Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need to get a rearsight for my Smith and Wessan 629 .44mag

I need to get a rearsight for my Smith and Wessan 629 .44mag

I bought a used S and W and it came with a Leupold 2x scope and a one piece weaver mount. The gun has a 8 inch barrel and its a real fun gun for shooting metal swinging targets. I would like to get a rear sight for the gun since I wont be using it to hunt with. I thought it would be more fun to shoot it without the scope. Can anyone direct me in any direction to where I could maybe find a rear sight. The gun is fairly old but in great shape with the firing pin on the hammer. I have shot .44sp out of it and they shoot very accurate out of it. I also loaded some .44mag cases that I found with some .44 special loads (published loads.) and they shoot even better less recoil and less carbon build up. Anyhow I wont ramble on about my new toy I did buy it a few months ago but now the weather is nice enough to shoot outdoors. A .44 is not ment to be shot indoors , it would be like putting training wheels on a Harley. Any help would be great.

Check Midway and Brownell's. If you don't have success there, go to the Smith &Wesson forum. I'm sure you'll find someone there to help.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

The rear sight is different depending upon the "-" (dash) revision. The early sight bases are square on the end facing the muzzle while newer revisions use a sight with a rounded base.

I would start with Numrich at https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...n/revolvers-sw and https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-man...vers-sw/629-sw
    Last edited by farscott; 05-06-2018 at 12:51 PM.

Sent you a PM. I just looked, the K,L, and N frame look like they use the same rear sight assembly.

What - number 629 do you have? You may need to take some measurements of the screw position relative to the front of the frame and the cuts at the rear to make sure you get the correct sight. They are out there. Check Ebay and the other suggestions offered by Trooper224 and farscott. Good luck in your search.
    Billy

Gunsmith, M/C mechanic, Retired Army, NRA Life Member
    "When you have to shoot...Shoot don't talk" Tuco

Welcome to the club, I bought a 29-3 8in with a Leupold mount and a unworking Aimpoint 2000.
    I ordered the last sight assembly from Numeric had in 2015, but they sent me a checkered one for a M27. I haven't looked recently.
    The blade height kits are still available (.160 for 8in), but a square front, serrated bases are hard to come by. If that's what one you need based on dash number.
    J, K, and L frame sights wont fit, screw spacing is different.
    Last edited by JBhunter45; 05-07-2018 at 07:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBhunter45 View Post
    Welcome to the club, I bought a 29-3 8in with a Leupold mount and a unworking Aimpoint 2000.
    I ordered the last sight assembly from Numeric had in 2015, but they sent me a checkered one for a M27. I haven't looked recently.
    The blade height kits are still available (.160 for 8in), but a square front, serrated bases are hard to come by. If that's what one you need based on dash number.
    J, K, and L frame sights wont fit, screw spacing is different.

Thats the part I didnt know, that the older square front rear sights were different hole spacing for different frame sizes. I have a rounded front from a 686-5 (I think). Id have to double check the dash. It seems when the rounded fronts came about, they started using the same rear sight for K,L, and N. I dont know what spacing that correlates to in the older stuff.

I knew there was a difference in the pre-model numbered N frame 357 rear sights from later N frame 357 rear sight hole spacing, but didnt know the different frame sized used different spacing after model numbers came out.

All round fronts are the same.
    The only aftermarket for the square front is a Millet, just as pricey as the S&W.
    I have my dimensions somewhere that for my 629-1 and -2 6", 29-3 8", and 29-4 3" all unfluted versions.
    The 629-1 came with night sights that hit over 1' high at 25 yards and maxed out adjustments. I'd like to replace those as well.
    All have the same center to center spacing and different rear blade heights depending on barrel length.
    Also the Leupold base for the old style is also no longer available. Mine was drilled and tapped by a gunsmith.
    I ended up putting the mount back on and added a Burris 2x pistol scope.
    Last edited by JBhunter45; 05-07-2018 at 11:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JBhunter45 View Post
    All round fronts are the same.
    The only aftermarket for the square front is a Millet, just as pricey as the S&W.
    I have my dimensions somewhere that for my 629-1 and -2 6", 29-3 8", and 29-4 3" all unfluted versions.
    The 629-1 came with night sights that hit over 1' high at 25 yards and maxed out adjustments. I'd like to replace those as well.
    All have the same center to center spacing and different rear blade heights depending on barrel length.
    Also the Leupold base for the old style is also no longer available. Mine was drilled and tapped by a gunsmith.
    I ended up putting the mount back on and added a Burris 2x pistol scope.

Do you know if the round front corresponds to a particular square front dimension, or if its interchangeable with any square front frame/sight?

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Do you know if the round front corresponds to a particular square front dimension, or if its interchangeable with any square front frame/sight?
    No, but I could look into it later at home.
    I also have K and L frame round fronts, but they come drilled and tapped from the factory and can't see the hole spacing being the same.

User Tag List