Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pistol RDS mortality rate in high round count classes/competition

Pistol RDS mortality rate in high round count classes/competition

I have read as many of GJM's posts as I could find about his RDS experiences, as well as the ensuing conversations. At one point I wanted to dive into RDS, but now I am not so sure. They sound terribly unreliable across the board.

I had a conversation with @Enel, and the subject of multiple failures in a recent high round count class came up. I wonder if these things are dropping like flies all across the country when they are run hard.

What are you guys seeing in the pistol class and competition environments?

I'm not a high round count shooter, but I've not had any issues with my two Type 1 RMRs that weren't resolved with a fresh battery. I have approximately 5117 rounds on one RMR, and approximately 11489 through another. Both were mounted by Mark Housel of L&M Precision onto my P30LSes.

I think red dots on pistols are the future of handgun shooting.

Unfortunately, slide mounting is tough on optics, especially if you shoot a lot with them. Since shooting a dot on a pistol involves a learning curve, I think it makes sense to wade in developing those skills, even though the optics are still maturing.

If you are set on carrying a red dot now on your EDC pistol, I would go RMR type 2. If you are gaming or interested mostly in developing your skills, I would pick something with a good warranty and plan to have several in the mail to,the manufacturer for replacement.

Leupold called me today. They want to hang onto my four broken ones for more testing, and are sending me four brand new ones, which I said I would try to log rounds on, for their information.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Hammertime
    I am amazed the market has not matured past the slide mounted RMR as best practice because that has been best practice for what, at least seven or so years now?

I also believe red dots are the future. I just don’t trust any current slide mounted set up based on my limited experience and the anecdotal experience of others.

Much less experience than others hereabouts.

Brand new Type 1 RMR 07 on a G19 failed about 200 rounds into a Steel Challenge match. By "fail" I mean fading, flickering, and vanishing altogether. I finished the match using backup irons. Removed the dot as a soon as I got home.

Slide was machined by Battlwerx. The RMR was installed with Battlewerx anti-flicker plate. Brand new Energizer battery.

I'm looking forward to the next few generations or red dots, and (hopefully) better durability.

I would not carry a slide mounted optic on a pistol without good BUIS, and if possible, would like a laser, providing a separate aiming path in case the display obscures the BUIS.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Brand new Energizer battery.
    Probably three times now I've had brand new batteries have flickering/dying issues with my RMR, and another replacement battery clears it up. I've heard some folks say that CR2032s have relatively lax physical tolerances, which exacerbate the issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    Much less experience than others hereabouts.

Brand new Type 1 RMR 07 on a G19 failed about 200 rounds into a Steel Challenge match. By "fail" I mean fading, flickering, and vanishing altogether. I finished the match using backup irons. Removed the dot as a soon as I got home.

Slide was machined by Battlwerx. The RMR was installed with Battlewerx anti-flicker plate. Brand new Energizer battery.

I'm looking forward to the next few generations or red dots, and (hopefully) better durability.
    Duracell is considered the go to brand for RDS optics. Something to do with larger and more consistent dimensions.

Quote Originally Posted by Artemas2 View Post
    Duracell is considered the go to brand for RDS optics. Something to do with larger and more consistent dimensions.
    This.

Aaron Cowan of Sage Dynamics may have some information on this topic, but I'm not sure. I do know he tracked a lot of information to get his white paper on the topic out. http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/7dc128...4a7f7925b1.pdf

Also, @AsianJedi may be able to speak to what he has seen in his classes, as many are specific to red dot shooting.

Personal data:
    Trial 1: Type 1 RMR06, bought in early 2017, used Sony/Energizer batteries and Battleworx sealing plate, mounted on a Zev G17 slide. Immediate flickering, fixed by addition of tape and bending of battery contact (advise provided by Trijicon customer service). Eventually failed to maintain zero, and was unable to adjust back to zero. Sent back to Trijicon, received back about 4 weeks later (they paid both directions), and sold.
    Trial 2: Type 1 RMR06, bought early 2018, used on Glock 17 MOS slide, Duracell batteries, with sticker left on top, Battleworx sealing plate. Battery contacts bent slightly upon initial install. So far so good, about 3k rounds in.
    Trial 3: Type 2 RMR07, bought early 2018, used on Glock 17 MOS slide, Duracell batteries with sticker left on top, Trijicon sealing plate. Couple hundred rounds through it before sending it to Boresight for install on a Wunder-Blaster, so far so good.
    All my guns sport backup irons.
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Anyone try the Swiss brand Murata's version of the CR 2032? I used these in an industrial product that was mounted directly to a big-box retailer HVAC compressor about fifteen years ago and was quite happy with the uniformity and quality. Renata is now part of the Swatch Group and the batteries are used in Swiss quartz movements.

I do not know what Trijicon uses for battery compartment nominal dimensions and tolerances, but my product was designed with a tight battery compartment to insure good contact pressure (lower electrical resistance) and little battery movement during impact and vibration. If the battery goes into the compartment easily and the cover fits with little effort, issues with flickering are to be expected.

http://www.renata.com/fileadmin/down..._sheet_v05.pdf

User Tag List