Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: LL used vehicle search, first hand input appreciated

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    I went looking a few years ago and couldn't find a 150 with any kind of cab extra-ness and a full length bed. I live in TX and grew up using a truck to work, so for me, anything less than 8' is just an imitation of a truck.
    You could in '12, I test drove one. The extended cab with the rear suicide doors could be had with an 8' bed. That was the front runner until I drove the Ram. You might have to order one, but Ford's website shows you can still configure a F150 with SuperCab and 8' bed.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    I third this. My GMC is a club cab with an 8' bed and every time I have to get plywood or lumber and can put it in the bed close the tail gate and go, it pays for itself. Parking, or docking, is just something you get used to.
    I'm currently running a LWB GMC Savana 3500 cargo van. 13 feet from the back doors to the storage console between the seats. Fully enclosed. Gets it done.

Not so good for really heavy or dirty/smelly stuff, but I like the bikes and gear being fully enclosed and no trailer.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    I'm curious to see how this shakes out as this is almost the exact line of vehicles I'm considering (just replace the Xterra with a 14+ Tundra).

My original thoughts were a 5.0 F150 or the newest 3.5 EB I could afford in an XLT or FX4 trim. However, after my most recent experience with a Ford, I'm a little gun shy on another (especially the first year/generation of anything). If I didn't want the capability to tow a decent sized camper in the foreseeable future, it would be a Trail/TRD Off Road 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    The '16 and up Ram crew cabs have back seat leg room for days. The older quad cabs are basically extended cab trucks.
    The Ram 1500s were first available with the true crew cabs in 2009. Even the Quad cabs aren't bad, I can fit into the back seat of one reasonably well. An old coworker has an '06 quad cab and I had a 2017 quad cab for a rental once and could fit into both.

I have really developed a dislike for the suicide door extended cabs. Friend has a new extended cab F-150 and it can be an ordeal to get out of the back in a tight parking lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

4Runner.

Unless you need the truck bed the gain in enclosed storage space in the back of the 4Runner will be virtually superior in every dimension.

So much easier to haul people and luggage, etc. Like when people come to visit, picking someone up at the airport and throwing their luggage in the bed of your truck is...well not classless, but let's say, "Not classy".

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Time for a new ride and USAA made it too easy to get pre approved for a low rate loan.

I want 4wd, four doors, room for two young LittleLebowski Urban Achievers in the back, and I'm not keen on stuff built on a car chassis except for the new Ridgeline. Price range is the low 30k range or less.

Here's what I'm looking at:

• 4Runner SR5
    • Chevy Colorado (prolly too small)
    • Chevy Silverado 1500
    • Ram 1500
    • Clean Nissan Xterra
    • F150
    Of your list: 4runner unless you need a truck bed or towing capacity.

Site Supporter
    Wife and I have really enjoyed our 2015 RAM 1500 Laramie Hemi 4 door - she drives it more than I do. I was looking for a clean used truck but ended up getting a new truck with HUGE discount. Seems very hard to find a deal on a clean used truck - they are either way high mileage or beat up. A clean used truck fetches such a high price I went new.

If the Colorado is too small, the 4Runner and Exterra may be too small. I test drove a Silverado and F150 recently and liked both. To use the bed like a trunk, you will need to get a tonneau cover.

I think you really need to go and look at them to see what will work for you.

Site Supporter
    I have a 4 runner. SR5 Premium. I traded out of a 2014 explorer as fast as I could to get it.

Interesting things about the 4 runner:
    It has been untouched since 2009 when the gen 5 4 runner debuted. Toyota is unlikely to change the design at least through 2019 and possible 2020. This is a historically long model lifespan. Translation here is that you are extremely unlikely to find one that is a problem prone vehicle.
    It has the least sophisticated powertrain on your list and in general. 5 speed transmission. port fuel injection. mechanical fan. hydraulic power steering (versus electric power assist).
    It has thick metal skid plates. everywhere. Like even the u-joint on the front driveshaft, transfer case side.
    In most trims it will come with an old school mechanical key.
    In the last 3 years sales of the 5th gen have skyrocketed and increased each year. in 2017 Toyota had one of if not the best sales year for 4runner.
    This thing is one of the last vehicles aside from Landcruiser 100% made in Japan down to the tires.

