Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AR muzzle brake

AR muzzle brake

A few weeks back, I got to take the Carbine Mastery class at TPC. Lead instructor, Brian Nelson, made the comment that in terms of controlling recoil with the carbine, it goes in this order of priority — stance, then grip, then the muzzle device, then the various operating components.

To date, most of my AR15 carbines have worn regular flash hiders, and I have avoided muzzle brakes because of their increased noise. I do have a BCM MK12 18 inch upper, with a rifle length gas system, that I would like to set up for max performance. Right now, I believe it is wearing some BCM muzzle device, and I wonder what would be the most effective muzzle brake in reducing muzzle rise that would be appropriate for this upper?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    A few weeks back, I got to take the Carbine Mastery class at TPC. Lead instructor, Brian Nelson, made the comment that in terms of controlling recoil with the carbine, it goes in this order of priority — stance, then grip, then the muzzle device, then the various operating components.

To date, most of my AR15 carbines have worn regular flash hiders, and I have avoided muzzle brakes because of their increased noise. I do have a BCM MK12 18 inch upper, with a rifle length gas system, that I would like to set up for max performance. Right now, I believe it is wearing some BCM muzzle device, and I wonder what would be the most effective muzzle brake in reducing muzzle rise that would be appropriate for this upper?
    I like JP:

https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.3_tre.php

Name:  9FFED23F-A38A-4A97-8CAA-CD8A1483DEDA.jpg
Views: 861
Size:  40.5 KB

I like suppressors.
    #RESIST

AR muzzle brake

Like this? I’ve got a Surefire brake on my 18” BCM, but I also have a SF Mini that goes on it.

That brake is no fun to be next to. One time, the blast split a 2x4 on a wall, fragged the RO, and stuck splinters in his face.
    Last edited by Clusterfrack; 05-09-2018 at 02:51 PM.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    ... I wonder what would be the most effective muzzle brake in reducing muzzle rise that would be appropriate for this upper?
    I started with this series of articles to decide on mine:

Muzzle Device Shootout

Site Supporter
    I use the Precision Armament M4-72 because it's effective, not too heavy, and not terrible blast-wise to the shooter (certainly not fun to RO though). I think the Lund/SJC Titan may be a little more effective, but it is heavier and the concussion seemed worse on the shooter when I've used them.

At the class, I had shooters on either side of me with muzzle brakes. Despite plugs and muffs, the concussion was remarkable and at each shot I got a whoosh of air strong enough to blow out contact lenses if you didn’t have glasses on. No fun at all, but I want a rifle set up to maximize performance at certain things.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I can speak to the BattleComp and PWS (ban state resident where brakes were OK but flash hiders were not).

I bought the BattleComp several years ago when the SMEs on a few different boards were talking it up. It's not quite as blasty as other brakes but I've grown to dislike it because it creates an impulse in which the muzzle dips down. Locked in tight as can be the dot will still quirt off the target. Not bad, but annoying. It's also a pain to clean in my situation since it has to be permanently attached. I'm stuck with it but I wouldn't recommend it.

The PWS is like a flash bang going off but shoots incredibly flat. It's old tech at this point but I think it shoots as flat as anything, particularly at the price-point.
    Last edited by MK11; 05-09-2018 at 03:57 PM.

Site Supporter
    Your results will vary depending on your rifle.

I chose a VG6 Gamma 556 EX and it is almost like shooting a .22. Muzzle doesn't move, but it is loud.

I chose it because of weight (3.00 oz.) and cost (($72). I have a 14.5" barrel, so I went with a 2" pinned and welded comp. My 5.56 weighs 5.72 lb. with a Vortex Venom and is easy to carry in an 8 hour class.

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Carter View Post
    I started with this series of articles to decide on mine:

Muzzle Device Shootout
    The problem with that article is that it's measuring performance of muzzle devices acting as muzzle breaks, while GJM is looking for the best compensator; the two aren't necessarily correlated, though generally most competition-oriented muzzle devices will attempt to mitigate both rearward recoil and muzzle rise.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 05-09-2018 at 05:00 PM.

User Tag List