Thread: 2.0 Small Issue

2.0 Small Issue

Some of y'all might remember the issue I had with my M&P 2.0 Compact getting too cold and mags not free falling. Some folks were convinced I was misreading the situation but others put their weapons in the freezer and found out that YUP, when it gets too cold, mags won't free fall.

Well, it has gotten a little worse. During my last range trip, I switched back straps. I normally use the Med Large, I switched to the Large just to try it out. While the Large was on it, mags would stop at 1/3 out the same way they do when the gun is exposed to cold temps for long periods of time. Didn't matter because I didn't really like the Large backstrap, anyway. However, once I switched back to the Med Large, mags started "dragging" a little. They would free fall BUT, when they get to that 1/3 of the way out spot, they slow down for a little ways then go back to free falling. Not trying to be disgusting but - it would basically poop out mag, if that makes any sense.

It's starting to look like I have it worked out. I dropped it, and reinserted it, over an over an over for a period of days and now it seems to be free falling the way I would expect it to. It is still a little unnerving and I am not certain that the issue will stay at bay.

If you have a 2.0 Compact, pay attention to how your mags drop under varying condition and see if you can spot anything (other than being too cold) that causes your mags to fall funny.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

Site Supporter
    I would be calling Smith for a return label.

Quote Originally Posted by scjbash View Post
    I would be calling Smith for a return label.
    yea, I might have to because I just checked and - while the mag is falling free, if you depress the mag release and hold it down while moving the mag in and out, there is definitely one spot (the same place it like to pause) where you can feel the drag.

ETA - just to be clear, I have 600 trouble free rounds, of various flavors, through this pistol. This is the ONLY "issue" I have with it.
    Last edited by JATA; 05-09-2018 at 06:51 PM.
    "Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of liberty" ~ Thomas Jefferson

I recall seeing somewhere else that it's kind of a known issue with the stiffer-walled backstraps as they squeeze the sides of the frame more. I assume there's some variance from sample to sample, but I think it's the nature of the beast within the production tolerances, and the solution for the person in question was to sand the inside of the backstrap module's side panels to minimize pressure on the frame. Lame, but probably less headache than a customer service crapshoot.

I'd probably hit the magwell also if could locate the cold-induced tight spot.
    Last edited by Schmetallurgy; 05-11-2018 at 11:26 PM.

Vending Machine Operator
    If it concerns you, definitely have Smith look at it. They have one of the better reps for customer service.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

This. All of my interactions with their CS department have been excellent, which is unfortunately somewhat offset by their spotty QC... I'm sure they'll give you an rma label without much in the way of hassle.

Site Supporter
    I agree to check the backstraps. I have been using my 2.0 Compact with the small backstrap with no issues. As I tried larger back straps, I had issues with mags not dropping free. Googled issue and saw comments about using heatgun/hair dryer on larger backstraps to "open" them up so they did not put so much pressure on frame.

Awesome, appreciate it guys!

I'm gonna sit down with three mags (1st full then empty), four backstraps, and check all the different combos. I'm gonna gather data and see if I can identify a pattern, before I sand anything BUT knowing what y'all just told me definitely gets me moving in the right direction. Thanks!

User Tag List