Pros
    It has a surprisingly large room. I'm a large guy and I don't feel cramped.
    For a small family there is plenty of room and gear. We have my wife and I plus 3 year old and Labrador. If you need additional cargo space there is a plethora of places making high quality roof top systems.
    Drives like a small tank but it still comfortable on long drives
    Soft-Tex seats are great...look and feel of leather but way more durable.
    Might be the most reliable vehicle on planet outside of Landcruiser
    SR5 4wd has tons of capability out of the box.
    Rear window can be rolled down from inside or outside via key.

Cons.
    Hard to think of any but here are some extremely nit picky ones
    Oil changes. Cartridge style systems are challenging to the uninitiated. I recommend doing this yourself because jiffy lube is probably going to mess it up. On top of this there is about 50 lbs of skid plate to take off.
    Acceleration&Power. Get used to it. You aren't winning any races unless it is first to 300,000 miles. You have to plan your highway passing.
    Cruise control. Takes some getting used to and profanity.
    Can't lock vehicle with fob while engine running. Have to have dealer program this feature.
    Grease. yep this actually has greasable drive shafts. The manual indicates a lithium grease for u-joints and a moly lube for the slip yoke. yep two greases. and another thing you will want to take on yourself. jiffy lube will miss this or mix greases.
    Gas mileage: you have a small tank with an overbuilt chassis and skid plates. aerodynamics of a brick. and old school 4.0 v6 and factory 3.73 gears (3.727). For a mid size suv the mileage is atrocious.
    Seems to be overly sensitive to high lifting suspensions. There is a high correlation to front differential bearing failures with high lifts (above 4"). Although a rare failure it seems to happen with high lifts and heavy use. Fortunately a company called East Coast Gear Supply has a bushing replacement that works fantastic and is easy to do.
    Last edited by fixer; 05-08-2018 at 05:50 AM.

Recently went from a 13 Silverado to a 17 4Runner.

Honestly, either is fine. I don't miss the truck, but I never hauled anything that won't easily fit in the cargo area of the 4 Runner. 4Runner is much much better in parking lots, that's not debatable. The truck was a 4 door short bed. Power was mentioned about the 4Runner....it's definitely not the V8 that I gave up, but I've not had any trouble getting around slower vehicles on the highway. Mileage isn't great, but mileage wasn't phenomenal with the Silverado. My daily work commute is about 16 miles and I have gone 2 weeks on one fill up of the gas tank, assuming I didn't do any other driving.

Both accommodate passengers pretty much the same in the rear. When someone rides up front in the passenger seat, they are closer to me laterally than they were in the Silverado. I notice this, but we aren't cramped in by any means. Really, I notice it when I haul one particular relative, but he kinda like to spread out if you get my drift.

Another note, my Silverado was one of the 5.3 liters with the active fuel management. Mine was suffering from a known issue with that combo that caused oil to seep into one of the cylinders causing it to be very rough when idling and dragging fuel economy down. It was fixed under warranty.... until it came back. I personally would avoid any 5.3 with the active fuel management system.

I have a 2016 Ram 1500 2wd crew cab sport with the short bed.

Day to day, I love almost everything about the truck. I do, however, have serious concerns about long term reliability. I have 40k on the odometer as of now and the closer I get to 100k the more antsy I’ll get.

Like most truck owners, I rarely use the bed but when I make an impromptu stop at Lowe’s on the way home for lumber I’m glad I have it. I still need to get some kind of cover for the bed and I’m trying to resist winding up with a camper shell.
    Last edited by rob_s; 05-08-2018 at 07:52 AM.

User Tag List