Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wiley Clapp GP100

Quote Originally Posted by deputyG23 View Post
    A M10 or M64 with a 4" barrel would be a good starting point, in my opinion. These have been "combat revolvers" for literally decades and can be acquired relatively inexpensively compared to adjustable sight guns or .357s.
    I'm not against it.

The novak sights on the Wiley Clapp caught my attention. I'm partial to 3" barrels, but wouldn't mind a 4".

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    For a CC piece, I think a K frame is just that much smaller and lighter to be a better choice than a GP, but if you're going to try to wear it out, go with the GP. Or get both...
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I’m a fan of these Roper-style stocks. I’m probably going to get some for my S&W M19, too, I like them so much.
    Picked up my .357 half lug today. I will have to spend some time with it, but I suspect I'll end up changing the stocks out for the MC grip. It needs some serious action smoothing and a touch-up on the crown (not dinged, but non-concentric), so it's just going to sit in the safe until I can prioritize a Saturday for that. The press is OK, but the release feels something like a Harbor Freight ratchet that someone dropped in a sand dune. Also need to epoxy bed under the front sight. I do really like the balance. It's just a tad heavier in the nose than the MC, but not sluggish. I suspect I'd still think a six-inch half-lug was more front-heavy than I like.
    Not another dime.

Something like this?Name:  6C2F2941-E707-4067-84C6-4969A2BCE7BB.jpg
Views: 591
Size:  75.1 KB

I can see how the previous posts could be confusing, but it’s one of the Lipsey’s Rivers.
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I was looking at one of those, but ended up with one of the talo green fiber optic 3 inchers. It has the novak sites front and rear. I bought a set of the altamont compact grips and a milt sparks VM-2 and it carries pretty well (at least around the house, I haven't really been able to test it yet at the range). Let me know how the 5 incher works out, I still might pick one up.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I can see how the previous posts could be confusing, but it’s one of the Lipsey’s Rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Well....

I've been doing some of the same thinking, not because I really NEED a .357 revolver, but because I want one. Mine would be more as an outdoorsman/back country revolver.

I'll likely go with a GP100, but here are other items on my list, in no particular order:

1) A Service Six
    2) A Model 19 or Model 66
    3) A Model 586 or 686
    4) A Model 27, 28, or 627

There is lots of fun to be had weighing the relative merits of each.
    These are all great choices to look at. The only revolver I would add(maybe far less practical due to parts issues) is a Colt Trooper Mk.III. Yes, it's out of production (so is the Service-Six, but Ruger will replace worn ones with a GP100 from what I hear) but non-mint ones are available at the same price point as the Smiths above, and it's only going to go up in value if you want to switch it out for something else later. I am very partial to Smiths, but I love my 4" Trooper. The trigger feels like glass-on-glass, and the old Colt blue is deep and beautiful.

If I was hankering for a 3", I would definitely be looking at a 66. They just look right, and I think they would be a great carry and range gun.

Again, NOTHING wrong with any of the above choices. I did much early shooting on range rental 28s, and I wish I had appreciated my luck at the time!

If the .357 bug really strikes, you WILL need at least three.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Well....

I've been doing some of the same thinking, not because I really NEED a .357 revolver, but because I want one. Mine would be more as an outdoorsman/back country revolver.

I'll likely go with a GP100, but here are other items on my list, in no particular order:

1) A Service Six
    2) A Model 19 or Model 66
    3) A Model 586 or 686
    4) A Model 27, 28, or 627

There is lots of fun to be had weighing the relative merits of each.
    Are you looking for a revolver that you will normally shoot .38s with or one that you will mostly shoot .357s out of?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Are you looking for a revolver that you will normally shoot .38s with or one that you will mostly shoot .357s out of?
    Yes.

I want the FIRST one I buy to be up to a steady diet of .357.

I'm more flexible about what comes after that. I've been watching pre-Model 10s go for stupid low money on GB, and am asking myself why I don't own one, for example.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Yes.

I want the FIRST one I buy to be up to a steady diet of .357.
    I suspect that’s going to limit you to a Smith & Wesson Model 27 or 28 or a GP100. Maybe a 586/686. For .357s, heavier is almost always better.

I’m more flexible about what comes after that. I’ve been watching pre-Model 10s go for stupid low money on GB, and am asking myself why I don't own one, for example.
    There are DAO Model 64s that are also going for stupid-cheap money. Any K frame that is in shooting condition and is below $300.......probably why I bought three of them last year (two 64s and a 10-7). There are also some good deals to be had, from time to time, on Model 15s.

Damn the iPhone Typos!
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List