Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock your doors

Site Supporter
    I don't always agree with Greg Ellifritz but he is spot on here.

Fucking shame that even has to be said.......
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't always agree with Greg Ellifritz but he is spot on here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Prdator View Post
    Fucking shame that even has to be said.......
    Sorta funny that this came up today. (I had read the blog post a few hours ago.)

Yesterday, as I was going downstairs to lift weights my wife said she was going to vacuum. The dog was out on the deck relaxing and I told her to lock the door to the deck.

(Mind you, we live in a very low crime Mayberry-esque semi-rural setting.) She looked askance at me and I told her that she wouldn't be able to hear if someone came in off the deck over the noise of the vacuum, and I'd be oblivious to what was going on upstairs unless I heard footsteps or a ruckus and by then it would be too late to have headed trouble off.

I hate making her even think that she's a potential victim in her own home, where in 15 years I can't think of a crime within our small subdivision or adjoining area, but that's the world we live in and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Feelings notwithstanding.

She knows where the guns are and there is always at least one available to her at all times.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Yup.
    Locking a car door or house outer door takes but a second.

We ain't livin' in the 1950s anymore!
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Living across the Golden Bridge , and through the Rainbow Tunnel, somewhere north of Fantasyland.
    Interesting his thoughts on the demographics of car burglars in his area. Used the be the same here....90% were crack or heroin addicts, or the homeless, looking for a quick score. Now, it's virtually all organized gangs bangers, targeting tourist areas and rental cars. They're also often armed, and will commit the occasional opportunistic robbery if it presents itself. Way different animal than it used to be.

My family lives in an access controlled, high-rise condominium building. Our garage is mag key accessible, with steel gates that close immediately after passing through. Somehow, car prowlers have managed to sneak in and burglarize cars. And, just like Greg said, they’re all unlocked!

Amazing to me that in this day and age, when locking a vehicle requires PUSHING A BUTTON, that people are lazy enough to not do that, and thus they suffer loss!

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Amazing to me that in this day and age, when locking a vehicle requires PUSHING A BUTTON, that people are lazy enough to not do that, and thus they suffer loss!
    Pushing that button also requires them to face the fact that people may not be like them, and in fact bad things can happen to people that live in even relatively nice areas.

I had a roommate that would refuse to lock the doors, and when I asked why he claimed we lived in a nice area (true, relatively low crime). One day, I decided to walk in without announcing myself. He heard the door open and close, and called out. When I didn't answer, he asked again who was there. The fear in his voice was palpable. I came around the corner and said hi, and he damn near pissed himself.

Clearly, in the moment he was scared. Did it change his worldview? Nope, better to pretend you're safe in a bubble than face the reality that doors and locks were invented for a reason. I believe that even if you KNOW that no one will come in and physically victimize you if you leave the doors unlocked and you have insurance for your stolen stuff, the psychological costs of no longer feeling safe in your own home after a burglary is enough to warrant locking the doors.

Site Supporter
    I keep things locked up (doorknobs and deadbolts on all doors), much to the chagrin of my family. However, the one time we were burglarized, it was not because we left a door unlocked. They tried breaking a window on the backdoor, found a double-keyed deadbolt, and proceeded to kick the door in until they gained entrance to the house. This was a daytime robbery, so we were at work. The neighbor behind us heard the commotion and witnessed the "youts" climbing over our back fence and called the police. Wifey came home from work, unaware, just before the cops arrived. She called me wondering why I had left the basement and foyer closet doors wide open. At first I was like "I don't remember, I must have been in a hurry...oh shit, I never opened the closet door. Someone's been in the house, get out!". I think I made the drive from my office to the house in record time. As she was leaving the house, the police showed up.

They caught one of the robbers not 100yds from the house because he stopped to bash open a lockbox with a rock. Cops heard him wailing away on it. While he apparently broke down in tears under questioning, he never gave up his homies. Per the fingerprints, this was a crew committing burglaries all around the region. Apparently the MO was to knock on the front door and if nobody answered, go around back and break in.

Insurance covered our losses and then some (due to us not replacing everything that was stolen). We used the excess to pay for the beach house we rented that summer. I almost sent a postcard to the perp while we were there.

Chris

I’ve got two thoughts on this.

One: whomsoever leaves a “truck gun” in an unlocked and unattended vehicle has done evil in the sight of the lord.
    Two: automated key fob systems are a thief’s best friend. If the vehicle won’t lock unless the key fob is 7 yards away,I view that as a liability and not a convenience.

While not a home burglary per se, my apartment building experienced a break in due to someone propping the secure entry door open. Bad guy thus entered and did Bad Guy things.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List