the 1950s anymore!
    The 1950s weren't any safer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood

Our doors are locked when we're in the house, when working in the yard where we cannot readily see the door, and when we're gone. It drives my dad nuts when he visits because he's a chronic unlocked car and house guy. Of course he had his unlocked truck entered in a very rural area, and our cars were untouched during a rash of car burglaries in our hood.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

User Tag List