Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: When to decock.

When we were issued Beretta 92 INOX 9mm pistols, hilarity would ensue on the firing line when the commands "Scan, Check Six, De-cock, and holster" were issued by the instructor.

I'd be securely in leather looking around at the others trying to figure out how to de-cock, using their off hands to look for the slide mounted safety, watching some mistakenly eject magazines with live rounds in them, pushing down on the slide stop/release on a closed action........

In those cop's defense, we never have really trained......more like familiarization courses done on the cheap because the budget was all that really mattered.

Whatever you decide, train a lot until it becomes autonomic.....then train some more.

Regards.
    Last edited by lwt16; 05-11-2018 at 07:42 AM.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    If you’re on the mall parking lot taking cover are you taking time to decock between movement ?

What say you? Running drills on your own range, let’s say movement drills , are you decocking before each move to cover etc?
    Decocking takes no time. No more than putting a safety on as an M-4, you do it as you come off target and not as some separate activity.

So, yes. When I carried the P22X series, I decocked whenever I would safe a long gun. When not on target or directly transitioning to a target. I did not move with a cocked gun unless I was also shooting while moving.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    I get what you’re saying, and that is pretty much how I’ve always thought about it. But in “real life,” suppose there are non combatants between the first and second target. Obviously, ideally, in that case I should not muzzle the non combatants while transitioning from one target to the other, and my finger should come off of the trigger, until I can put sights on the second target.

But if I am almost always practicing shooting at multiple targets, one after the other, without ever decocking in between them, am I creating an undesirable “training scar?”

Just wondering aloud...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I ll make this simple. Show me. Show me all the incidents where we shoot multiple unassesed targets like we do on the range. Two, three or four bad guys all nicely arrayed with no non shoots between them or around them. When someone comes up with the “hah, I got you” incident in the hundreds of thousands of firearm use of force incidents, we call that an anomaly. It is statistically a total non starter. Do you want to build sub conscious habits around freakish possible anomalies or around what happens a vast majority of the time?
    Much of what is out there is theory based. I built a highly successful shooting program around DA/SA guns that was reflective of exactly what we were seeing in reality and during shootings. This not only includes first hand investigation, but also as both a participant and witness to numerous shootings with these platforms. This also includes witnessing exactly what happens on the ground and from an aviation platform where I got about the best view you could ever have of how these events transpire and the entirety of the event.
    Repetitive consistent activity builds habits. What do you want those habits to be? I was well served after shooting a felon with a DA gun, having to control that subject and multiple others who now had access to the original guys firearm, in a crowded dark bar with multiple non shots all around me. I made the decision to decock fairly soon....but my pistol was already decocked because habit took over and I did it unconsciously as soon as the threat went down in a very fast situation. That is how it is supposed to work.
    Last edited by Dagga Boy; 05-11-2018 at 07:56 AM.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Interesting topic. Food for thought, assuming a factory DA/SA, if one did not decock after initial engagement, and assessing for additional threats, their trigger pull in SA mode is not much different that a tradition single action striker fired gun that is most common use today.
    If that were true -- and I might find some people who see a substantial difference in the shootability of a TDA in SA versus a SFA -- then it would be reasonable to carry TDAs in condition zero.

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    If that were true -- and I might find some people who see a substantial difference in the shootability of a TDA in SA versus a SFA -- then it would be reasonable to carry TDAs in condition zero.
    Jeff Cooper once said that if a person really needed to carry a Beretta (92SBF), it might make sense to carry it in condition zero.

If that were true...then it would be reasonable to carry TDAs in condition zero.
    Or unreasonable to carry a striker pistol with a light, pre-cocked mechanism sans safety.

I swear we've had this exact same discussion, with all its logical permutations, more than once in the past.

Probably a topic for another thread, but if you're comfortable carrying a traditional (read non safety) P320, why not a Beretta 92 "condition 0"? (I'm specifically using the P320 due to lack of trigger safety).

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky View Post
    Probably a topic for another thread, but if you're comfortable carrying a traditional (read non safety) P320, why not a Beretta 92 "condition 0"? (I'm specifically using the P320 due to lack of trigger safety).
    The Taad is right that this is well traveled ground.

Site Supporter
    My take away from the last version of this thread was "Off target = decock. Period. The end."

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

This really isn't hard, and the answers have been given over and over, ad nauseum, by folks who have BTDT in the real world.

TDA off target = decock. Moving - decock. Holstering - decock. Engaging multiple targets in close proximity - don't decock.

TDA in SA mode is equivalent to SAO; wherein any responsible firearms handler will put the pistol ON SAFE before moving, holstering, etc.

What's different between a SFA and a TDA in SA mode - trigger movement distance. Does that make the SFA "safer?" - not really, in my opinion; which is why SFA users have to RELIGIOUSLY train and self-enforce trigger index discipline when not on target. So, for me, when I'm moving or off target, I "feel steel" with my trigger finger. When I'm holstering, my trigger finger is in a high index on/near the slide.

But, this is the interwebz, so we need to re-argue these concepts in perpetuity...

User Tag List