Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Steel Toe Shoes

I bought a pair of the Irish Setter Farmingtons primarily for lots of standing on cement floors . I started by looking at Red Wings and thought they were too expensive. My Irish Setter boots are still nice even if they cost less since they are still all leather boots.

I also have a pair of the Danner Quarrys that were mentioned earlier but only because I found them on an old stock clearance deal. I think they are overkill for what Rich is looking for but he would get lots of envy points wherever he would go.
    Last edited by DamonL; 05-11-2018 at 04:00 PM.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    FWIW, irish Setter is owned by Red Wing, and is their "value" line. They seem OK though, based on the few models I've handled in the shoe store.
    I don’t know about “value”, mine weren’t cheap. I think it’s just a different leather. Very high quality though. I’m a chintzy bastard on all other clothes but I have no problem buying Red Wing or Carhartt. Course that’s also what I wear 90% of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Much appreciate the input.

I’m an office type guy as I said, so I’m not really used to boots.

There’s a Red Wing store near me in Tampa, so I’ll start there. Hopefully they have something that will do.

Redwings are the best, but you have to put a bunch of miles on them before they break in and start feeling really good.

For the occasional user, it may not ever happen at all. I wear them and always have, but may not be the best option for your needs.

All aesthetic considerations aside, Doc Martin steel toes are stupid comfortable right out of the box. And they lasted for a very long time, walking on offshore platform steel grating 14 days at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich_Jenkins View Post
    Thanks guys. Much appreciate the input.

I’m an office type guy as I said, so I’m not really used to boots.

There’s a Red Wing store near me in Tampa, so I’ll start there. Hopefully they have something that will do.
    Red Wing has a great reputation, but they tend to be expensive (especially the ones made in the USA), and their leather models do take a long time to break in according to my buddies who wear them. I've tried on different models, but their lasts don't seem to match my feet. Your feet will vary, of course. Good luck.

If you go with leather either Obenauf's or Sno-seal will seal and waterproof wherever you apply it. Make sure you get it into the last stitching. FYI, these are beeswax or beeswax/petroleum products and they darken the leather.

Heating the boots sans laces in the oven is the best way to apply but a hairdryer on lowest setting can be used to help melt it in.

Buy spare quality laces before you need them. Look for Taslan laces. I seal the ends by burning with a lighter or soaking with superglue.

*I also superglue button threads on shirts and buttons - especially suit button thread. Keeps thread from unraveling.

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    Get composite toe. Better comfort and better in the event it actually has to do its job.

Composite will rebound, steel will stay deformed into your foot.

Not only that, but in winter they stay warm, steel toes in winter will suck the heat right out of your boots..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    Not only that, but in winter they stay warm, steel toes in winter will suck the heat right out of your boots..
    When I was in the Chair Farce anyone that worked on the flight line was issued composite toe boots. The wind chill would cause frostbite when using steel toes.
    Men freely believe that which they desire.
    Julius Caesar

RFI: Steel Toe Shoes

Do these composite toe boots meet the same standards as ‘steel toe’?

I guess I’m asking, if there is a common ANSI standard driving the design I can look for? I’ll go have a look myself but thought maybe you guys would know.

ETA Found it. Z41.1.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steel-toe_boot
    Last edited by RJ; 05-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.

I work in Environmental, Health and Safety in an aerospace facility and see a lot of different shoes and boots. Many employees are happy with their Keens and Timberland Pros. They are comfortable, light weight and hold up in our environment which is fairly clean and dry. Some oil in test areas and manufacturing.

Any good safety toe shoe/boot will have the rating on the label on the inside of the tongue. Safety toes are available in steel, composite or aluminum. Most employees I speak with wear the same pair of shoes all day 5-6 days/week. I recommend having at least two pairs to alternate days. This allows the shoes to dry out. If you only need them occasionally to go on the floor, it is not so important.

Rockport makes a line of safety toe shoes. I have to dress business casual and have a pair of their wing tips (black). They are comfortable and have held up well. They make a number of styles in brown with laces.

Timberland Pro makes the Boldon in brown. I recently started wearing a pair (black) and have found them to be comfortable and slip resistant.

If you search Amazon, you can narrow to composite and steel toe and waterproof if that is a requirement.

I wore my Keens yesterday for 10 hrs. helping my son and his family move from a second floor apartment. Up and down stairs all day. My feet felt great at the end of the day.
    Last edited by Brent Sea; 05-12-2018 at 10:20 AM.

User Tag List