Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AR muzzle brake

I recently swithed to from an A2 to a VG6 Gamma, and dont find it to be obnoxious while making a noticeable difference in muzzle rise

Night and day difference for me, in shooting fast splits to a small target with a muzzle brake vs a stock 6920. Whether that difference means anything depends on what you are doing with the rifle.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I'll tell you a very flat shooting, soft recoiling combination for me. Lothar-Walther 20 inch HBar profile barrel, A5 RE with A5H2 buffer, Sprinco green spring and Battlecomp. It's amazing.

The Battlecomp works harder the shorter the barrel. The shorter the barrel, the more pressure and the more push the BC has. If you drive the AR like you would with an A2 birdcage, the muzzle tends to dip. But if you let the rifle do the work, it stays flat.

Muzzle blast is soft on a 20 inch barrel, a bit more blasty on a 16 inch but not bad. I liked it on the 20 & 16 inch barrel. Go as short as 11.5 inches or less, blast became downright brutal. Not as bad as a brake, but my shooting buddies didn't like it. But the shorter the barrel the flatter and quicker the recoil and it was soft, especially with an adjustable gas block for fine tuning.

In my experience, beyond stance, controlling recoil starts with the gas drive, reciprocating mass and recoil spring. The A5H2 and Sprinco green spring seems to work best with every upper I've got. Get the gas, mass & spring sorted out before worrying about a muzzle device. As much as I like the BC (including the BABC on my 308), my favorite muzzle device hands down is a suppressor.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

User Tag List