Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Not new Model 19’s....

I have all due appreciation for the wheelie in DB's photo, but I must say I have the same level of lust for the Ralston work. I'm really interested in how she carries in the SME Darryl. Gorgeous stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I’m not Darryl, but I have experience using L-frames in the armored truck service over a decade. We had 681’s and 686’s, and with the Federal 125 grain SJHP’s, they’ll shoot pretty loose after awhile. The guns we had were various vintages, and my personal 681 is still right, but I shot 125’s for qualifying and for 100 practice rounds before. The rest of the time, I shot 130 grain USAF ball.

The shop would issue 125 grain .357 reloads at 1400 FPS that we’re commercial reloads. Some dudes, that’s all they shot. THOSE guns would lock up, with ejectors unscrewing, cranes coming loose, strain screws loosening under the stocks, you name it. That’s a BUNCH of horsepower under the hood with the 125’s, and the L frame isn’t as beefy as one would think. It’s more like a K frame that doesn’t carry as gracefully or lightly as a K frame 10, 15 or 19 (or their stainless derivatives).

civiliandefender.com
    About 10 years ago, I tested a 4" inch 686 to see how it would handle .357's. Although I shot several hundred screeching 125 grain rounds out of it, I mainly used 158 grain ones, and I think that might be the difference.

Anyway, I got a great deal on a large number of 158 grain rounds, put them through the 686, and it remains in great shape. A K-frame would never have withstood the pounding.

But it was a new gun (it even, unfortunately, has a lock) and perhaps the use of CNC machines in manufacture (or something) has made them tougher than they were originally.

In my experience, very few revolvers can fire anywhere near the number of rounds as a quality auto (revolvers don't have recoil springs), but my experience is that the 686 is considerable more robust than the 19/66. Though as DB says, Rugers definitely are tougher.

If Model 19s are that much better off with 38 specials, what’s the appeal of one of those over a Model 10? Asking seriously because I want to get some revolvers and model 10s are a lot easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    If Model 19s are that much better off with 38 specials, what’s the appeal of one of those over a Model 10? Asking seriously because I want to get some revolvers and model 10s are a lot easier to find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shrouded barrel, heavy barrel (some Model 10s have heavy barrels), adjustable rear sight, and the ability to fire .357 Magnum. There may be more but this is as much as I'm aware of.
    Last edited by NPV; 05-14-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    Wow, I thought the L-frame was supposed to be bomb-proof.
    Nope. LSP went from 66s to 686s and we use to shoot a bunch of magnums. They hold up better than a K but still shoot loose. In my high-volume revolver days, I was shooting a Python out of time every 3 or 4 months, but not loose. I actually sold a 4” Python and bought an early 686. It stayed in time but did need some end shake love. Boy did I feel stupid a year later....

Name:  IMG_1328.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  70.4 KB
    The six-inch nickel is a 19-3 which I purchased new about 1977, it doesn't come out of the safe very often these days.

The four-inch blued is a more recently acquired (about a year ago?) 19-5 with Ahrends. It has a fair amount of cosmetic wear so gets a lot more use, and it went to the range tonight.
    Last edited by Salamander; 05-17-2018 at 12:31 AM.

User Tag List