Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: When to decock.

When to decock.

First I welcome all criticism on this topic.

Being newish to DA\SA Guns I’m inclined to decock more often - I’m working on my range - trying to assure I don’t shortcut the DA trigger pull.

Langdons take in the class last month was any time you’d put the safety on, decock.

I run a safety on/mag change with M4s and it’s no factor.

Force on force on has given me a rigid trigger finger disclipline. I’m not looking to short cut anything nor be unsafe.

If you’re on the mall parking lot taking cover are you taking time to decock between movement ?

What say you? Running drills on your own range, let’s say movement drills , are you decocking before each move to cover etc?
    Last edited by Duke; 05-10-2018 at 01:33 PM.

Bro,

I do not decock during reloads or movement, I do decock as soon as the gun comes back to a hard brake, wile either assessing or going to the holster.

On a parking lot in a fight I doubt I would but I wouldn't worry to much about it if I did. you have proven you know very well how to run the gun and I suspect you'll do that under any circumstance you find yourself in.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

During my brief experiment with DA/SA guns, I would decock every time the gun came off target EXCEPT when immediately transitioning to another target. Finished a string of fire and doing your post shoot process? Decock. Moving from one firing position to another? Decock. I was surprised how quickly I ingrained the decock action. It got to the point where after I went back to my Glock, I would still run my thumb over the spot the PX4's decocker would be whenever I came off target for a while. I'm not a big speed reload guy so all of my reloads are either slide lock reloads or some variation of retention reloads. For slidelock reloads, the decocker couldn't be activated. Fore tac/retention reloads, I would decock before reloading. Of course, YMMV and there are MANY more experienced DA/SA users on this forum than me and I defer to them.
    Last edited by WobblyPossum; 05-10-2018 at 01:41 PM.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Thanks for the input thus far

For clarity sake I’m not speaking of decock after a reload when you need to get back in action. I’m not afraid of a cocked gun.

Really leaning the way of moving/running etc without taking the time to decock

I worked as a spare set of eyes at a class local to me once. A gent there was quite hazardously sticking a cocked older S&w da gun back in his owb kydex. For me that was a total no go.....

When I told him to decock it he looked at me like I had told him his mom was ugly.

Site Supporter
    I run the decocker anytime the gun comes back to the ready. With enough practice, it’s an automatic action when coming off target. In other words, basically what Dan M said above.

For competition or sport shooting, do whatever you want. On the street, I have a long history with these both operationally and how to train. Every time that gun comes off target it should be decocked-period. It is simple. With real force scenarios every single situation will be it’s own problem with an entire phase of assessment and evaluation and an individual decision to shoot. Unlike the range, you don’t shoot multiple unassessed and evaluated targets. So, if you are seriously training for pure use of force, the correct means is to decock whenever not on target and actively pressing the trigger. It needs to be a sub conscious thing and the way to train it to that level. To get to sub conscious auto response it needs to be an everytime type of training program.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    For competition or sport shooting, do whatever you want. On the street, I have a long history with these both operationally and how to train. Every time that gun comes off target it should be decocked-period. It is simple. With real force scenarios every single situation will be it’s own problem with an entire phase of assessment and evaluation and an individual decision to shoot. Unlike the range, you don’t shoot multiple unassessed and evaluated targets. So, if you are seriously training for pure use of force, the correct means is to decock whenever not on target and actively pressing the trigger. It needs to be a sub conscious thing and the way to train it to that level. To get to sub conscious auto response it needs to be an everytime type of training program.
    Completely agree. I used, and instructed TDA for many years. Decocking every time you come off target and back to a ready position is how you train your subconscious to decock. Do this dry fire and live fire every time and decocking becomes not a thing.

It takes no more time to properly train to use a decocker than a SFA, PROVIDING you move the lever every time you come off target and back to ready. During dry fire, just move the lever for the repetition. It doesn’t need to drop the hammer for you to get the reps.
    Last edited by LSP552; 05-10-2018 at 02:45 PM.

Listen to what Darryl says. I would add to that, no matter how many times you thought you decocked, decock again before holstering, and use your thumb on the hammer as a further check you did decock, and to prevent mishap while putting the pistol into the holster.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    So even when transitioning directly from one target to a second target (without conducting movement or stopping en route to some kind of ready position), should one, in the context of pure use of force, train to decock in-between targets?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This thread has me playing with the idea that, for fighting purposes the gun gets decocked anytime my trigger finger comes off the trigger and into register.

That certainly includes movement and a pause in action. The only possible exception that comes to mind is an emergency reload.
    David S.

User Tag List