Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Powder charge variation and the Brazil Nut Effect

Powder charge variation and the Brazil Nut Effect

I have been using Nobel Sport Prima V for minor power factor 9mm loads, and noticed some significant variation in charge weight (up to 1 grain in a 3.5 gr charge). At first, I thought it was just that the powder didn't meter well in the Dillon powder measure. But that wasn't the case. Charges were very consistent for 100's of rounds, but fluctuated up and down steadily.

Inspection of the powder hopper revealed stratification of grain sizes, with the largest grains on top. This is a recently discovered phenomenon in the physics of granular media called the Brazil Nut Effect. Counterintuitively, the largest, heaviest particles end up on top. This is why rocks keep sprouting in plowed fields. Of course, powders with a very uniform grain size (e.g. Titegroup) wouldn't have this problem.

My solution is to mix the powder with a chopstick when it's half used, and then again when I fill it. I also mix the powder in the jug before pouring. My charge weights have been spot on so far.

Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-10-2018 at 01:53 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Wow! That is pretty interesting. I use WSF or Vit N320 and have never seen this issue but it is a good thing to watch for.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Here’s a better picture:

Site Supporter
    In 50 years of reading reloading materials, I'm seeing this occurrence for the first time. Good report!

Site Supporter
    It happens with loose tea leaves too. By the time I get to the bottom of a can of tea, the pieces are so small that it's essentially dust. I never considered the broader implications though. Good to know.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

I loaded a lot of PrimaV and had taken to shaking up each jug carefully, then manually throwing many priming charges.

Looks like US availability is probably done, moving to CSB-1M next. If s like the ETR-7 / (I think CSB-1) from Expansion Industries (who went bust) but with a smaller flake. ETR-7 was my fav powder to date, and prelim testing shows CSB-1M is as good or better.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

Very interesting and good information. Thank You!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

I was able to get quite a bit of Prima V, but availability has been intermittent. I like N320 as well, but it's expensive.

Prima V feels really soft in comparison to Titegroup, and is not nearly as hot or dirty. The dynamics of my PrimaV load in my Shadows feels pretty close to perfect for me (e.g. 1.54s Bill Drill). I'm getting great accuracy as well. So, I'm going to continue to use it until it's gone. Hopefully, more will arrive from France...
    @GuanoLoco, where do you buy CSB-1M?

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I was able to get quite a bit of Prima V, but availability has been intermittent. I like N320 as well, but it's expensive.

Prima V feels really soft in comparison to Titegroup, and is not nearly as hot or dirty. The dynamics of my PrimaV load in my Shadows feels pretty close to perfect for me (e.g. 1.54s Bill Drill). I'm getting great accuracy as well. So, I'm going to continue to use it until it's gone. Hopefully, more will arrive from France...
    @GuanoLoco, where do you buy CSB-1M?
    https://hi-techammo.com/products/csb...h-loading-data

Owner is sitting on about 1000 lbs he wants to move; price is right. I’ll probably do a max order / hazmat fee soon and split with local friends.

What I liked about CSB-1 / -1m vs. PrimaV - Cleaner, Meters much more consistently.
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 05-11-2018 at 02:42 PM.
    Are you now, or have you ever been a member of the Doodie Project?

How is the burn rate? Or perceived “softness”? N320 and Prima V feel softer to me than Titegroup.

User Tag List