Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Drill To Test New Handgun?

What Drill To Test New Handgun?

I recently acquired a CZ P10C. Added the MBI trigger and a fiber optic front sight.
    Checked the sight alignment at 25 yards. I need a very slight 6PM hold, but not enough to matter when shooting fast and close.

I have been shooting the Sig P320 Compact for a few months now. It has tritium white sights, and is verified accurate at 25 yards.

I wanted to figure out which gun is better for me so I ran this drill:
    - IDPA target at 7 yards, 5 rounds as fast as I can get sights on target, Repeated 6 times.

For the CZ P10 I pulled about 7 shots outside the down zero, average time was 2.1s.
    For the Sig 320 C I was only 3 shots outside the down zero, average time was 1.85s.

Also, it was harder to drive the sights on the CZ to take the shot. And, thus I had longer splits with the CZ.

Is there another drill I should try to better assess my performance with these two guns?

Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

What are your normal range trip drills? What is your cold drill?
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

FAST and Dot Torture immediately come to mind, also maybe something like Nuevo El Pres (USPSA classifier CM 99-22) as another thing to push you on accuracy and speed?

Hammertime
    I don’t think such a drill exists that can give us the answer as to which gun is best for us. I wish it did.

Generally we are going to shoot the gun we have most recently spent the most time with best.

Fact is most modern handgun designs are refined enough that the differences for any one experienced shooter between designs should be less than low single digit percentages.

Quote Originally Posted by Enel View Post
    Fact is most modern handgun designs are refined enough that the differences for any one experienced shooter between designs should be less than low single digit percentages.
    Barring weird user interface differences/preferences, guns sized "wrong" for your hands/controls you can't easily reach, etc., this makes sense.

My favorite drill to actually test my skill combined with a certain platform is Ben Stoegers dot drill. Granted, I will shoot the pistol for at least 1000 rounds with various drills to become accustomed to it.

7yds, 6-2” dot’s. Draw and fire 6 shots at the 2” dot in 5.3sec

I also like Lucky Gunners handgun test:
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.luc...dgun-test/amp/

For me, I shoot a Glock the best in the dot drill followed by a 1911. Even after leaving the Glock platform for a year, I came back and outperformed the gun I had been carrying and shooting (Brig Tac) with a G19.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to use the old 90 round IDPA Classifier. That tests a lot of different skills.

Neither of the p10s I had worked past 1200 rounds.

Sincerely I hope they have fixed the issues. I loved the way the gun handled for me.

Check out this month’s issue of the Rangemaster Newsletter (May ‘18). It has a number of great drills for self-assessment as the main feature.

civiliandefender.com

For a new pistol I'm getting acquainted with, I like Seeklander's press out drill @ 7 yards with a 5.5" chest and 4" head and the Super Test. FWIW. Hoping to do so tomorrow with my new M2.0 Compact.

JW

User Tag List