Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AR muzzle brake

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The problem with that article is that it's measuring performance of muzzle devices acting as muzzle breaks, while GJM is looking for the best compensator; the two aren't necessarily correlated, though generally most competition-oriented muzzle devices will attempt to mitigate both rearward recoil and muzzle rise.
    Yes, the article didn't measure the rise of the barrels. But it lists which ones are combinations, like the VG6, and includes some additional information besides measured recoil.

GJM, next time you drive through Las Vegas, you can try it out.

Patrick Kelly did a series on comps and photographed the tracking with a laser. Google it.

I'm very partial to Strike Industries J-COMP type 89
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

I've been considering the compensator Jerry Miculek uses and designed with DPMS. I don't have any experience with it but reviews are favorable and it's nicely priced.

Quote Originally Posted by hufnagel View Post
    I'm very partial to Strike Industries J-COMP type 89
    I've been using this one as well. Very inexpensive and works well enough. Not terribly blasty. A little longer than I'd prefer.

In another lifetime, I spent almost a year of my free time researching a developing muzzle brakes for AR-15 pattern rifles. I quickly found out that to design them properly you really had to have an engineering degree and VERY specific specialization. Which I didn’t. Just finding quality information on the subject was highly difficult, and most of the stuff I found was decades old. I once tried to calculate by hand the efficiency of a brake I “designed” using a formula I found in a dusty text. I got stuck 3 pages into the calculations.

Anyway, the best of them are designed to be barrel length specific. From my research, as I remember it, three baffles are the max on .223/5.56 rifles before you start getting deminishing returns on their effectiveness. Some of them work quite well, some not so much, but in general the large port, side baffle designes worked best.

My current AR, which I hardly shoot anymore (I blame IPSC), wears just a plain old A2. These days, I would probably only use a brake if I was competing. They do work to keep the gun flat during fast strings of fire, but they are obnoxiously loud and disorienting the movement you shoot them near barriers, or inside any semi enclosed structure. Shooting on a line in a class beside folks with brakes is horrible, and going prone, or urban prone, kicks up a horrific amount of dust. IMO when using brakes outside of competition, the juice is not worth the squeeze.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 05-09-2018 at 11:15 PM.
    "Next time somebody says USPSA or IPSC is all hosing, junk punch them." - Les Pepperoni
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Clobbersaurus View Post
    These days, I would probably only use a brake if I was competing. IMO when using brakes outside of competition, the juice is not worth the squeeze.
    Agreed, I have arrived at the same conclusion. I prefer effective flash suppression on a carbine.

Quote Originally Posted by littlejerry View Post
    I've been using this one as well. Very inexpensive and works well enough. Not terribly blasty. A little longer than I'd prefer.
    Pretty much my experience as well. Since I'm not allowed to use anything that is a "flash hider" in the description, and i'm required to pin/weld/permanently attach it to a threaded muzzle, it's been my go-to choice for boom sticks.
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by GhastlyTT View Post
    I've been considering the compensator Jerry Miculek uses and designed with DPMS. I don't have any experience with it but reviews are favorable and it's nicely priced.
    It is a fantastic brake and comp ignoring the extremely low cost

There are many copies and you know what they say about imitation and flattery...

User Tag List