Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bubba Done Been Here

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    Your Krag still has a lot cool, Stephanie. How does it shoot?
    Be ok for hooved rats and Spaniards. Hits about 6” high at 50 yards.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by K.Hungus View Post
    How difficult is it to source modern ammo for one of these?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It’s kind of seasonal, but it’s still made. And not cheap, about $30+ a box of 20 hunting riunds.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Malamute, to avoid having to edit your post: The barrel is 19”.

Damn the iPhone Typos!

I've seen hunting loads from hornady on the shelves locally at ~30/box. Most of the usual suspects online have one or two loads in stock as well.

A simple way to get it zeroed and looking a little nicer would be to use a dovetail filler with screw hole to attach a small front ramp like a Williams Shorty. Another simple thing would be to use a 1903 front sight band over the dovetail. Theres still bucket loads of them around.

Yeah, I'll bet its a bit loud with a 19" barrel. Do you have anyone local that does affordable barrel work? I may have a barrel that could work if set back and turned to correct diameter for a Krag.

30-40 is probably at its best as a handloaded round. It uses any common 30 cal bullet. Once some cases and dies are in hand, you can do about anything with it from the factory hunting level loads to cast plinkers or round ball loads for basement or back yard plinking. Brass would likely last a long time with mild loads or cast loads.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-11-2018 at 09:47 PM.

I wouldn't be in a rush to dump kilobucks into a $160 rifle, so I'd just have that awful front sight replaced and buy .30-40 dies. IIRC Krags either had a couple of bore sizes over the years, or the bore size runs larger than .308.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    A simple way to get it zeroed and looking a little nicer would be to use a dovetail filler with screw hole to attach a small front ramp like a Williams Shorty. Another simple thing would be to use a 1903 front sight band over the dovetail. Theres still bucket loads of them around.

Yeah, I'll bet its a bit loud with a 19" barrel. Do you have anyone local that does affordable barrel work? I may have a barrel that could work if set back and turned to correct diameter for a Krag.

30-40 is probably at its best as a handloaded round. It uses any common 30 cal bullet. Once some cases and dies are in hand, you can do about anything with it from the factory hunting level loads to cast plinkers or round ball loads for basement or back yard plinking. Brass would likely last a long time with mild loads or cast loads.
    I don't, not now. My `smith is moving his shop, he'll be closed for awhile. Doing something about the rifle is down on my priority list. I'd like to put in a little longer barrel, though. It looks, off, in some way.

User Tag List