Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RFI- Deadbolt locks

Site Supporter
    A friend when remodeling added a second outer door in front the regular doors. The inner door was substantial with good locks. The outer doors were flimsy and easily breached. But they were hooked up to the alarm system which went off when an outer door was jerked or pried open.

I’m using the cheap kwikset keypad locks. Not the smart home ones, although I wish I’d gotten those. It’d be great to be able to hit one button on my phone and know that they were all locked.

We have a guest house, workshop, and three doors into the house that we use regularly. I’m not marching around the house finding the one open door or looking for a key. I decided we had to have keypads the first week we were in the house and I walked over to get something out of the shop only to find I hadn’t brought the key. Which reminds me, we’ve been using the front door more lately so I need to get one more keypad...

Would I prefer to have the super internet locks? Sure. Do I want to spend that kind of money for the number of doors I have, the loss of convenience, all for the false sense of security? No.

For most houses I’ve seen putting fancy locks in the doors is like putting a padlock on a paper briefcase. There are so many other means of entry that have zero to do with the lock itself.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    For most houses I’ve seen putting fancy locks in the doors is like putting a padlock on a paper briefcase. There are so many other means of entry that have zero to do with the lock itself.
    From previously living in a house that was burglared via bumping, I disagree.

Sure, a good lock on it's own is obviously not the answer to all security matters but it's where security starts. You add from there. If you don't care to address the other security vulnerabilities as a way of justifying using shit locks, well.....ok.

A good lock, halfway decent door (not even an actual security door) with 3" screws into the wood, and laminate glass on the ground floor is a night and day difference in a level of security from nothing.

We have a guest house, workshop, and three doors into the house that we use regularly. I’m not marching around the house finding the one open door or looking for a key.
    Irrelevant red herring.

You can buy keypad and smart-home type high security locks. Or you could just have them keyed the same. Or you can even have the locks keyed differently, and with Mul-T-Lock MT5 keys you can have each side of the key programmed for a different lock as a sort of limited masterkey, per se, and keep general keys with access to only the guest house or house for other people (that way they can't get into your shop, or whatever the setup might be).

Would I prefer to have the super internet locks? Sure. Do I want to spend that kind of money for the number of doors I have, the loss of convenience, all for the false sense of security? No.
    Sounds like you're trying to disparage Option B in order to justify you going with Option A. Pretty standard for Rob_S. They're not "super internet locks", they're actual real products used successfully by real people for actual security. It's not a false sense of security, as much as you want to say it is in order to make yourself feel better about using the Jimenez Arms of locks.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-30-2018 at 02:07 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Site Supporter
    Any suggestions on a security door and screen/storm door? I want to increase the security but still look residential. Door jam upgrades? I understand that thieves will still get in; but unless specifically targeted I want the normal lazy burglar to just pick another place. In my career I never met a door that I couldn’t boot open. Of course I never tried it on a hardened door.

The locksmith that installed Medco locks on our house recommended Door Devils as a next step. We'll do that eventually, though we have glass inserts in half our doors and surrounds around the front door, so I don't know how good it would do.

We installed Home Depot security doors that will double as screen doors when I have the time to glue some finer mesh screen on it.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Any suggestions on a security door and screen/storm door? I want to increase the security but still look residential. Door jam upgrades? I understand that thieves will still get in; but unless specifically targeted I want the normal lazy burglar to just pick another place. In my career I never met a door that I couldn’t boot open. Of course I never tried it on a hardened door.
    If you want to pretty much make it kick proof while still looking residential, get a steel door and jamb reinforcement. Solid core is best, but hollow-core filled with insulators is more common (and thermo efficient for heating/cooling). These are pretty common, check out ProVia doors online.

Even just using 3" screws on an unreinforced jamb with a fiberglass door is going to take some really good kicks to get it, add a jamb reinforcement and you virtually have to punch through the door to get in. We went that route so that fire/rescue can still reasonably get in without an obnoxious amount of work. In other words, a burglary crew isn't going to use the amount of work it takes to get through this setup to begin with (at least in our townhouse community)....and if they do, they're not a fucking burglary crew to begin with...

Layered security and all that.....the gun/gear room is keyed separately, has a steel door, and steel reinforced jamb.
    Last edited by TGS; 08-01-2018 at 03:14 PM.

In addition to the video posted by Malamute from the Victoria PD, here's another video that demonstrates how strong a typical door setup can actually be just by adding long screws into the stud: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lisMf8jof08

That survived 60 kicks, with no actual steel reinforcement of the jamb.

Even if it's a murderer using an axe or sledge to punch a hole in the door like Jack Nicholson and open the deadbolt manually, that still gives you a good 10+ seconds of reactionary gap. Time, space, force....those concepts. The stronger setup allows you time, which allows you to create space, and also give you time to bring more force by retrieving a weapon (or bigger weapon).

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    From previously living in a house that was burglared via bumping, I disagree.

Sure, a good lock on it's own is obviously not the answer to all security matters but it's where security starts. You add from there. If you don't care to address the other security vulnerabilities as a way of justifying using shit locks, well.....ok.

A good lock, halfway decent door (not even an actual security door) with 3" screws into the wood, and laminate glass on the ground floor is a night and day difference in a level of security from nothing.

Irrelevant red herring.

You can buy keypad and smart-home type high security locks. Or you could just have them keyed the same. Or you can even have the locks keyed differently, and with Mul-T-Lock MT5 keys you can have each side of the key programmed for a different lock as a sort of limited masterkey, per se, and keep general keys with access to only the guest house or house for other people (that way they can't get into your shop, or whatever the setup might be).

Sounds like you're trying to disparage Option B in order to justify you going with Option A. Pretty standard for Rob_S. They're not "super internet locks", they're actual real products used successfully by real people for actual security. It's not a false sense of security, as much as you want to say it is in order to make yourself feel better about using the Jimenez Arms of locks.

With such a well-reasoned, fact-based, emotionless, non-personal, un-hysterical response, how could I not see the light!?

When literally your entire counter-argument breaks down to “ I don’t like you and your point of view makes me angry because I’m so invested in my emotional opinion” it speaks volumes.

Carry on with your fancy locks and your hardened fortress. It clearly makes you happy, and any challenge, even on the internet from someone you clearly don’t respect in any way, appears to weaken that happiness.

You should probably put me on ignore. I’d hate to think my opinion of your fortress would cause you to lose sleep or confidence in same.

Moved to Mindset and Tactics. Keep the discussion technical since we can't keep it technical in GD.
    #RESIST

User Tag List