Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Lock your doors

There's a product called "Lock-Ease" that my BinL the locksmith uses for car locks.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post

Well, the 1950s were usually safer. Sure, the occasional atrocities occurred.

In the Chicago suburb where I grew up back then, my Dad never locked the car when we drove to the grocery store, and our front and back doors were often unlocked during the day as long as someone was home, though the doors were always locked at night, or if we weren't home.

We knew all our neighbors and they knew us for blocks around.
    We walked to the nearby elementary school every day.

Never a single burglary, robbery or assault ever occurred there up until when I left home in '69.
    It's still a pretty safe neighborhood.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Banned
    There was a guy who used to post on various forums who repeatedly told a story about some crackhead that apparently walked right past several Beware of Dog/ No trespassing signs and walked right through his front door.

He would become absolutely LIVID if anyone would dare to suggest that simply locking his door would have prevented the guy from entering the home. He would respond that by God he wasn't going to live in fear behind locked doors.

I don't understand that attitude and it seems common on gun fori. It's like it's a badge of manliness not to lock your door.

I'm pretty sure I've said this here before but I always think avoiding a criminal encounter beats winning one every time

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    I don't understand that attitude and it seems common on gun fori. It's like it's a badge of manliness not to lock your door.
    I don't think I've run into that one and I have (inactive mostly these days) memberships on an embarrassingly large number of gun forums. My cynical side would say this is so they get the opportunity to use their shiny HD or CCW gun. Mah castle and all that...

I'm pretty sure I've said this here before but I always think avoiding a criminal encounter beats winning one every time
    That's certainly my gameplan. It was disruptive and stressful enough just dealing with a break-in where we had no direct interaction with the bad guys.

Chris

There was a guy who used to post on various forums who repeatedly told a story about some crackhead that apparently walked right past several Beware of Dog/ No trespassing signs and walked right through his front door.

He would become absolutely LIVID if anyone would dare to suggest that simply locking his door would have prevented the guy from entering the home. He would respond that by God he wasn't going to live in fear behind locked doors.

By that logic, he should be indignant about having to keep a loaded gun around for self defense.

Not locking your door is putting yourself at a huge tactical disadvantage because someone or a group of people could rush in and get the drop on you or be on top of you before you can react.

That line of thinking is so braindead that I don't even know how to address it when it comes from someone who owns or carries a gun for defensive purposes.

A locked door is a first line of defense, and as the article shows, it is enough to stop criminals who go around looking for an unlocked door.

If you have a strong door with good locks and double cylinder locks on any door that has glass in it or is near a window, and maybe an alarm system, it means that in order to break in a burglar will have to expend time and effort and make noise, which will alert you and give you time to have your gun out and ready, or hopefully deter the criminal in the first place.

There are certain forums that exist on them a culture of stupidity. They typically have running threads on whether you should carry with a round in the chamber every few days along with stupid hypotheticals and "it happened to me" stories which are either read questionable in veracity or display extreme stupidity on the part of the person who started it.
    Last edited by Ed L; 05-17-2018 at 05:17 PM.

When I met my wife, she never locker her house either. but she had a vicious mutt roaming the house. I urged her to lock the doors, not only to protect our belongings, but to protect the neighbors. Heaven forbid a young child to walk through the front door
    Last edited by theJanitor; 05-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.

Site Supporter
    Warren Wilson calls these people "ignorance enthusiasts". How apt.

I've had people tell me they don't lock their car/truck because a theif will just smash the windows and take what they want. Somehow, they think they are saving money by just having their belongings stolen from inside the vehicle.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who leave their garage doors open all the time. Besides putting a virtual "Come steal this stuff" sign on everything inside, they also make it easier for scumbags to break into their house while concealed within the garage.
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I've had people tell me they don't lock their car/truck because a theif will just smash the windows and take what they want. Somehow, they think they are saving money by just having their belongings stolen from inside the vehicle.

Another pet peeve of mine is people who leave their garage doors open all the time. Besides putting a virtual "Come steal this stuff" sign on everything inside, they also make it easier for scumbags to break into their house while concealed within the garage.
    I bought stolen cars from a guy that used to drive neighborhoods looking for open garage doors. He’d find cars unlocked with keys in the ignition and drive off. LATER!!
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

My town has had a recent rash of thefts from cars. A family I know lost items from 3 cars during one night. I asked if any of the cars were locked and the response was no. These are folks who both the husband and wife got pistol permits and a German Shepherd Dog in response to the Cheshire Home Invasion. Something as simple as locking the doors could have saved them a headache. From what I read in the town newspaper none of the cars burglarized during this spree were broken into they were all unlocked.

A while back my son and I attended a town council meeting for one of his Boy Scout requirements. The Police Chief testified about the stolen cars in town. Police would find one car that had been stolen from a nearby city and 3 to 4 cars reported missing. All the cars taken had keys inside. Really! What easy pickings. People are clueless as this happened multiple times and has been going on for years.

https://patch.com/connecticut/cheshi...heshire-police
    "The one commonality in all the thefts... the vehicles were unlocked and in the case of the stolen cars, the keys were left in them," police wrote in a post on Facebook. "We are again asking residents to be vigilant and take the steps necessary to protect yourselves. Lock your car and house at night, don't leave your keys in your car, close your garage doors, put outside lights on - and if you see or hear something CALL US."
    Last edited by JohnO; 05-18-2018 at 09:12 AM.

User Tag List