Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: CMP announces 1911 prices

I do find it interesting that when the WWII vets came home, those who wanted or needed a handgun went and bought revolvers for the most part.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

You don't go to the CMP looking for a cheap "shooter", the prices are standard for what they sell.

I wouldn't get one, but I have no real interest in a historical 1911 piece (or 1911s in general). I bought my Garand, I'm good.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    I do find it interesting that when the WWII vets came home, those who wanted or needed a handgun went and bought revolvers for the most part.
    Based on preference or price, I wonder?

As far as the CMP pistols themselves, I think the prices are pretty fair considering the crazy market for appropriately marked US Govt 1911's. A typical "Service Grade" GI 1911 will be north of $1500 consistently on Gunbroker, and some of the more desirable manufacturers like Remington Rand will start around $1900. Get lucky enough to find a Singer on Gunbroker and be prepared to pay Wilson money, and not the baseline CQB type. I fully expect the online market to flood, and in a couple/few years, the prices will drop as supply starts to equalize demand.

On a side note, because comparisons were made... These are history pieces, albeit of unknown history, and likely shouldn't be compared to current 1911 offerings as a value proposition for someone looking to buy a shooter. Two different animals, IMO.

I can sort of kind of understand (but not afford) the pricing on the ones in good shape, but $850 for a gun that they explicitly state will exhibit rust and pitting on both outer and friction surfaces? Nope, nope, all kinds of nope. That sounds worthless as either a shooter or a collectable piece of history, and if I could somehow justify the cost, I'd want it to be both something to appreciate for history's sake *and* something I could at least occasionally enjoy at the range. So while it'd be really cool to own something like what my grandfather would have been issued in WWII, unless the pricing gets a LOT more reasonable, I won't be acquiring a CMP 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I can sort of kind of understand (but not afford) the pricing on the ones in good shape, but $850 for a gun that they explicitly state will exhibit rust and pitting on both outer and friction surfaces? Nope, nope, all kinds of nope. That sounds worthless as either a shooter or a collectable piece of history, and if I could somehow justify the cost, I'd want it to be both something to appreciate for history's sake *and* something I could at least occasionally enjoy at the range. So while it'd be really cool to own something like what my grandfather would have been issued in WWII, unless the pricing gets a LOT more reasonable, I won't be acquiring a CMP 1911.
    Now imagine putting that inoperable $850 1911 in a $30 shadow box, writing up an amazing "authentic" story about how it was used in every battle over the last 75 years, how it was lost in some rice paddy in Vietnam and rediscovered in panama, and finished its service in the gulf. Now put it on gunbroker for $2,000. I imagine that's what will happen to a lot of the lower end models. End up as wall hangers, or someone will get creative in trying to flip them.

Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    My 2016-production Series 80 O1091 was about $800. I have little doubt it's a superior pistol. I have to pass on this one, I'm afraid. A beat-to-hell pistol from 1983 doesn't have the same luster to me as a WW2-issue gun.
    The CMP guns, by definition will be 1945 or earlier production; the military was so awash with 1911s after WWII no further production/acquisition was ever deemed necessary, and armorers/echelon repair continued to maintain/repair/refurbish/rebuild as necessary out of existing stocks.

Best, Jon

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    Get lucky enough to find a Singer on Gunbroker and be prepared to pay Wilson money, and not the baseline CQB type.
    If you find a genuine Singer on GB or anywhere else for Wilson money, buy it!

All things considered, I will probably throw my name in the hat knowing I am not obligated. I would like one for historical purposes and because I was issued one when I was in before we switched to Berettas. If it doesn’t look like it is a good deal at the time, or all that are left are rack grade, I will pass.
    Polite Professional

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I'm not a gambling man, so I won't bet $850 on terminology. FWIW the M9s in one high volume training program armory didn't look like they had one M9's worth of finish left between them. I'd hate to guess what an un-issuable one looked like.
    My experiences with the M9 weren't quite that extreme (also not a "high volume training program"), but they lead me to concur - the bar for "un-issuable" is pretty high and it would take a lot of wear before a pistol met that point.

Cool for display use, but at that price point - my nostalgia isn't that strong - I'd rather just have a new-production [pick your brand] that functions. Just one man's opinion.

Vending Machine Operator
    Quote Originally Posted by JonInWA View Post
    The CMP guns, by definition will be 1945 or earlier production; the military was so awash with 1911s after WWII no further production/acquisition was ever deemed necessary, and armorers/echelon repair continued to maintain/repair/refurbish/rebuild as necessary out of existing stocks.

Best, Jon
    Wow, today-I-learned, thank you. Still, though, they're WW2 built with 40 more years of issue on them. That's a lot of city miles.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LockedBreech View Post
    Wow, today-I-learned, thank you. Still, though, they're WW2 built with 40 more years of issue on them. That's a lot of city miles.
    I knew all of that, and still want one. Sigh.

User Tag List