Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7151617

Thread: Lock your doors

Site Supporter
    Bumping this because the following was just posted to my local Nextdoor forum:

so this guy just opened not only my glass door but my actual front door and left his card. my dogs and I both heard it open and they went ballistic as I loudly said "Hello??" He just walked off towards my neighbors house.
    Bolding mine.

Boggles.the.fucking.mind.

Chris

Several years ago at work, I went into my locked research lab early one morning and found some strange guy in there looking at the equipment. I asked pretty assertively who the fuck he was. Guy responded that he was "my XYZ Corp. sales representative", and he was looking into my equipment needs. Then I asked him how he got into my LOCKED lab, which has individual passcode access. He tried to tell me that the door was unlocked, but abandoned that after I told him not to lie to me. It turns out that sales reps know the default codes of pretty much every passcode system.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 10-08-2018 at 01:22 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Banned

Not sure this is in context for this thread but...

I work third shift as a guard for one of the big shipping companies. By the time my shift starts most of the trucks are in for the night so the first thing I do every night is to walk through the lot and check every door on every truck in the lot. I realize that if I check trucks long enough I'm going to find doors open but I find the same four trucks unlocked at least 3 times a week.

At the end of that round I always report which trucks are unlocked to the client supervisor and every night he bitches about "those damned drivers" and how they don't lock their trucks but nothing ever changes.

I worked at one place where one of the engineers left his office door open every night. I mentioned it to him one morning and he told me he didn't bother locking the door because he knew I'd be along at some point and I'd lock it.

Wonder what he'd do if something turned up missing from his office.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Several years ago at work, I went into my locked research lab early one morning and found some strange guy in there looking at the equipment. I asked pretty assertively who the fuck he was. Guy responded that he was "my XYZ Corp. sales representative", and he was looking into my equipment needs. Then I asked him how he got into my LOCKED lab, which has individual passcode access. He tried to tell me that the door was unlocked, but abandoned that after I told him not to lie to me. It turns out that sales reps know the default codes of pretty much every passcode system.
    Ours are all RFID keycard locked.

Site Supporter
    Another idiot in my 'hood:

Car break in last night or this morning. My Jeep was unlocked. The thief took cash and an iPhone cord. I’ll start locking my doors, most of the time we do. We will be installing a security system in the next week. They didn’t take the garage door opener. I’m sure they are just kids. Keep your doors locked.
    No, they cloned your garage door opener and will be returning to empty your house.

Morons.

Chris

Bet this woman starts locking her doors now:

https://www.boston25news.com/news/st...-bed/865461933
    “Conspiracy theories are just spoiler alerts these days.”

Site Supporter

lock your car and take your keys

And in my area in Wisconsin, this trend continues. Every week at least three instances where somebody gets their car stolen because they left it unlocked with the keys in it.

Multiple instances of unlocked cars being entered and then the garage door opener is used to enter the house, where the thieves steal cash and car keys and whatever they can get quickly and then leave, often taking a vehicle with them.

Every damn week.

The news media has been really good about reporting all these incidents and admonishing people to lock up their cars and their homes, but it would seem that nobody is paying any attention.

Around here, cops WILL NOT get into a pursuit after a stolen car in most circumstances. It isn't worth the risk of an accident that injures the innocent, particularly when the stolen vehicle was stolen because it was unlocked and the keys were left in the ignition.

Fortunately and so far, in the instances where occupied homes were entered, the occupants weren't harmed and weren't even aware anybody had entered until later. This good luck will probably not continue on forever. The news media keeps referring to these incidents as "home invasions" and they aren't really, but whatever.

Many of the offenders are juveniles, with no concept of possible consequences.

This has a hilarious outcome, but could very easily have gone south with a slight change in circumstances or participants. Substitute tweaker for drunk, or a homeowner with a crazy stalker ex. Drunk Scottish guy awakened in the wrong house, thankfully with American subtitles: https://digg.com/video/drunk-scottis...mJeWZ2cUyZTpQw

I doubt it'd have gone as well here...speaking for myself.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

User Tag List