Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Handling Arthritis

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Ketogenic type of diet. Minimize carbohydrates, eliminate sugars, consume higher fats and moderate protein. Add Tumeric Curcumin to your daily intake.

ETA - I have had chronic back pain from injury going as far back as the mid 90's and have been on about everything to maintain the pain since. Throughout my career with gear, training, etc, I have had 7 surgeries in the last 15 years. I was near 240 in Jan 2018. Went on the above diet. Down to 208lbs as I sit here, but the biggest thing is that I am virtually pain free in the joints, all joints. I have been this same weight in the past but never pain free.

Father is 75 with swollen hands barely functioned. Same diet routine, his hands have little pain and he can use them again recently.
    I've become more and more of a believer in the keto diet the longer I've been on it and the more aware I've become on what a healthy keto diet looks like. It isn't just butter covered, bacon wrapped steaks with almonds.

When I was having problems with (what I thought was) carpal tunnel, member @Mjolnir recommended tumeric. After about a week I feel it started to help with some of the symptoms. I've continued to take it even after discovering that my issue wasn't carpal tunnel.

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    After using acetaminophen(Tylenol ingredient)frequently over time, blood tests showed unwanted effects on my liver. Remember, guys, that all these different medicines--prescription and otc--can cause harm and require monitoring. Acetaminophen is a component of Vicodin and maybe other pain meds so we can be taking the stuff and not know it.
    My mom's liver started shutting down due to Tylenol abuse, so yeah it is easier to happen than you might think.

Quote Originally Posted by jwperry View Post
    I've become more and more of a believer in the keto diet the longer I've been on it and the more aware I've become on what a healthy keto diet looks like. It isn't just butter covered, bacon wrapped steaks with almonds.

When I was having problems with (what I thought was) carpal tunnel, member @Mjolnir recommended tumeric. After about a week I feel it started to help with some of the symptoms. I've continued to take it even after discovering that my issue wasn't carpal tunnel.

My mom's liver started shutting down due to Tylenol abuse, so yeah it is easier to happen than you might think.
    Good to hear you had good results, brother!

[emoji1431]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greg Ellefritz posted this on his Active Response Training Weekend Knowledge Dump:

7 Pistol-Shooting Tips For People With Arthritis

https://www.nrafamily.org/articles/2...ith-arthritis/

A physician provides valuable information about strategies arthritic folks can implement to avoid painful shooting sessions. From personal experience, I can also highly recommend topical diclofenac gel (prescription only) before and after your practice sessions.

Psoriasis has changed fro just a skin issue for me to starting to include my joints, specifically my hands. I have a really good doctor and have been put on a pretty aggressive anti inflammatory diet. Given the fact that I am already on humira for my skin, I have decided not to pursue any additional medication.

So here is my approach: Diet, intermittent fasting, ice baths when needed, and sauna. Through my diet I have already went from 186 to 177 in a couple weeks. Also changed my weightlifting regimen with help from a coach to start to "shore up" my joints and make sure they have some good muscle supporting them. Long term will tell but I have not weighed 177 since I was 21 and I feel great right now as most of it was body fat% and water weight from foods that didn't get along with my body well.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    Psoriasis has changed fro just a skin issue for me to starting to include my joints, specifically my hands. I have a really good doctor and have been put on a pretty aggressive anti inflammatory diet. ....
    Any specifics on your diet that you would be comfortable sharing are of interest.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyman View Post
    Any specifics on your diet that you would be comfortable sharing are of interest.
    Meats, vegetables (night shades such as peppers and potatoes don't seem to be an issue for me but may be for you, lots of leafy greens (spinach/kale), some fruit (limit the sugar though so i usually do a piece a day), nuts (I stick with almonds and pistachios), eggs.

That is pretty much it. I avoid things like soda (diet or regular), energy drinks, grains (besides brown rice), and dairy.

I started taking probiotics and drinks that have them at the same time and my gut is doing much better (I was going several times a day and having heart burn daily, hasn't occurred in the past three weeks since starting the probiotics and new diet.)

Bumping this thread because of current issues.

I'm starting to have more frequent bouts with arthritis in my right index finger. None of my other fingers have ever suffered similar swelling or pain. I can press the trigger but it is painful so am thinking of switching over to my left hand in the meantime. I've put in a decent amount of work doing WHO drills over the past two years but my performance is nowhere near what I can do with two hands. I'll see if using my right hand as a support (instead of primary) hand helps me out.

Has anyone had to do something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by CarloMNL View Post
    Bumping this thread because of current issues.

I'm starting to have more frequent bouts with arthritis in my right index finger. None of my other fingers have ever suffered similar swelling or pain. I can press the trigger but it is painful so am thinking of switching over to my left hand in the meantime. I've put in a decent amount of work doing WHO drills over the past two years but my performance is nowhere near what I can do with two hands. I'll see if using my right hand as a support (instead of primary) hand helps me out.

Has anyone had to do something similar?
    Recovering from pinky surgery the past 5 months. Has really shifted my perspective on what can happen, including me changing away from a manual safety. I have been carrying left handed exclusively for the last few months and it has taught my a lot. Right now I would say my left hand functions better and is more stable than my healing right hand, almost to where I was shooting strong hand only. As an aside, this has also made me really admire trigger systems like the lem that have an inherent safety aspect to them with their longer trigger pull and "auto decock". From now on I'll have a left handed holster for what ever gun is my primary just in case.. I also found it difficult to have a consistent draw with my left hand to my right eye with s dot and that has led me to fall in love with irons again. Quite the journey this year.

https://www.amazon.com/Strengthener-...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

I use these exercise tools for the arthritis in my hands. I have them sitting by my computer and pick them up several times through the day and use them. It's helped me a lot. Motion is lotion.

I also take Glucosamine and fish oil.

Somebody on here recommended Blue Emu cream and I started using it.

I am shooting with padded handball gloves.
    Randy

User Tag List