Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RFI: Personal information security - Apps, devices and practices

RFI: Personal information security - Apps, devices and practices

I am interested in any tool, device and best practice suggestions regarding security of Internet and personal communication. Best bang for the buck for the layman.

I'm under no illusion of being able to completely step away from popular Operating Systems, Google, social media, etc. Nor am I looking to sandbox 'n darknet all the things. However I'd like to limit Terms Of Service-defined spying, e-mail mining, etc. Just because I can.

I've made changes to the services and tools I use for Internet and other communication. E-mail provider, browser, search engine, VPN availability, cloud storage/backup, device encryption, firewalls, phone service provider, etc.

Give me your boilerplate or your special sauce like Purism devices and Silent Circle applications.

Gracias.

Proton VPN, maybe as a start.
    From Older Offspring after a discussion of coffee:

"If it doesn't come from the Kaffa province of Ethiopia, it's just hot roasted-bean juice."

Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    Proton VPN, maybe as a start.
    Aye, I am using ProtonMail and VPN. Side benefit is a workaround for "this content is blocked in your country".

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar
    It sounds like you've already hit all the considerations that are practical for most folks.

I'd have to do serious research into hardened hardware before dropping money on something like that. When you hear a company claim they have the most secure phone in the world, then you learn the company is based in the UAE, you think, "...Right."
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

I use the signal app for text- from what I read it’s still remaining secure.
    I use Dashlane to pick out random passwords.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Run signal for messaging

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Listen to the "complete privacy & security podcast" and knock yourself out.

Thanks guys, that's good stuff.

I need to get my phone security in order. If I needed a new phone I would entertain a new "clean" OS device but my Android is fine for now.

Rooting is a given. My rooting options for the AT&T-branded and -bloated phone were nil until someone recently figured a way to retrograde to get around the AT&T blocks. I'll practice the basics on an older Android phone.

In the interim I'm using NetGuard to restrict communication. On AT&T it would cause me to run over 15GB limit in less than a week; AT&T config calculated blocked/retry data as sent data and appeared to double-count actual sent data. I moved to MNVOs recently (thanks, @Tom_Jones) and NetGuard works just fine now.

I use LastPass.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    I use LastPass.
    Password managers are a good idea, I'm currently using KeePass (though I'm not technical enough to compare the two)

My school has no concept of infosec (they don't even encrypt wifi...) so to get some degree of security there I have a subscription to a VPN that I chose because it was the lowest price option that integrates well with my phone and laptop. It's not the most secure service out there but it's all about trade offs.

I also spent some time searching for myself and found a bunch of my personal info listed on whitepages even though I thought I had it removed. I was cross listed with some other family members and whitepages made it unnervingly easy to figure out where we all lived. Something to keep in mind also.

User Tag List