Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: LL used vehicle search, first hand input appreciated

If you don't need a truck to do truck things, the 4Runner is the pretty awesome.

I went through much of this same search last year and bought a Ram 1500.

I didn't want a Ford as I didn't want to deal with aluminum body issues. I drove more than a few Sierras/Silverados as I like the body style(I think it looks aggressive) and my few "car guy" buddies are big GM fans. I was underwhelmed when driving them (all the way up to the Denali/High Country trims); I found the throttle response lagging, the fuel economy sucked and the steering wheel is offset in the driver's seat (once I realized that it drove me nuts!). Plus, there are no rear facing A/C vents to blow air at the rear passengers (I have 2 kids who get car sick) so out with the GM model. The in-cab amenities of the higher trim sets is pretty awesome. I sat in the Colorado for about 10 minutes before realizing it felt the same size as my wife's Kia Sportage. We wanted something bigger.

I really wanted a Tundra, but man did the gas mileage suck on those...

My Ram (Laramie trim with convenience package) has rear facing A/C vents, push start, auto-dimming mirrors, heated/cooled front seats, heated rear seats and a few other bells and whistles that I never thought I'd get in a $36k truck (no 4WD though). If we went to a compatibly equipped Ford/GM/Toyota we'd have spent nearly another $20k. I like the coil spring suspension, even though it does reduce the tow/haul capability compared to similar sized trucks. I don't feel like my ground clearance is any different than similar half ton trucks either.

I've driven my friends' Fords, Chevys and Toyota trucks but never owned a truck myself until this one. I have no regrets with my Ram other than not going with the EcoDiesel (would have put me out of my price range). I do a lot of highway miles and my mileage is pretty consistent at 18MPG (hand calculated) using 89 Octane gas. My neighbor has a '15 EcoDiesel for his lawn company, so he's towing a 2 ton trailer everywhere and he's getting 25MPG around the city. Around here, 89 Oct & Diesel are the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigghoss View Post
    We have Ram 1500 patrol trucks at work. Suspension is too soft, throttle response has a lag but it'll get moving, and ground clearance sucks. We've been going back and forth between Chevy and Dodge/Ram since before I started and that's been the trend for the last 12 years. The '16 and up Ram crew cabs have back seat leg room for days. The older quad cabs are basically extended cab trucks. The Dodge/Ram traction control is awesome on icy roads, the Chevy is OK. I almost got a Chevy stuck at work when I hit some mud and the traction control applied the brakes when the tired started spinning.
    Turn the MDS off, use 89 Octane gas and you'll get rid of the lag throttle response. At least that is what eliminated mine.

Site Supporter
    One thing that still surprises me about the 5th gen--you can browse the 4runner forum and not see a major issue for a month or a minor issue for 1-2 weeks. Any other car forum will have some major issue or defect every other day.

For those wanting some more 5th gen 4runner information

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/5th-ge...lots-pics.html

Need one of these for spinning off the oil filter cartridge

https://www.matcotools.com/catalog/p...R-TOOL-6-8CYL/

Question for hte 4Runner owners...

Anyone opt for the retractable cargo tray? Why/why not? Would you change your choice today? Why/why not?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Question for hte 4Runner owners...

Anyone opt for the retractable cargo tray? Why/why not? Would you change your choice today? Why/why not?
    It came with the SR5 Premium. I haven't even moved it out of the box after 1.5 years.

I’ve had two Toyota 4Runners. A 2014 Trail and a 2016 Trail Premium. We decided to upgrade after one of my sons friends backed into our 2014 in the high school parking lot. While we appreciate the moonroof, the wife (it’s really her vehicle) and I both liked the cloth seats over the softex seats of the premium. I have a 2013 Dodge 1500 Hemi 4x4 and the 4Runner smokes it in every way off road and in adverse weather conditions. While they’re expensive upfront, they retain their value so well that every time we go to get service, the dealership salivates at the thought of us trading in. I have no doubt I’ll be passing this on to the kids as they enter into adulthood.

The negative is that the whole it has plenty of room for a family of four, anything more is circa 1984 and we start sitting them in the cargo area. While we’ve driven from Indiana to Florida/east coast in it, it wasn’t particularly pleasant compared to our 2008 Highlander or 2012 Honda Odyssey.

If it was up to me? I’d opt for the 4Runner TRD Pro in orange (2014) if you can find it.

I think the best all around choice would be the 4Runner.

If you need a pickup bed from time to time, purchase a small trailer to tow with the 4Runner.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I think the best all around choice would be the 4Runner.

If you need a pickup bed from time to time, purchase a small trailer to tow with the 4Runner.
    That is a good option if you don't need to move large objects very often. You can also rent a pickup from Home Depot for a couple of hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    That is a good option if you don't need to move large objects very often. You can also rent a pickup from Home Depot for a couple of hours.
    Another good thing about trailers, people with cars don’t ask to borrow your trailer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mark D View Post
    You can also rent a pickup from Home Depot for a couple of hours.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    FWIW, neither of these ideas worked out for me at all...

I had a Tacoma with a shell, and kept thinking that I'd use either of those two options when I "needed" the truck bed, but it turns out that I never had the trailer when I wanted it with me and I never wanted to drive all the way home in a rental truck just to come back for my own.

What happens in my case is I am out and about for one reason or another, and find myself picking up something that wouldn't fit in an SUV or small pickup with a shell, and have to go make a special trip with the trailer or rental truck.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Been thinking about this thread, and I always thought the stubby 5.5' bed on the F-150 seemed silly, but in comparison to an SUV like a Cherokee or 4Runner it would be huge.

I used mine today and after three decades of SUVs I would have a hard time going back. Having the segregated cargo area, potentially without a roof (mine has a Bakflip, great compromise, IMO) and without carpet, is just great. Also having the tailgate as a table is something I never knew how much I missed. Today, in the process of mixing a fresh gallon of two-stroke fuel I dribbled some gas on the tailgate, had that been in the back of an SUV it would have been a huge screw up. But actually, it wouldn't have happened, cause I woulda been bending over to do it on the ground.

User Tag List