Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI- Deadbolt locks

We went with Medco and security doors as part of a long term upgrade project. At some point we will add Door Devils and window film too too.

It's all about slowing the intruder down and/or requiring him to make more noise during entry.
    Last edited by David S.; 05-08-2018 at 05:10 PM.
    David S.

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Which schlage?
    Schlage Primus would be one to consider, it's a six-pin lock - http://lockwiki.com/index.php/Schlage_Primus

In my experience it's much harder to bump/rake these open. You'd be better off to find a less harden point of entry.

Abloy Protec 2 cylinder'd locks are available from your local locksmith and from securitysnobs.com

Whatever lock you use, get longer screws if the lock doesnt come with them, get them in the knob and hinge side also. the door jamb is normally 3/4" material set on shims inside the wall framing, often floating on finish nails and held in place by the trim. It splinters and breaks out when forced hard. None of the normal door lock or hinge hardware goes all the way into the framing, the better grade stuff may. A friend whos son is a fireman said in training, normal doors were quite easy to kick in, doors that had longer screws all around were much harder to get into, requiring more time and tools.

Black drywall screws are hardened, as are the gold Torx screws. Dont run them in so tight they distort the door jambs. If its not shimmed tight right at the screw point, that can happen.

Good quality locks are a great idea, but if a teenage kid can simply kick in the door, the locks dont mean much.
    Last edited by Malamute; 05-08-2018 at 10:49 PM.

Another point is that doors that open outward are nearly impossible to kick in. They are slightly more vulnerable to prying open, but that's manageable with proper designs.

Almost all of our burglaries are window breaks or simple door kicks. As Malamute pointed out, the jamb itself is the weakest link.

I notice that both this and the site mentioned in a previous post list the Kwikset smart key locks as better options. I understand that alarm companies use them because they are easy to integrate into a whole house system. But, unless they have strengthened the internal design so the cylinder cannot be easily turned, they seem like a poor choice.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Almost all of our burglaries are window breaks or simple door kicks. As Malamute pointed out, the jamb itself is the weakest link.
    The robberies in my area, that I am aware of, mostly fall into two categories. Empty house, no alarm where the doors are either unlocked or B&E. The other is where there is an alarm and the bad guys do a home invasion when they know people are there to open safes, etc. A few years back there was a gang that targeted older business people and would hurt them, imagine the worst, to get access to money and guns.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 05-09-2018 at 12:11 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Another point is that doors that open outward are nearly impossible to kick in. They are slightly more vulnerable to prying open, but that's manageable with proper designs.

... the jamb itself is the weakest link.
    As shown here,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwmcpukL7kE

Regarding doors that open outwards, as an entry door or a door you want to harden inside the house, such as a closet or secure room, the hinge pins can be pulled since they are exposed, but there are ways to prevent the door from coming open if the pins are pulled, one is to remove opposing pairs of hinge screws in two or more hinges, run 3" or so screws into the jamb side of the hinge with about 3/4-1 inch left out, cut the head off with a dremel cutoff wheel, and the remaining exposed screw body goes into the opposite missing screw hole in the door side of the hinge when the door closes, so even with the pins out, the door doesnt just pull or fall out of the frame. There also exist special jamb pins for that purpose.

https://www.google.com/search?q=jamb...hrome&ie=UTF-8

There are hinges with security features to help prevent this, but they have little engagement surface. It may be possible to pry the jamb apart with a pry bar and get them apart. I havent tried it, just a guess looking at them.

A true pro can circumvent most security attempts, but we can weed out the opportunistic or low level actors with some preventive measures. If anyopne has unlimited time and tools, they will get in, but for most of us, if we make it harder than most are willing to deal with, we won that round. I also dont leave tools laying around that would make it easy to break in, like an axe, sledge hammer, or angle head grinder on the porch or unsecured close by. My shop and all tools are locked up when i'm not around.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Medeco or Abloy deadbolts, keyed alike.

It will cost more, but not a whole lot more. The Medeco Maxum Residential is ~$100-150 retail.

Of course this assumes that other aspects of the door are not more easily defeated (door frame is properly reinforced, windows surrounding the doors aren't easily broken into, etc.).

In my experience, you want security without looking "overly secure". Let your house be the one the criminals skip (which also means not overtly coming in and out of the house with valuables).

Most residential locks are easy to pick. I have a set of picks laying here on my desk, I'd guess I could rake open or pick the locks of almost every door in my apartment building - except the front and rear doors, which are keyed alike Medecos.

FYI the lock you listed is fairly easily defeated:

That's unnerving, I have that exact deadbolt on my front door...
    On the positive, it has taken 3 years for the 9v battery to die?

Site Supporter
    The shitty kwikset door handle set on my front failed last night. The cast interior parts broke into pieces and you could not open the door. I have been wanting to upgrade my home security and this just pushed it to the top of the list. I want to replace the dead bolt with a Medeco. I only replacing two door locks so it is not a crazy upgrade money wise but I am stuck on what brand door knob/ set to get. I went to Home Depot and grabbed a schlage door set as a place holder. I liked the Baldwin set. It was heavier than the schlage but the interior parts looked to be of cheaper quality. It is my understanding that kwikset bought Baldwin. I found many good reviews of the Emtek lock sets and I am going to research commercial schlage . The one I bought seems flimsy. Suggestions for knobs and jamb reinforcements?
    Last edited by Poconnor; 07-11-2018 at 10:40 AM.

Here's a good video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXcGTkjaSkA

We went with the Mul-T-Lock Hercular ANSI Grade 1 deadbolt. We like that the key won't fuck up your pockets like Medeco, and they had better availability for us than the Assa Abloy locks. Medeco owns a big portion of the high security lock business, but they're far from being the top dog. I wouldn't bother considering them if you can get Mul-T-Lock or Assa Abloy.

The key control with the Mul-T-Lock is waaaay better than Medeco as well. Medeco key control is a farce. In terms of forced entry, the Mul-T-Lock Hercular is also superior because the Israeli's basically took the HK G3/MP5 bolt design and applied it to a lock.....so the bolt itself actually locks into the door frame, which gives it extra resistance against kicks and door spreaders.

If anyone reading this has regular home depot grade locks on their doors, you really need to pay attention and get that shit swapped out ASAP. If you're not comfortable leaving your doors unlocked, then you shouldn't be comfortable using regular locks from hardware stores, either.
    Last edited by TGS; 07-29-2018 at 10:32 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

User Tag List