Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: CMP announces 1911 prices

have a 1914 vintage one, still works. i'm good.

I was involved in the tail end of the 1911s military service life while in servitude to Uncle Sugar. Most of ours were on the ragged edge of worn out and these were Navy pistols that weren't subject to harsh work like Army or USMC pistols. We had perhaps half a dozen that were good to go and I always made sure I got one of those when I drew one out. Knowing what they were like then and knowing that these will all be mixmasters with unknown provenance, you'd have to drop the price by half to get me interested in one.

Get one for customization? Sure, take an old mixmaster slabsides, with a spot hardened slide and a frame that may very well date to 1918 and spend money customizing it. That's money well spent. The CMP is really banking on nostalgia with these and of course, it will undoubtedly be successful. Good for them, they're not forcing anyone to buy them. These will really appeal to the pot bellied crowd who never spent a day in service, but have seen Band of Brothers a bazillion times. Of course, they'll all buy a dozen of them each, so on the up side this will give the CMP some needed financing.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

With prices like that for those, if mine wasn't sentimentally attached to me I might be tempted to part with it.

TXPO
    Last edited by Texaspoff; 05-15-2018 at 05:36 PM.
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    These will really appeal to the pot bellied crowd who never spent a day in service, but have seen Band of Brothers a bazillion times. Of course, they'll all buy a dozen of them each, so on the up side this will give the CMP some needed financing.
    Bingo.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    Good friend who is an employee of CMP told me there are currently 100,000 in the warehouse at Anniston Army Depot in the process of being transferred down the street to the CMP warehouse, with the likely number of 300,0000 total that may be made available to the program over time.

Just like the M1 Garrands, I think they (CMP) are viewing this pile of free stuff they get to sell as a long term endowment, and lots of 8K to 10K will be processed and sold over time. The whole stockpile will be metered out over many years. And right now they don't know what is in a given crate they receive from DoD until they open them and process/grade them. No telling exactly how much of what is really coming down the pipe over the next decade.

I also think they have some awareness of it being a supply and demand situation that dictates the price and going into the first year, they are just guessing. I think the CMP learned from the Garrand sales that it is easier to start high and drop the price than take a gazillion orders and realize you priced them lower than you needed to.

These are (shootable or not) collector guns, and someone genuinely looking for a shooter is always going to find much more value in the commercial market.
    If there are ~300,000 guns that could be sold through CMP, then CMP is going to be selling 1911s for ~30 years...Not that I object to this, I'm just thinking about the logistics of the situation.

If that's the case, then I'll hold off on getting in on the first batch. They are being limited to 8-10,000 guns a year and have 100,000 guns to go through out of the gate, then waiting a couple-few years will likely result in lower, not higher prices.

I'm reminded of the time I saved up my money as a kid to buy a Star Wars AT-AT walker toy. The anticipation was much greater than what I actually got for my money.

After the initial rush, I don't think people will be paying this much money for a bunch of clapped out 1911s, and we'll start seeing demand demise. I really don't think demand for these is 300,000 units deep at $850 to $1050 a unit. I wonder if the price people are wiling to pay drops below X dollars, CMP will just quit selling them, rather than say letting the price drop to $500.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    CMP is going to be selling 1911s for ~30 years...
    I suspect they will pick up the pace at some point, but the greatest risk is some future admin or congress orders a stop, and they order the remaining units to crusher where all those M16A1's have already gone by the tens of thousands...

Site Supporter
    If they lowered the prices, they'd make less money. If they stopped selling them, they'd make no money and still have to pay overhead to store them. I don't see the latter happening.

Vending Machine Operator
    My 2016-production Series 80 O1091 was about $800. I have little doubt it's a superior pistol. I have to pass on this one, I'm afraid. A beat-to-hell pistol from 1983 doesn't have the same luster to me as a WW2-issue gun.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

I could not wait to hurl my 1911 at the surly LCpl in the armory when we got the M9's. Every one of them I saw issued was a pile of dung. Every. Stinking. One.

Piece of shite then, piece of shite now.

I've got an immaculate 1955 Colt Government Model that belonged to my dad. Apparently he fired a magazine through it, reloaded, and put it in a shoe box in the bedroom closet. Fifty years later, I found it cleaning out my mom's house. Original mag and ammo, natch.

That gun, and the USMC M45 that Colt resold to me via Gunbroker are all the 1911's I need.

I would have loved to have received my grandfather's 1911. But that went to an uncle, who's crackhead son swapped it for drugs.

I still owe him a beatdown for that. But I'm a patient man.

User Tag List