Thread: Ammo question with regards to a short barrel

Ammo question with regards to a short barrel

I carry a MP Shield, it is currently loaded wth Barnes 115gn +p ammo but I would like to switch to 124 gn HST standard pressure.

I would love to have a bit longer barrel but the Shield is a reasonable compromise of my priorities and what Ca allows me to acquire. How do these bullets perform in 3" barrels, I'm not convinced the in general, 100 FPS drop in MV matters in terminal performance at common civilian defensive distances but I am no scientist and I would like to hear what others and hopefully Doc GKR have to say about this.

The Barnes ammo is easy to acquire in my town and is on the Doc's list of approved bullets. The HST can be purchased for the same price but 30 more rounds which means more practice with carry ammo and a top notch reputation to boot.

Any comments or recommended reading will be appreciated.

My apologies if this has been addressed ad nauseum here, this site is a recent discovery to me.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tawadc95; 05-06-2018 at 01:01 AM.

Site Supporter
    I have the same Shield. Mine feeds the 124 gr HST along with several others that I have tried. Having studied Doc's findings, I use any of the rounds on his list with confidence except that I avoid firing +P+ ammo in the little gun because S&W advises against its use in their products.

I do not know about the HST. The standard pressure 124 gold dot sucks out of a G43 barrel. I carry 147s in my G43.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Conversation cut from the 9mm duty load thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    For 9 mm, the results are essentially identical with barrels from 3.5-5", you get more variation in lot to lot differences than with barrel length.
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    What about the 3.1"-ish barrels like Glock 43 or Shield?
    Quote Originally Posted by michael1778 View Post
    In situations like that, consider the heavier loadings (like 147 grain) so the muzzle velocity is very close to the fraction of an inch longer versions. 147 grain loads from the recommended list with ~3 inch barrels should be good performers.
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    Correct.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I participated in a ballistics test last fall with my agency. Granted we were testing 147 gr loads. Tested were Winchester RA9T, Federal HST and Speer G2 Gold Dots. I had them include my Shield (BUG) in the tests to see if the shorter barrel made a difference in the performance of the rounds. It did not.

I currently carry RA9T or 147 HST in my Shield or G43. I believe the 124 HST would work acceptably out of a 3 inch barrel and would not hesitate to carry it if my preferred rounds were unavailable. Also, Federal has a new 150 HST Micro load that appears to give good penetration and expansion, with somewhat reduced recoil, that may also prove to be a good choice (I have seen no credible testing of this round and am unaware of any shootings with it at this time). It is available only in the 20 round boxes whereas the others mentioned can be had in the 50 round LE packaging.

Post #4 is the answer. 147gr hst would be my choice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

FWIW: I chronographed the same box of 124+P Gold Dot from a G43 and a Shield, getting an average around 1150 and 1110 respectively. I've had multiple lots come in around 1150 in the G43, so a bit over 1100 might be typical for that load from a Shield.

Thanks for the responses!

The duty ammo thread has some good reading now that you have pointed it out.

Pretty interesting chrono readings, the little barrels seem to hold their own.

I think after this post and the duty ammo post I will end up using the 147 gn HST, it actually has been the mildest feeling and sounding of the HST and Barnes I have tried out in the Shield.

Thanks again.

User Tag List