Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Increasing red dot handgun speed at close range

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    No, the dot does not need to settle, see the example of the right 3x5 depiction above.

The first barrier to learning to shoot the red dot fast up close is psychological — believing that it will be slower. Throw that away, and set your goal to shoot the dot as fast or faster up close. The second barrier is believing you need the dot to stay still in one spot — accept that you only need the dot to stay within your acceptable target area as you press the trigger.
    This is good advice! It's something I will definitely be working on in the future. I'm about 2,000 rounds into it with the dot so far.

First, I discuss the philosophy of a direct presentation vs a press out:

Here I am, doing my best to demo a direct presentation, drawing to an eight inch steel at 15 yards, with my P09/Vortex Venom, no BUIS:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

George,
    In reference to the DA draws video on page 1; it does not appear that you are following through on the next sight picture after the shot breaks...:: or prepping the trigger during the "reactive shooting" cycle
    Why?

It seems that we should at least also acquire the 2nd sight picture even if we do not prep the trigger...

It seems a little rushed checking the timer w/ no follow though at all.

This is just another life long student focusing on learning from each other!

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    First, I discuss the philosophy of a direct presentation vs a press out:

Here I am, doing my best to demo a direct presentation, drawing to an eight inch steel at 15 yards, with my P09/Vortex Venom, no BUIS:

Such good info!

Quote Originally Posted by KneeShot View Post
    George,
    In reference to the DA draws video on page 1; it does not appear that you are following through on the next sight picture after the shot breaks...:: or prepping the trigger during the "reactive shooting" cycle
    Why?

It seems that we should at least also acquire the 2nd sight picture even if we do not prep the trigger...

It seems a little rushed checking the timer w/ no follow though at all.

This is just another life long student focusing on learning from each other!

Jeremy
    I certainly agree that I was timer focused on the draws! The follow through is kind of interesting, because while it doesn’t look like I was following through, on the last draw when I had a surprise empty chamber, the gun didn’t move from steady on target, and was a great example of TPC’s “let recoil happen.” On the video I posted on this page, I made a more conscious effort to do a classic follow through.

Was discussing follow through with a TPC instructor yesterday. I think I am calling the shot before and during the press, as opposed to in the traditional way of as the sight lifts.

This pistol shooting thing is an ongoing learning process!

And this is why PF is so much better than all the other forums. Great Stuff GJM. A couple of things/questions. Regarding your draw and presentation, I find it much more natural to do a “press out” when drawing from aiwb. From owb holster, it seems more natural to do what you illustrate in the video. Something I’ll work on.

Secondly, for me beyond 5 yards isn’t a problem at all acquiring the dot with accuracy, for me the struggle is at 5 yards in, great example is doing a dot torture at 3/4 yards. My dot has to be at the very top of the circle, if the dot is placed inside on the middle of the circle, it always goes low. My dot is zeroed in at 10 yards, at 25 it makes the issue even more prevalent.

Quote Originally Posted by Dismas316 View Post
    And this is why PF is so much better than all the other forums. Great Stuff GJM. A couple of things/questions. Regarding your draw and presentation, I find it much more natural to do a “press out” when drawing from aiwb. From owb holster, it seems more natural to do what you illustrate in the video. Something I’ll work on.

Secondly, for me beyond 5 yards isn’t a problem at all acquiring the dot with accuracy, for me the struggle is at 5 yards in, great example is doing a dot torture at 3/4 yards. My dot has to be at the very top of the circle, if the dot is placed inside on the middle of the circle, it always goes low. My dot is zeroed in at 10 yards, at 25 it makes the issue even more prevalent.
    At close distance, there is mechanical offset between dot and the barrel, just like an AR but less amount of offset. At seven yards, for example, on two,inch dots I hold at the top of the dot. On a one inch dot, I hold just above the dot. My red dot pistols are zeroed at 25 yards.

GJM, what is TPC?

And have you addressed the tipped up muzzle with changing out the back strap? You’re referring to how you’re indexing right? I ask because I have an SP01 and installed the medium blackstrap on my P09 as it appears to have the same grip shape.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by guymontag View Post
    GJM, what is TPC?

And have you addressed the tipped up muzzle with changing out the back strap? You’re referring to how you’re indexing right? I ask because I have an SP01 and installed the medium blackstrap on my P09 as it appears to have the same grip shape.
    TPC is Tactical Performance Center in southern Utah. Tipped up muzzle is old press out muscle memory.

Thanks! I’ll look into it - especially since Ron Avery is involved, and I like the more “natural” aspect to shooting.
    When you have to shoot, shoot, don't talk. -Tuco
    Today is victory over yourself of yesterday... -Miyamoto Musashi

User Tag List