Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lucky gunner's 10,000 round test of Brass vs steel cased. Good read.

Lucky gunner's 10,000 round test of Brass vs steel cased. Good read.

Not sure if this has been posted before. I'm on deployment so my internet isn't good or fast. I have to be deliberate with what I do. So I apologize for not searching first. My buddy just sent this article to me.

I really appreciated this article/test. Demonstrates the clear difference between both the quality and wear on the weapons with steel cased ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bra...el-cased-ammo/
    Last edited by navyman8903; 05-09-2018 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by navyman8903 View Post
    Not sure if this has been posted before. I'm on deployment so my internet isn't good or fast. I have to be deliberate with what I do. So I apologize for not searching first. My buddy just sent this article to me.

I really appreciated this article/test. Demonstrates the clear difference between both the quality and wear on the weapons with steel cased ammo.

https://www.luckygunner.com/labs/bra...el-cased-ammo/
    I am surprised at the differences, not that there were, but how much of a difference there really was.

As a rule, I shoot a few hundred rounds of cheap steel cased ammo in my AR's to be sure it will run with it, then the rest is pretty much brass cased new or reloads.

That's an impressive test and interestingly definitive results. I have to wonder if the round count lifespans would be applicable to a slower firing schedule- I.E. a few hundred rounds at a time, over an hour or so per outing. I have to imagine the thermal factor of LG's test protocol had a negative effect on lifespans. Clearly the protocol was the same for each ammo type, but would a lower pace/temperatures would allow for higher total round count before the barrel were to be shot-out?
    Anything I post is my opinion alone as a private citizen.

Quote Originally Posted by DpdG View Post
    That's an impressive test and interestingly definitive results. I have to wonder if the round count lifespans would be applicable to a slower firing schedule- I.E. a few hundred rounds at a time, over an hour or so per outing. I have to imagine the thermal factor of LG's test protocol had a negative effect on lifespans. Clearly the protocol was the same for each ammo type, but would a lower pace/temperatures would allow for higher total round count before the barrel were to be shot-out?
    I do see what you're saying with that. The metallurgical characteristics wouldn't be different, so I think the wear would be the same. I know heat is a fast killer of firearms, and accelerate the process but as for the slow fire vs fast fire, I bet the damage would still be there.

It's been discussed a little, not as useful as a test as it could've been.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It's been discussed a little, not as useful as a test as it could've been.
    How could it have been more useful? I feel like taking all of the data they did was very in-depth. I don't even like/use lucky gunner, so I not holding a candle for them. I thought they did a good job.

How could it have been more useful? I feel like taking all of the data they did was very in-depth. I don't even like/use lucky gunner, so I not holding a candle for them. I thought they did a good job.
    I'd have to search the last thread and a few other forums, it's been a few years since it's come up and I've long since forgotten. Lucky Gunner is fine, Chris Baker is doing TONS of great stuff right now, I just didn't agree with the approach on this particular "evaluation" approach and feel that the conclusions may be a little off.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I'd have to search the last thread and a few other forums, it's been a few years since it's come up and I've long since forgotten. Lucky Gunner is fine, Chris Baker is doing TONS of great stuff right now, I just didn't agree with the approach on this particular "evaluation" approach and feel that the conclusions may be a little off.
    How are they off? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you're being pretty ambiguous and not offering any constructive feedback.

How are they off? I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you're being pretty ambiguous and not offering any constructive feedback.
    I would have liked to see them use higher quality rifles (Bushmaster QC is hit and miss at best). A Colt 6920 isn't that much more money and has top notch QC.

Couldn't tell ya at the moment. I suspect you could find the old thread and browse it for some details. The rest is posted on other forums, I'll need to spend some time searching and refreshing myself on the article as I've written it off.

User Tag List