Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: When to decock.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by nalesq View Post
    So even when transitioning directly from one target to a second target (without conducting movement or stopping en route to some kind of ready position), should one, in the context of pure use of force, train to decock in-between targets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I'm not DB...but saying that you have two targets implies that you've made the decision to engage both of them. It would make no sense to decock in that situation because you're pressing the trigger, with only the transition between them as a (short) break. If you engage A and B stops doing whatever he was doing to make you want to engage him, then decocking would make sense.

Great replies thus far.

I used a single action gun for 2 years before making my way to TDA - so completing an additional motion after firing (on safe/decock ) is very natural to me as is thumb on hammer for reholster

My OP was poorly worded now that I read it back.

Spending too much time decocking was what I was trying avoid. I was actually called out at a class once for having decocked while Striker guys were still scanning. Suppose that’s too far the other way

Generally speaking, if I'm returning to the ready position, I'm decocking the pistol.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Great replies thus far.

I used a single action gun for 2 years before making my way to TDA - so completing an additional motion after firing (on safe/decock ) is very natural to me as is thumb on hammer for reholster

Spending too much time decocking was what I was trying avoid. I was actually called out at a class once for having decocked while Striker guys were still scanning. Suppose that’s too far the other way
    What were they hoping to see while scanning with guns still out? I scan all the time when on the line, but mostly it is while others holster. First I make sure no one is muzzling me. Then I watch how fast people holster, where their finger is, and the position of their hammer, if they have one. I also watch to make sure people are not bending over and picking stuff up while guns are still out. If there is time, I then scan my hits and those on the targets near me.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    I'm not DB...but saying that you have two targets implies that you've made the decision to engage both of them. It would make no sense to decock in that situation because you're pressing the trigger, with only the transition between them as a (short) break. If you engage A and B stops doing whatever he was doing to make you want to engage him, then decocking would make sense.
    I get what you’re saying, and that is pretty much how I’ve always thought about it. But in “real life,” suppose there are non combatants between the first and second target. Obviously, ideally, in that case I should not muzzle the non combatants while transitioning from one target to the other, and my finger should come off of the trigger, until I can put sights on the second target.

But if I am almost always practicing shooting at multiple targets, one after the other, without ever decocking in between them, am I creating an undesirable “training scar?”

Just wondering aloud...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ooooooh, look what I found.

TLG included actively shooting a target and driving toward a target that you’ve make the conscious decision to shoot. (My paraphrase).
    Last edited by David S.; 05-10-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    Ooooooh, look what I found.

TLG included actively shooting a target and driving toward a target that you’ve make the conscious decision to shoot. (My paraphrase).
    Thanks for that. I skimmed back to 2016 in topics but didn’t find that

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Great replies thus far.

Wasn't there, but ... that sounds like exactly when you SHOULD have decocked. You're not engaging a target, so that hammer should be at rest. You're just as ready to shoot, but you're also ready to holster, or hold your gun ready but not do anything else with it decocked.

^^^ Agreed.

Properly programmed, decocking and safeing your gun shouldn’t require any brain space, so there’s no reason that it should take away from scanning. I have no experience with real world FoF, but I did run a TDA SIG for several years. It didn’t take a lot of effort to learn to decock on the way to ready position, which is where I’d expect the gun to be before starting whatever scan technique.
    David S.

Interesting topic. Food for thought, assuming a factory DA/SA, if one did not decock after initial engagement, and assessing for additional threats, their trigger pull in SA mode is not much different that a tradition single action striker fired gun that is most common use today.

User Tag List