Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiley Clapp GP100

Wiley Clapp GP100

I've recently reignited my interest in wheel guns. I've always been a fan of J-Frames, and lucked out by finding a good condition Model 36 for $200! I couldn't pass it up. I've been looking into acquiring a few other guns, and a friend of mine showed me the Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100. Ever since then, I've been on the hunt for a "combat" style revolver. Before I jump in the deep end, are there other revolvers in that genre I should be looking at?

Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    I've recently reignited my interest in wheel guns. I've always been a fan of J-Frames, and lucked out by finding a good condition Model 36 for $200! I couldn't pass it up. I've been looking into acquiring a few other guns, and a friend of mine showed me the Ruger Wiley Clapp GP100. Ever since then, I've been on the hunt for a "combat" style revolver. Before I jump in the deep end, are there other revolvers in that genre I should be looking at?
    Well....

I've been doing some of the same thinking, not because I really NEED a .357 revolver, but because I want one. Mine would be more as an outdoorsman/back country revolver.

I'll likely go with a GP100, but here are other items on my list, in no particular order:

1) A Service Six
    2) A Model 19 or Model 66
    3) A Model 586 or 686
    4) A Model 27, 28, or 627

There is lots of fun to be had weighing the relative merits of each.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Wiley Clapp GP100 is a nice gun, although the "Hawkeye Blue" was very susceptible to finish wear. At least the early models were. I bought one and quickly had to send it back to Ruger to refinish. Our armorer bought one and also had unacceptable wear very quickly. I don't know if this was an issue across the board or just early on, the refinish seems to have held up well, but I don't use it much any more either.

I like the brass bead front sight on the blued. If I really wanted to carry it routinely, I'd probably go for the stainless, though.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I recently got one of these for, “outdoorsmanship.” Not my photo...holster by Simply Rugged.

Ruger GP100 .44 Special.

civiliandefender.com

I've posted this photo before. Hope you guys don't mind if I do it again.

This is my plain old GP100. I added the fiber optic front sight and Ruger "compact" grips. And I polished it because I'm a cretin and I like things that are shiney. I've shot everything in it from mouse-fart 38 specials, to 180 grain Buffalo Bore cast bullets, and it shoots just as well, maybe even better, than when it was brand new in the mid-90's.

I have 357 mag revolvers with fixed sights and with adjustable sights. I really like adjustable sights, especially in a 357 mag revolver. Having to remember if I should hold low or high for precision shots just wears me out.

I'm a big fan of the GP100.

Name:  gp100.jpg
Views: 1158
Size:  48.4 KB
    Ordinary guy

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    I recently got one of these for, “outdoorsmanship.” Not my photo...holster by Simply Rugged.

Ruger GP100 .44 Special.

civiliandefender.com
    Are you going to put your favorite NFG grips on it? I'm just picked up the .357 from someone who says his GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) overpowered his GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome) after one range trip. I'm thinking about modifying the Match Champion grip I'm not using to match the way I modded your NFG fave and trying it on the blue.

To address the OP, I think a GP100 MC in .357 and a case of ammo is probably the best answer.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

This is my favorite GP 100. MC 357 with old style Lett type grips. Also has Novak front night sight.
    Last edited by Zeke38; 05-08-2018 at 09:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    Are you going to put your favorite NFG grips on it? I'm just picked up the .357 from someone who says his GAS (Guitar Acquisition Syndrome) overpowered his GAS (Gun Acquisition Syndrome) after one range trip. I'm thinking about modifying the Match Champion grip I'm not using to match the way I modded your NFG fave and trying it on the blue.

To address the OP, I think a GP100 MC in .357 and a case of ammo is probably the best answer.
    I’m a fan of these Roper-style stocks. I’m probably going to get some for my S&W M19, too, I like them so much.

civiliandefender.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Well....

I've been doing some of the same thinking, not because I really NEED a .357 revolver, but because I want one. Mine would be more as an outdoorsman/back country revolver.

I'll likely go with a GP100, but here are other items on my list, in no particular order:

1) A Service Six
    2) A Model 19 or Model 66
    3) A Model 586 or 686
    4) A Model 27, 28, or 627

There is lots of fun to be had weighing the relative merits of each.
    My FIL has two unfired Model 19's that he's had since his detective days. One 19-3 and one 19-6. Both are in great condition. He wants to get rid of them, but won't let me have them or even buy them. He's one of those talker type people. He'll tell you he wants to get rid of something, but puts zero effort into doing so.

He also has a nice 629, but it needs work.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Wiley Clapp GP100 is a nice gun, although the "Hawkeye Blue" was very susceptible to finish wear. At least the early models were. I bought one and quickly had to send it back to Ruger to refinish. Our armorer bought one and also had unacceptable wear very quickly. I don't know if this was an issue across the board or just early on, the refinish seems to have held up well, but I don't use it much any more either.

I like the brass bead front sight on the blued. If I really wanted to carry it routinely, I'd probably go for the stainless, though.
    That's a good point. I would probably carry it every now and then, and it gets quite sweaty down here in Louisiana.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post

Ruger GP100 .44 Special.

civiliandefender.com
    I like your style

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by DAVE_M View Post
    A M10 or M64 with a 4" barrel would be a good starting point, in my opinion. These have been "combat revolvers" for literally decades and can be acquired relatively inexpensively compared to adjustable sight guns or .357s.

User Tag List