Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Increasing red dot handgun speed at close range

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    Thanks! I’ll look into it - especially since Ron Avery is involved, and I like the more “natural” aspect to shooting.
    I give TPC’s Handgun Mastery class the highest possible recommendation. I have taken it twice, and look forward to repeating it again. It gets into the nuance of stance and grip in a way no other class I have taken does.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    Once you get to where you can find the dot quickly, the trick is to learn to "trust the dot". Ignoring less than perfect irons alignment is a hard habit to break. And it's not a bad habit, you just have to switch gears between the two. It's like playing piano and playing guitar. There's some similarities, you get music both ways, but it's two different systems.

I dabbled in the RDS concept for a couple of years and shot Carry Optics in USPSA last season. My personal feeling is after you learn to love the dot, irons are slower in most cases. The “paintbrush “ approach where the dot never stops moving really speeds up splits and transitions. I ended up high in B class where I am a low B in Production. Some of it is learning to play the game better, but a lot I attribute to the dot.

Trust your index and the dot appears on the target as long as your grip is consistent.

Regarding the speed/accuracy of the dot - what MOA are you dedicated dot shooters using?

I started with 8MOA as it made the most sense for action pistol shooting, but there are so many running 3MOA - anyone compare the two? Is it easier to lose a 3MOA in recoil? Is it easier to “paint” a target with one or the other? Does one transition target to target better?
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Regarding the speed/accuracy of the dot - what MOA are you dedicated dot shooters using?

I started with 8MOA as it made the most sense for action pistol shooting, but there are so many running 3MOA - anyone compare the two? Is it easier to lose a 3MOA in recoil? Is it easier to “paint” a target with one or the other? Does one transition target to target better?
    It's been a bit since I watched this video. IIRC, Aaron Cowan (Sage Dynamics) said he prefers the 6.5 MOA dot on his RMRs. For him, easier dot tracking (large dot) is more important than precision at longer ranges (small dot).

I'm taking a 2 day RDS class with Modern Samurai Project this weekend. I'll be sure to leave a detailed AAR.
    Last edited by David S.; 05-16-2018 at 09:34 PM.
    David S.

As a rather new RMR shooter, this is an awesome thread.

With a 10 yard zero, [my current], what is the approximate hold at 25? As on a B-8.

Thank you in advance.

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lance; 05-24-2018 at 09:32 AM.

GJM,

Any other suggestions for refining pistol index from the draw? Besides quality repetitions with a consistent grip? Obviously dedicated dry practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lance View Post
    As a rather new RMR shooter, this is an awesome thread.

With a 10 yard zero, [my current], what is the approximate hold at 25? As on a B-8.

Thank you in advance.

Bill
    Using a 10 yard zero at 25 yards should be about 2 1/2" high.

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by David S. View Post
    It's been a bit since I watched this video. IIRC, Aaron Cowan (Sage Dynamics) said he prefers the 6.5 MOA dot on his RMRs. For him, easier dot tracking (large dot) is more important than precision at longer ranges (small dot).
    I really can't tell much of a speed difference up close (under 15 yards or so). You can tell the accuracy difference past that so I prefer 3 MOA. I'm not selling my 6.5, it's still fine. The 9 MOA dual illumination models glow like a reactor rod in daylight, but that's a big dot when you're aiming at 6" plates at 25 yds.

User Tag List