Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: LL used vehicle search, first hand input appreciated

When buying used, it's hard to beat a Toyota 4Runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    Raptor.....that’s what credit is for.
    So I test drove a 2011 Raptor that I could afford. The truck was cool, but I thought the off-road tires were noisy on the road and since 99% of the time I drive on the road, I didn't buy it. I know I just lost some PF points, but I ended up with 2015 F150 XLT Supercrew. Huge amount of room in the backseat. I got the V8 and 4x4. I was planning to test drive a Tundra and Ram, but this truck had everything I wanted at the price I was looking at. I wish I did test drive other trucks, though.

How about a 1992 Jeep Comanche?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    ...It's the quietest and most comfortable trunk I've ever owned...
    You sure you're *always* one of the good guys?
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by critter View Post
    You sure you're *always* one of the good guys?
    No.

I meant truck, of course, but the most comfortable trunk I ever had was a 1970 LTD. Most of the drive in theaters were history by the time I could drive, and the one that was left just charged by the car load, but back in the day you could get 3-4 of your closest buddies in for free with one of those.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No.

I meant truck, of course, but the most comfortable trunk I ever had was a 1970 LTD. Most of the drive in theaters were history by the time I could drive, and the one that was left just charged by the car load, but back in the day you could get 3-4 of your closest buddies in for free with one of those.
    I think I mentioned before, I had a '77 Dodge Diplomat as a teenager. It had, what we described as a "three body trunk". And three averaged sized male teenagers would fit in there. Unless James was in there...then it was a two body and one midget trunk (and I had to add some air to the rear air shocks...)...

But, the '63 Comet I have is 17" longer than a comparable Ford Falcon. And all 17" is behind the rear wheels in the trunk. It could hold 5 bodies longitudinally and 4 bodies latitudinally.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 05-08-2018 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yeah, my garage barely fits an F150 and I have no need at all for anything bigger.
    I forgot. My newer truck is longer than my old truck. And it sticks out of standard parking spaces a bit. So yeah, watch out for that.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    ...the '63 Comet I have is 17" longer than a comparable Ford Falcon. And all 17" is behind the rear wheels in the trunk. It could hold 5 bodies longitudinally and 4 bodies latitudinally.
    Buy'em Cheap. Stack'em Deep.
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I have the F-150, a 2014 with the 8' bed and extended cab. I think they are the only ones still doing any extra cab with the full size bed. When I got it I was working with my wife at her graphics business and had the need to haul 4x8 sheets on a daily basis, often several times a day, and occasionally 5x10 sheets. We transitioned from a Suburban, and it was a huge PITA to constantly fold the seats up and down, and it would not hold a 5x10 no matter what the angle. But it ends up being a VERY long truck, 163" wheelbase, almost 3' longer than the Suburban. It doesn't seem like much but it made the Suburban feel sporty. And the extended cab with the suicide doors is great for dogs and grandkids and the occasional adult, but not only the front door has to open, but you seatbelt has to be undone. And as mentioned if you are in a tight parking place you get caged in between the front and rear doors. But you will not be in a tight parking spot, because the thing will not fit in a tight parking spot so you will end up parking way out whenever you can. So the 8' bed is really great when you need it, but it comes with some baggage. Going to a four door cab either takes you down to a 6.5' or 5.5' bed or takes you up into the Super Duty.

As far as transitioning from the SUV (bought it new and used it daily for 11 years and kept it until an employee wrecked it) to a truck is that I am really glad to have the truck. You can dump the mulch right into the bed, the mud from the target stands doesn't matter, and the cab can be locked while you deal with the load in the bed.

I have the 3.5 "Eco" Boost, and the mileage has been less than hoped for (not bad, not super), but the power has exceeded expectations. IMO the overlooked specification is peak torque RPM, mine makes 420fp@2200rpm. This means when you are just going down the road you are at peak torque and it does not need to downshift to climb a hill. A buddy has a 2015 with the 2.7 and it is plenty fast and would probably do everything any of the other trucks you are considering would. Another fuel related thing about the F-150, it is optional but you can get a 36gal tank. Mine (with the max tow package I really don't need) only can do 17-18mpg reliably, but the 2.7 will probably reliable to over 20mpg on a road trip, probably 700-800 miles, so you can pee at scenic rest stops instead of mini marts.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 05-09-2018 at 07:25 AM.

You’ve got to narrow it down some. Here’s your list translated by my perception into a list of guns:

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post

• Glock 19
    • M&P Shield
    • Colt 5” Government 1911 in 45
    • Kimber/Sig 5” 1911 in 45
    • FN 509
    • Springfield Armory TRP in 45
    • M&P 2.0 compact
    If you want a truck that’s more comfortable, GMs seem to ride a little nicer. If you want truck that’s more durable, the Tundra and F150 are good options. The F150 rides a little harder empty, and in my experience becomes unstable at highway speeds when the roads are rough. I’ve driven over 100,000 miles in recent F150s and they all feel unstable on rough highways at 70+, especially around long sweeping high speed bends with bumps. Other manufacturers trucks don’t feel that way to me.

If you want an SUV, the Toyota 4Runner is on the Tacoma platform and that should tell you what you need to know. The grand Cherokee is...nice. More creature comforts. More comfortable ride. It is a unibody so it is a whole different beast than the 4Runner.

The 4Runner feels...spartan to me. Like a stock Glock. It’s platform has historically been the basis for very serious off road use, but it’s civilized enough to use every day. With a four cylinder it has good enough power and decent mileage compared to a full size truck.

Mileage is better than trucks past across the board, but still not in car territory. 20mpg city would be my acceptable standard, above that you’re going to regret it if you drive 1000+ miles per month.

TL/DR Decide if a bed is important or if an SUV is what it want (open trailers are cheap). Decide if a full frame is important. Decide what mileage is acceptable. Go and drive the choices that remain. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List