Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CMP announces 1911 prices

CMP announces 1911 prices

Hmmm. I might prefer to buy a new Llama.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-1911-prices/

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction.

Rack Grade, $850 but it might not fire. Nice.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    Hmmm. I might prefer to buy a new Llama.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...s-1911-prices/

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction.

Nothing like the prices I paid a few years ago on the M1 Carbine Mil releases.

I believe they can keep those and I will keep my 43' production Remington Rand 1911.

TXPO
    ColdBoreCustom.com
    Certified Glock Armorer
    Certified P320 Armorer
    Certified M&P LE Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Texaspoff View Post
    I believe they can keep those and I will keep my 43' production Remington Rand 1911.

TXPO
    My issued pistol as an MP at Ft. Polk in 74-75 was one of those!

"See? We're never doing this again. They just don't sell."

That is government (or other dicked up institutional) thinking for you.

"If we put fair prices on these things, they'll sell and then we'll have work to do. F that!"
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

These pistols are unicorns in the 1911 world. They're all steel, made by American workers in American factories, with forged slides and frames, no cast or MIM parts, and most of all, NO deviations from the specs laid down in the sainted words of John Moses Browning himself. They're just what 1911 purists all say that they want, with historical value as icing on the cake.

It might be fun to get one and customize it to match the guns shown in The Modern Technique of the Pistol (https://www.amazon.com/Modern-Techni.../dp/0962134236). Those are the pistols that Jeff Cooper imagined we'd all be using if we had just followed him to the way, the truth, and the light.

It might also be fun to run one through the 2k Round Challenge and post the results on the various 1911 fanboi forums.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

As much as I'd love to own "a piece of history" like this, I couldn't see investing that kind of money. If you're a collector and need one to complete your WWII collection - more power to you. But for a guy like me always looking for a "shooter" - that's too much $$ for a pig in a poke that might require a LOT of work...

Lesser than modern steel as I understand.

I like the idea. I could see my way around $850 for the Service Grade ready to shoot, but for a Rack Grade that isn't "usable"?

I paid $600 about 25 years ago for an Ithaca that ran really well but not very precisely or anywhere near POA. It was cool but the novelty wore off after awhile.
    Last edited by JHC; 05-15-2018 at 09:10 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I'll be honest, I just don't get it....

For not much above the $1050 price-point ($400-500), I can be in a WWII vintage piece on the market today, with more provenance, matching serial #s , and haven't been decimated at the hands of an unknown nummber of smiths and armorers. The deals are out there, one just has to be patient.

I totally get the sentimental value, the "old workhorse" story, etc. I value that as much as anyone...but I don't believe these are really at the "market value" and are actually above it....especially considering we (the public) paid for these several times over in initial purchase, parts replacement, and service/storage throughout the life of the pistol. Perhaps at a max of $750-800 in Service Grade I would be in...but these things will perhaps spike at first...and then bottom out the market. The market is soft as-is...and flooding it with something otherwise not terribly hard to find anyways...well the economics of that only work one way....

I'll ride this one out.

I could see my way around $850 for the Service Grade ready to shoot, but for a Rack Grade that isn't "usable"?

I dont know what the official criteria for being able to be "issued" for use, but I'm thinking that "un-issuable" isnt necessarily the same as wont fire or not usable.

Does anyone know that the difference is? Something like a cracked or missing grip or grip screw may be enough to keep a pistol from being able to be issued for use. Many that got M1 Garands in the past felt that they were graded pretty conservatively. No idea of course how they are grading these in comparison.

I'm pretty sure the bore condition of the M1 I got in the Blue Sky import period wasnt up to spec to be issued, but has been entirely functional and shoots pretty well for the bore condition after getting it bedded.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-15-2018 at 09:33 AM.

User Tag List