Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol RDS mortality rate in high round count classes/competition

So, back in '11 I set up a M&P with a RMR for duty use. Had the slide machined by L&M Precision. Got well over a thousand rounds into the process before I began having issues. Then I became a beta tester for Trij. Ended up with two different RMRs because one was always back at the factory for warranty work. I've taken a several year break from MRDS for duty use and am ready to re-visit the idea.

Holsters have not caught up. Mounting really has not caught up. Unity Tactical, hands down, has the best non-frame mounting solution but they will only produce it for Glocks - even though the prototypes are out there for at least one other manf. A frame secured solution exists but only one holster manf did anything for it & even that seems to have gone away. By this weekend I'll have set up another Unity Tactical slide with a MRDS and will put it through the paces. Please, please, please, give me a way to sucessfully do this with a M&P 9mm 2.0.

Holster and Mount Manfs ... please include the end user base in your decision making process.
    Last edited by Erick Gelhaus; 05-10-2018 at 06:18 AM.

I think GJM has it right in recommending the RMR as the most durable option out there. While I don't have anything approaching his round counts, I have a type 1 that did about 2,000 rounds on an HK45C before switching it over to a 986 revolver, where it has accumulated another 2,000 rounds without a problem. I've also used this optic to test 357 magnum loads and have had no problems with the dot holding zero or breaking. No complaints about battery life. I switch out the battery once a year just because. I have a new type 2 RMR on my HK P30L installed at L&M that I plan to shoot extensively in Steel Challenge. No issues after the first 1,000 rounds or so.

Durability aside, the RMR's size provides a comparatively small viewing window. I think it could be a little taller without giving up much in terms of concealability. Annoying and fixable though, are the optics themselves. The window has a greenish cast and the lens provides a distorted view. The new Leica red dot seems like it could be a big improvement in this area, but based on camera experiences, I wouldn't trust the Leica's electronics to be robust.

As funds permit, I plan on purchasing another two RMRs over the next year. Trijicon has excellent customer service and a durable product. Their product will only improve with time. I suspect that even as their RMRs evolve, they will maintain their current form factor, providing an upgrade path and protecting your financial investment in having your slide milled and BUIS installed.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    I'm not a high round count shooter, but I've not had any issues with my two Type 1 RMRs that weren't resolved with a fresh battery. I have approximately 5117 rounds on one RMR, and approximately 11489 through another. Both were mounted by Mark Housel of L&M Precision onto my P30LSes.
    By "high round count class" I was envisioning 1000-1500 rounds over a 1-3 day course. I figured this would be a good concentration point to gather data from. 11489 is a pretty substantial run with no problems.

Sending a pm about your setup so I don't jack my own thread.
    Last edited by cornstalker; 05-10-2018 at 08:51 AM.

Red dots for games, iron sights for carry. Same Same laser. If nothing else happens the battery will die at the wrong moment. You can get a prysm scope for a rifle, I don't know of one for a pistol.

Site Supporter
    The best warranty, bar none, is from Vortex. Most others limit the warranty as far as the electronics, for example 5 years.

Just returned from a 3 day pistol class at about 1600 rounds. This is the pistol I use for CO matches. I'll be shooting it this weekend in two matches.

I have yet to have a failure in this (Vortex Venom) or any other Vortex products. I'll report back when or if I have a failure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I would not carry a slide mounted optic on a pistol without good BUIS, and if possible, would like a laser, providing a separate aiming path in case the display obscures the BUIS.
    How about a report on your new Walther with the factory mounted Shield?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    Red dots for games, iron sights for carry. Same Same laser. If nothing else happens the battery will die at the wrong moment. You can get a prysm scope for a rifle, I don't know of one for a pistol.
    People said the same thing about RDS on carbines back in the 90s.

Technology advances. We may not be quite there yet but RDS on pistols is the future.

Keep in mind none of the current Mini RDS we are mounting on pistol slides were originally designed to go on pistol slides. The RMR was designed to replace the DR optic as a piggyback sight for ACOGs.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    While I've not had a class recently, I own several RMR's with 1000's of rounds each. I've had zero failures. Granted it's not hard use, but it's range use and I carry them all at times. I couldn't say if other brands are better, worse, or the same but I'll continue to buy Trijicon.

I have yet to have a customer report flickering dot in the hundreds of RMR's the company I work for has sold mounted to a pistol slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    The best warranty, bar none, is from Vortex. Most others limit the warranty as far as the electronics, for example 5 years.
    Wait what? I thought Trijicon and Aimpoint were lifetime repair.

User Tag List