Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock your doors

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I heard you were a good shot, but that's damned impressive.
    I try and line um up. Why use more rounds than you need to?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnO View Post
    Nope, no pics. I can't remember if i had my phone on me. I vividly remember how happy I was that I was cutting the grass with a concealed pistol.
    I Had a similar experience as JohnO a town over. Two folks whom appeared out of place walked down my 100’ driveway off a road with no sidewalks up to my front door. Two dudes walked up to the front door,booted the bottom of the door itself several times and rang the bell about 10x. Our dog (pit boxer mix) was barking at them through the front window which was slightly opened which caught their attention. They dumped off the front steps and back out to the road.

Lock your doors!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Look! Just because we're bereaved, that doesn't make us saps!

We get door to door guys about 2x per month. They knock at the front door and without them knowing I will walk out the back garage door, locking it behind me.

Once outside I can scan for anybody lurking about or hiding and I now have the drop on the guy at my front door. I leave a vehicle in my driveway so I position myself on the driver side of the hood and verbally engage them. I have a clear line of sight to the front step, front yard, and side of the garage. I've got the vehicle and engine block separating me from him as well. I'll be polite but firm that I'm not interested and they usually get the vibe and head off. The fact that if I'm out of bed I'm armed helps too.

Doors are always locked. I've always felt vunerable at the front door, once it's open, even a crack, it's not difficult to overpower someone and push through and enter the house. Now I'm in a world of hurt, 4 young kids and a wife in the house with me.
    Last edited by Drew78; 06-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew78 View Post
    We get door to door guys about 2x per month. They knock at the front door and without them knowing I will walk out the back garage door, locking it behind me.

Once outside I can scan for anybody lurking about or hiding and I now have the drop on the guy at my front door. I leave a vehicle in my driveway so I position myself on the driver side of the hood and verbally engage them. I have a clear line of sight to the front step, front yard, and side of the garage. I've got the vehicle and engine block separating me from him as well. I'll be polite but firm that I'm not interested and they usually get the vibe and head off. The fact that if I'm out of bed I'm armed helps too.

Doors are always locked. I've always felt vunerable at the front door, once it's open, even a crack, it's not difficult to overpower someone and push through and enter the house. Now I'm in a world of hurt, 4 young kids and a wife in the house with me.
    I'm sorry but leaving the house unnecessarily just seems like asking for trouble. When I lived in a home I simply opened a window and said go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Did you get a picture of them for reference?
    We get a decent number of "magazine sales" teams around my neck of the woods in the summer. Two yutes to a team, by the white panel van full. Always want to use the bathroom. I have found that snapping a pic with the cell phone is like garlic to a vampire; they tend to pack up the clipboards and make their farewells.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I'm sorry but leaving the house unnecessarily just seems like asking for trouble. When I lived in a home I simply opened a window and said go away.
    I agree. I would talk to them through the door or use a nearby window.

I don't see any reason to open the door, even a crack.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I agree. I would talk to them through the door or use a nearby window.

I don't see any reason to open the door, even a crack.
    I get it fellas, I really do.

I'm not expecting any of these door knocks to go sideways and that's not my reasoning for going outside. The last thing I want is any kind of altercation, verbal or physical. The front of my house has a lot of glass around the front door (we didn't build the house). My kids are young and of course want to run to the front door glass and see who is there. I've instructed my kids to ignore the door, I greet the door knocker outside to get them away from my door, this keeps them from looking into the house, seeing my kids, ect....

Banned
    I get it fellas, I really do.

I'm not expecting any of these door knocks to go sideways and that's not my reasoning for going outside. The last thing I want is any kind of altercation, verbal or physical. The front of my house has a lot of glass around the front door (we didn't build the house). My kids are young and of course want to run to the front door glass and see who is there. I've instructed my kids to ignore the door, I greet the door knocker outside to get them away from my door, this keeps them from looking into the house, seeing my kids, ect....

I want to be very careful how I say this but there are still better options than going outside.

If you don't expect these encounters to go sideways why does it matter if the salesman sees inside your widows? If privacy were that much of a concern to me (it is) I'd either have curtains or reflective film on those windows.

My final thought is that if you're ever wrong and it does go sideways one of the first questions the police are going to ask is why did you leave the house?

I want to be very careful how I say this but there are still better options than going outside.

If you don't expect these encounters to go sideways why does it matter if the salesman sees inside your widows? If privacy were that much of a concern to me (it is) I'd either have curtains or reflective film on those windows.

My final thought is that if you're ever wrong and it does go sideways one of the first questions the police are going to ask is why did you leave the house?
    There's just too much here to unpack here and honestly I don't have the interest or time to do so. I will say that i appreciate your thoughts!

If you don't expect any of these to go sideways then why do you exit your house (while being presumably armed) through the garage and lock it after you and put a car engine block between you and the person who knocked on the door?

A better strategy would be to pull the window by the door aside by the door and ask what they want. As soon as they try to sell you anything or ask for something say something like "sorry I am not interested," or "sorry I can't help you," or if the have a poll, tell then "I am not interested/or sorry I can't help you" and then close the blinds and walk away. If these people are up to nefarious things they are likely trying to use a ruse to gain entrance into your house. Don't let them drag you into dialog--this is something all salesmen want. You may even have to repeat, "sorry, I am not interested," and walk away.

Mt final Thought is that if you're ever wrong and it does go sideways one of the first questions the police are going to ask is why did you leave the house?
    That is exactly right. It is hard to make the case that you were in fear of your life when you exit a house to engage or confront someone. I cannot tell you how many shootings I know of or have read about that went sideways that were otherwise avoidable because the homeowner exited the house to confront someone who otherwise would not have been a threat to them.
    Last edited by Ed L; 06-06-2018 at 03:18 PM.

User Tag List