Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DHS transitioning to 6.5 Creedmoor

Site Supporter

DHS transitioning to 6.5 Creedmoor

https://www.armytimes.com/off-duty/g...g-range-round/

Homeland Security shooters are dumping .308 for this long-range round

INDIANAPOLIS ― The Department of Homeland Security plans to get rid of all its 7.62mm NATO, or .308 caliber, long-range rifle ammunition and replace it with an intermediate caliber that Special Operations snipers will field next year — the 6.5mm Creedmoor.

Speaking Monday during a panel at the National Defense Industrial Association Armament Systems Forum here, Devin Patterson, a DHS engineer, told the audience that the switch would give their “tactical observers,” civilian speak for snipers, a more accurate round for their sensitive security missions.

And because the dimensions of the cartridge are not drastically different, the change mostly involves just a barrel change.

“It’s an easy swap,” Patterson said.
    Not the best article but an interesting development.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-11-2018 at 09:40 AM.

Wonder what fed/mil orders will do to ammo and component availability.

On the flip side it should have a positive effect on .264 bullet development.

Surplus 308 stuff gonna be available fir civilian purchase??? I could handle being hampered by a good precision 308 rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    Surplus 308 stuff gonna be available fir civilian purchase??? I could handle being hampered by a good precision 308 rifle.

Nope. Fed LE is prohibited from selling old guns. They're required by law to be destroyed.

If your talking surua ammo supply, they'll shoot it up before getting rid of the rifles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

.308 vs. 6.5 CM

The Creedmoor is a fine cartridge round. It , when loaded with a 120 gr. bullet . it out performs the .308 (with a 150 gr. pill) by a measurable margine.

When and how often did the .308 fail , at the hands of well trained and justifiably skilled marksmen ?
    6.5 CM. the new toy, with it's new Fanboys. Seems like the story goes on and on.

Here it is again, Ladies & Gentlemen; bureaucracy restocking it's stores at our expense.
    Custer wore the 1st "Arrow shirt".
    Given the size & power of “Ivan”, we must now … and ever be Vigilant.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post

No. On the DHS side I'm sure it will either get shot up or transferred to another agency still using .308.

The. Mil will still have 308 for years to come.

The user group for match /precision .308 is pretty small in both DHS agencies and .mil.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-11-2018 at 12:47 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
    The Creedmoor is a fine cartridge round. It , when loaded with a 120 gr. bullet . it out performs the .308 (with a 150 gr. pill) by a measurable margine.

When and how often did the .308 fail , at the hands of well trained and justifiably skilled marksmen ?
    6.5 CM. the new toy, with it's new Fanboys. Seems like the story goes on and on.

Here it is again, Ladies & Gentlemen; bureaucracy restocking it's stores at our expense.
    So when did manual transmission vehicles fail ? Can't waste money on them new fangled automatic transmissions.

Technology advances, and equipment which is actually used wears out and has to be replaced periodically.

Have you ever worn out a handgun or rifle and had to have it rebuilt or re-barreled? I have and it is a regular occurance in the groups which will be using these rifles. Just like the military they train regularly and run gear hard. This, combined with operational wear and tear means precision guns get rebarreled and rebuilt every few years with or without a caliber change. Swapping a 308 barrel for a 6.5 CM barrel on existing guns is a simple and cost effective fix.

Speaking of cost, the DOD and SOCOM are going to 6.5 CM with or without DHS. Given DHS already tries to buy common items off existing DOD contracts as a cost saving measure (testing, selection and contracting all cost money) staying with what the DOD is purchasing in bulk is actually a cost saving measure in the long run.

On another note, this switch is for precision / long range rifles which are normally running 168 or 175 grain ammunition in .308, not 150 grain.
    Last edited by HCM; 05-11-2018 at 01:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski85 View Post
    Nope. Fed LE is prohibited from selling old guns. They're required by law to be destroyed.

If your talking surua ammo supply, they'll shoot it up before getting rid of the rifles.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    No. On the DHS side I'm sure it will either get shot up or transferred to another agency still using .308.

The. Mil will still have 308 for years to come.

The user group for match /precision .308 is pretty small in both DHS agencies and .mil.
    Way to go and kill my Friday afternoon. Thanks!!

I like less drift and less drop with less recoil. I want the shooting world to move onto 6.5. Change doesn’t bother me.
    #RESIST

6.5 Creedmore is better than just a bit. The 140 grain pills have a BC in the .650 range while the 175 grain 308 pills are stuck in the .50 range. There is a lot to be gained with that kind of efficiency increase.

Best part is that the 2 actions are interchangeable. All you need is a new barrel and ammo. DHS will actually save $$ by going with what DOD is doing. They can consume DOD left overs till their barrels are shot out and then purchase in bulk with DOD orders. Staying with 308 means they end up being a low volume island.

There is a lot of government wasted going around, but I’m not sure this ranks as such.

User Tag List