Thread: clone TSC UCR IWB holster? (original by Dave Vaughn, Threat Solutions)

clone TSC UCR IWB holster? (original by Dave Vaughn, Threat Solutions)

My favorite holster is the TSC UCR (Ultra Concealment Rig), a one-piece kydex IWB holster designed for behind the hip carry (4 or 5 o'clock), made by Dave Vaughn of Threat Solutions Consulting. I think I got mine sometime around 2005. I want more, but Vaughn seems to have completely disappeared sometime in 2011 or 2012, and his website (www.threatsolutions.com) has been gone for years. You can still see some description and pictures of his UCR holster design here, at the Wayback Machine:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080622.../IWBindex.html

So my question for you folks here, is do you know of anyone who makes a clone of that holster design? Or what is the next closest holster you've seen to it?

After much searching on the web, I've certainly found some IWB holsters with similarly placed offset loops. However, although many of these holsters are well made, so far the ones I've tried are all inferior in design in some way. Very common is that the side of the holster facing the body has LOTS of bumps and protrusions, making it uncomfortable to wear. The UCR on the other hand is nearly smooth on that side, and very comfortable, yet still retains the pistol well, with the usual kydex click. Some IWB holsters I've tried impede grasping the pistol, while the UCR did not, etc.

What gun?

The loops are a no-go but I've had success with some alternative ideas that do the same and are a little thinner.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    What gun?
    Right now, a Sig P938, and a P320 9mm with manual safety.

The P320 will later get a Trijicon RMR installed on the slide, so I'd prefer a holster that accommodates that. Hm, looking at the cant angle on the TSC UCR (and somewhat similar leather holsters like the Mith Rosen ARG or Milt Sparks Criterion), I wonder if they can be made to work with an RMR. The P938 might eventually get a Shield RMS-C red dot installed a year or so from now, depending on how my red dot experience with the P320 and RMR goes.

I've got three TS holsters, and I would agree that they are phenomenal. But Dave took money for three more and disappeared. I've also shipped my holster to a few other kydex makers and they've failed to replicate it. I no longer need 3:30 holsters, but I could hide a g17/x300 pretty easy using the UCR

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've also shipped my holster to a few other kydex makers and they've failed to replicate it.
    Interesting. Did these other holster makers say why they couldn't (or wouldn't) clone the UCR? I know nothing about making stuff from kydex, but the TSC UCR's construction LOOKS straightforward to me. (In fact it almost looks like an exercise in just how few parts you can get away with.) Is there some trick to getting it right?

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I've got three TS holsters, and I would agree that they are phenomenal. But Dave took money for three more and disappeared. I've also shipped my holster to a few other kydex makers and they've failed to replicate it. I no longer need 3:30 holsters, but I could hide a g17/x300 pretty easy using the UCR
    #HolsterMakersDisease
    #RESIST

User Tag List