Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: LL used vehicle search, first hand input appreciated

I really wanted a Tacoma until driving one, at 6’3” I couldn’t get the seat back far enough to get my knees out of the steering wheel.

I loved the 4Runner my wife test drove but she decided it was more truck like than she wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post
    I really wanted a Tacoma until driving one, at 6’3” I couldn’t get the seat back far enough to get my knees out of the steering wheel.

I loved the 4Runner my wife test drove but she decided it was more truck like than she wanted.
    That’s good to know. I’ve been considering a Tacoma or 4Runner for when we move to a more rural area but at 6’2” perhaps I should lean towards the 4Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    That’s good to know. I’ve been considering a Tacoma or 4Runner for when we move to a more rural area but at 6’2” perhaps I should lean towards the 4Runner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I did not drive the 4R just rode as a passenger.

I bought a new 4Runner last October, getting out of German sports sedan I leased due to my work at the time. I've spent most of my life driving Toyota trucks (Three Tacomas/two 4R's) and I couldn't be happier to be back in another. My wife is due for a new vehicle in the next couple years, and she wants a Highlander. Toyota trucks are like Glocks, they won't blow your hair back with fanciness, but they do their job as intended with little to no fuss.

I also used USAA for my auto loan, and as LL said, they made it silly easy. Their rates also matched the best I could find at the time. Spent a total of about one hour at the dealer, including the test drive. Securing your own financing, hunting down the vehicle of your choice online, and negotiating price via email makes buying a car much less painful.

Site Supporter
    I'm on my second Xterra after rolling the last one 6 months ago. It's about the perfect vehicle for our one kid two dog family. If I was going to buy something else it would be a 4runner.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    I'm on my second Xterra after rolling the last one 6 months ago. It's about the perfect vehicle for our one kid two dog family. If I was going to buy something else it would be a 4runner.
    I'm astonished to find that used Xterras are priced liked used 4Runners
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm astonished to find that used Xterras are priced liked used 4Runners
    The Xterra is a decent SUV. When I bought my Ram, I wasn't sure if I wanted a truck or SUV and drove a multitude of both. A Pro-4X Xterra was our top pick of SUV.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I know you said used, but...

Did you even consider ordering something new? While we have never met, you seem like a pragmatic guy that is not accustomed to luxurious accoutrements, as are most of the buyers that put their vehicles back on the market while there is still lots of life left in them. You can probably find a $48k vehicle that is depreciated down to $33k, but you might be able to buy what you want for $35k. This probably favors the pickup truck over the SUVs, they start out cheaper (I think an F-150 costs between $25k and $65k...).

My wife was the one that was smart enough to figure this out when we bought the Suburban. We wanted a 2500 with cloth seats. It was the end of the model year and there were big rebates available on a metric buttload of 1500s offered by a metric buttload of frustrated salesmen who couldn't comprehend why we didn't want the dog sliding around on leather seats, and why, if we didn't even own a trailer, did we want a 2500. I was ready to compromise when she pointed out that the rebates were just paying for stuff we didn't want and wouldn't buy if we just order what we want. Fortunately we found one we DID want AND got the rebates, but we had to go out of town to buy it.

It just amazes me how cheaply you can still buy a full size pickup truck, and it amazes me how much you can spend on one.

FWIW: My parents have a 2007 FJ Cruiser, same drivetrain and frame as the 4Runner (4.0V6, part time 4wd). It’s sitting at 165k miles and runs and drives fine. A bit of a wibble-wobble at speed because it needs new front bushings, but otherwise excellent vehicle. I’ve driven it off road a number of times and it handles speed off road great.

Engine has a small cam chain rattle now, so we’re planning to so chain and tensioner, which is to be expected at 150+. Always maintained with synthetic oil and it runs great. Seriously, when I thought I might need a 4wd vehicle for work, I went to the Toyota dealer. I didn’t consider anything else.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratch View Post

I'm 6'4" in a '14 Double Cab Tacoma without issue. We may have a different build or driving position though.

User Tag List