Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI- Deadbolt locks

RFI- Deadbolt locks

Looking to change out my locks to the entry doors- front door, door to garage, and door to sun room.
    Doing some research of deadbolt locks and wanted to see what y’all thought or used.
    Due to finances- I’m most likely stuck with Home Depot but I see they do have a solid set of choices. Will look at other spots if I can’t find a good review at the big box store.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Schlage-...-619/203072627

Looking at something like this.
    Last edited by holmes168; 05-08-2018 at 06:14 AM.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Medeco or Abloy deadbolts, keyed alike.

It will cost more, but not a whole lot more. The Medeco Maxum Residential is ~$100-150 retail.

Of course this assumes that other aspects of the door are not more easily defeated (door frame is properly reinforced, windows surrounding the doors aren't easily broken into, etc.).

In my experience, you want security without looking "overly secure". Let your house be the one the criminals skip (which also means not overtly coming in and out of the house with valuables).

Most residential locks are easy to pick. I have a set of picks laying here on my desk, I'd guess I could rake open or pick the locks of almost every door in my apartment building - except the front and rear doors, which are keyed alike Medecos.

FYI the lock you listed is fairly easily defeated:

Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-08-2018 at 11:36 AM.

The biggest problem with the keypad dead bolts, besides the electronics, is that people usually use 4 digit non repeating codes. I'm not sure what they can be programmed to but I think at least 6 digits with one repeat should be enough. After a month or so it's pretty obvious what numbers are being used and it's 24 possible combinations. I've entered houses on more than couple health and welfare checks, just by going through the numbers.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

My research concurs with RevolverRob's recommendation of Medeco or Abloy. However, getting the number of locks I needed keyed alike would have been pretty expensive and probably not justified with out getting more robust doors, frames, and so forth. So, I compromised and got the highest security rated double cylinder Schlage deadbolts and matched the lock numbers on the back of the box to get them keyed alike. Also looked at the "smart" locks and did not like what I found as they seem to compromise too much security and reliability for convenience. Unless you have a need for keyless entry, integrating them with a security system, or some other feature that they provide, I would not go that route.
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 05-08-2018 at 03:30 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    My research concurs with RevolverRob's recommendation of Medeco or Abloy. However, getting the number of locks I needed keyed alike would have been pretty expensive and probably not justified with out getting more robust doors, frames, and so forth. So, I compromised and got the highest security rated double cylinder Schlage deadbolts and matched the lock numbers on the back of the box to get them keyed alike. Also looked at the "smart" locks and did not like what I found as they seem to compromise too much security and reliability for convenience. Unless you have a need for keyless entry, integrating them with a security system, or some other feature that they provide, I would not go that route.
    Which schlage?
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

My brother-in-law is a locksmith, and will only have Medeco on his doors.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Last edited by Guerrero; 05-08-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

I researched this to death a few years ago. I have a Medeco and a BiLock.
    I believe Abloy now owns Medeco.

Some good info at this site and a very reputable dealer

https://securitysnobs.com/Choosing-A-Brand.html
    https://securitysnobs.com/The-Bumping-Threat.html

Quote Originally Posted by holmes168 View Post
    Which schlage?
    I do not recall the model number but if I had to guess, it was probably one like this. The website lets you narrow down to ANSI Grade 1 exterior locks.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List