Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WAT?!?!?!?!? Army goes with Tango 6 for SDMR?

Quote Originally Posted by VT1032 View Post
    I really would like to see Sig succeed and get their reputation back where it used to be but I'm not holding my breath. They seem to be one of the few large gun companies that are really innovating and trying new things (recently) instead of rehashing their same old shit. They seem to have a lot of cool designs on everything from optics to carbines to pistols, but I just don't trust them to work.

On paper, guns like the P320 and P365 really do bring a lot of new ideas to the table, but they just don't seem to have the quality control or in particular, the integrity, to make them right. I can accept a bolo or two if the company immediately went full stop and fixed it accross the board but to leave potentially lethal defects floating out there is unconscionable in my opinion. My unit is supposed to get issued our M17's in October and I find myself really wishing they said glock on the side instead of sig.
    I love SIG, but if it isn't a P226 I don't want it for a service weapon. I'm not looking forward to the M17's or the M18's. I'm sure I'll be carrying the C model when I get back to CID but all the post standing and calls I've been on, I've come down on the handle of my M9 a lot. I'm not sure the Sig will fair well in those conditions. I'm also not horribly sure the basic vehicle wear/harbor patrol wear will not damage the grips. I would prefer a Glock 17/19 combo over the New Sig's, but we have to take what they give us I guess. We haven't even started to get them yet though. They'll probably start rolling out for the Navy when I'm on my last duty station.

A 1-6 is OK on the 417 (I use a Elcan 1.5-6x on my MR762), but the rifle is more than capable of using as much glass as you are willing to carry.
    I don't have my dope chart handy but it will easily hold 1-2moa with quality ammo out until it drops sub-sonic (around 800-850 yards with 155gr. Hornady).
    If I was going to use it in the DMR role I'd top it with something that maxes out at 8x or even 10x or more depending on terrain.
    I have a 3-15x I put on mine when I really want to reach out there. A USPSA full sized steel silhouette at 1000Y all comes down to making the right wind call due to the .308's flight time, the rifle itself will do it all day long.
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-16-2018 at 06:44 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    A 1-6 is OK on the 417 (I use a Elcan 1.5-6x on my MR762), but the rifle is more than capable of using as much glass as you are willing to carry.
    I don't have my dope chart handy but it will easily hold 1-2moa with quality ammo out until it drops sub-sonic (around 800-850 yards with 155gr. Hornady).
    If I was going to use it in the DMR role I'd top it with something that maxes out at 8x or even 10x or more depending on terrain.
    I have a 3-15x I put on mine when I really want to reach out there. A USPSA full sized steel silhouette at 1000Y all comes down to making the right wind call due to the .308's flight time, the rifle itself will do it all day long.
    I'm about to get a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x or a NF 4-16x42 for mine after I finish a few other projects. I'm getting a second actually. I was going to get a SCAR17, but when I was honest with myself with what I was going to ask of the rifle, shredding squad sized elements of bad guys was not in the cards. So I think what I might do is a heavy bi-pod setup with the 3-15 or 4-16, then probably a "light" setup with a trijicon 1-8 if I want a lighter .308 setup to put in the truck.

But that not withstanding, I'm not sure I'd like a 1-6, and I'd be really picky about that 1-6. Sig would be at the absolute bottom of that list. How do you like your Elcan?

The Elcan has an awesome field of view which makes fast up close followups with the .308 much easier. The reticle and illumination works really well for the MR762 and my preferred ammo.
    The glass quality is on par with anything put out by Kahles or Schmidt&Bender in my opinion.
    I like the instant throw from 1.5x to 6x, I rarely if ever used any intermediate magnification on 6x optics under field use so the "all or nothing" throw lever is perfect for me.
    It's also a beast that is damn near indestructible.
    Last edited by JodyH; 05-16-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Ilya Koshkin has a recent, rambling article on the LPV option. He makes a great point about LPV low light performance given the traditionally small objective lens on a LPV. Ilya also talks about his cobbled fixed 10x/red dot combo.

That jogged my mind - the Brits are using a 6x48 ACOG w/RMR on their L129A1. I'd love to know how the RMR has fared but the ACOG should be a good low light optic. Wiki article shows New Zealand's 7.62 LMT equipped with a Leupy 4.5-14.

The NF 4-16x42 F1 is a nice option but it's weight is up there. There are some 50/56mm at a few ounces more - or even ounces lighter - in the same price range.

Not a fan of the T5Xi series in the 3-15, 5-25, the view and feel is basically Burris XTR. I liked the Bushnell DMR II-i, NF 4-14 F1 more. Would like to see the upcoming DMR Pro in an illuminated model tho.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    It’s most likely made by the same people who manufacture for Vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If this scope is manufactured in Japan than it is most likely Light Optical Works (LOW) but that does not automatically make those two scopes similar in quality or prescription of optics. I have not tried this particular optic off of memory so I can't say for certain it's quality, I can say that the Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6 is run hard in LEO, MIL and 3 Gun applications and have been for years.
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    I'm about to get a Steiner T5Xi 3-15x or a NF 4-16x42 for mine after I finish a few other projects. I'm getting a second actually. I was going to get a SCAR17, but when I was honest with myself with what I was going to ask of the rifle, shredding squad sized elements of bad guys was not in the cards. So I think what I might do is a heavy bi-pod setup with the 3-15 or 4-16, then probably a "light" setup with a trijicon 1-8 if I want a lighter .308 setup to put in the truck.

But that not withstanding, I'm not sure I'd like a 1-6, and I'd be really picky about that 1-6. Sig would be at the absolute bottom of that list. How do you like your Elcan?
    Skip the Steiner, go with the ATACR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately like everything else for our mil it doesn't have to be the best option, it just has to meet the standards and be the lowest cost. I'm guessing that's where this scope falls in as well. I was very underwhelmed when I looked through a Tango 6 last week compared to my P4xi even.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    Unfortunately like everything else for our mil it doesn't have to be the best option, it just has to meet the standards and be the lowest cost. I'm guessing that's where this scope falls in as well. I was very underwhelmed when I looked through a Tango 6 last week compared to my P4xi even.
    Honestly, I'm building a rifle around the P4Xi. It's a great little optic for what it is. Even with the 1-4x I don't feel outgunned with it for the 16" BCM it's going to ride on. You can easily outclass it when you start paying more, but in that price point especially on sale, it's hard to beat.

Double tap.
    Last edited by navyman8903; 05-17-2018 at 01:13 PM.

User Tag List