Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: LL used vehicle search, first hand input appreciated

LL used vehicle search, first hand input appreciated

Time for a new ride and USAA made it too easy to get pre approved for a low rate loan.

I want 4wd, four doors, room for two young LittleLebowski Urban Achievers in the back, and I'm not keen on stuff built on a car chassis except for the new Ridgeline. Price range is the low 30k range or less.

Here's what I'm looking at:

• 4Runner SR5
    • Chevy Colorado (prolly too small)
    • Chevy Silverado 1500
    • Ram 1500
    • Clean Nissan Xterra
    • F150
    • Jeep Grand Cherokee
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by LittleLebowski; 05-08-2018 at 08:02 AM.
    #RESIST

Are you dead set on a half ton? When I bought a new pickup I went with a F250 from an F150 and glad I did.

I am enjoying my 13' F150 XLT supercrew. PLENTY of cab room for kiddos and gear. Going skiing on blizzard days is no problem in 4WD.

USAA all day long.

I was in the market about 2 years ago with somewhat similar criteria, but a lower target spend. Got into an old loaded Tahoe and love it. I looked at a 4Runner and know that they run forever with little issues whatsoever other than maintenance, but its ride was stiffer than I was looking for, and its interior was not nearly as roomy as I'd expected it to be. And the fuel economy was not much better than the Tahoe.

Of the models you've listed I'd look real close at the Silverado and the F150. If I did have a lifestyle/need for a pickup, rather than my current need of accommodating up to 6-7 humans fairly often, I'd definitely get one of those.

Site Supporter
    I think you’ll be best served by an engine with forced induction. Tons of low end response and doesn’t fade with altitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    Are you dead set on a half ton? When I bought a new pickup I went with a F250 from an F150 and glad I did.
    Yeah, my garage barely fits an F150 and I have no need at all for anything bigger.
    #RESIST

Son has a 4 Runner and it’s awesome. Dependable and beatupable
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    USAA made it too easy to get pre approved for a low rate loan.
    That's awesome.

I went with a Super Duty. I certainly wouldn’t go that way unless you had a specific need and space.

Modern 1/2 tons are a lot of truck. One thing to consider is your ability to rent equipment. Some companies, like Home Depot, have tow policies that may be more restrictive than the manufacturer. Renting a Bobcat or Kubota BX backhoe required 1/2 to or greater. The mini excavator required a 3/4 ton plus. My local equipment rental place seems less restrictive. YMMV.
    David S.

We have Ram 1500 patrol trucks at work. Suspension is too soft, throttle response has a lag but it'll get moving, and ground clearance sucks. We've been going back and forth between Chevy and Dodge/Ram since before I started and that's been the trend for the last 12 years. The '16 and up Ram crew cabs have back seat leg room for days. The older quad cabs are basically extended cab trucks. The Dodge/Ram traction control is awesome on icy roads, the Chevy is OK. I almost got a Chevy stuck at work when I hit some mud and the traction control applied the brakes when the tired started spinning.
    Last edited by Bigghoss; 05-07-2018 at 12:33 PM.

User Tag List