Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surefire XH 30 1,000 Lumen WML

Pretty good video that compares some different lights. Go to 5:57 and you’ll see the reviewer lighting up his son at 25 yards in the dark (with just the lights, no gun). He starts with the XC1B, then the XH35, then gives the Tactician a try, and finishes with a EDCL2-T.

The XH35 is way too diffuse; the Tactician, which is already a floody light, seems much brighter at 800 lumens than the 1,000 lumen XH35.

Glad Surefire is coming out with a focused XH series light.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKib5K47xtQ
    Last edited by Jeff S.; 05-05-2018 at 02:11 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    Pretty good video that compares some different lights. Go to 5:57 and you’ll see the reviewer lighting up his son at 25 yards in the dark (with just the lights, no gun). He starts with the XC1B, then the XH35, then gives the Tactician a try, and finishes with a EDCL2-T.

The XH35 is way too diffuse; the Tactician, which is already a floody light, seems much brighter at 800 lumens than the 1,000 lumen XH35.

Glad Surefire is coming out with a focused XH series light.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aKib5K47xtQ
    I’ve been carrying the Tactician for a bit. It is floody but I really like the high output first - twist head for low / EDC tasks switching. I’m normally not a fan of dual output or programmable light but I would love to see a tactician with a spot beam.

I bounce back and forth between the Tactician and the EDCL2-T (I upgraded my Tactician with a shrouded clicky tailcap and bezel-down clip). I love, love, love the switchology on the Tactician with a clicky tailcap; not entirely sold on the "tactical" momentary switch that it comes with, nor with the bezel-up-only clip. But the bezel switching between high and low is IMHO the best user interface for a light that pulls dual duty for defensive and admin use. That said, EDCL2-T seems to provide very comparable spill to the Tactician while also offering a lot more throw.

On the original topic, XH30 looks cool. Wonder if they'll come out with a non-'H' version that isn't compatible with their holster and which lacks the little ring around the bezel, meaning a slightly narrower package (unimportant for duty holsters, but a factor for concealed carry). For now I will stick with my TLR-1HL when I carry a WML concealed. I still prefer the shorter length of that light to the X300U.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I’ve been carrying the Tactician for a bit. It is floody but I really like the high output first - twist head for low / EDC tasks switching. I’m normally not a fan of dual output or programmable light but I would love to see a tactician with a spot beam.

The Tactician seems like it has a great beam shape: floody, but a bright center that still throws.

I’ve been using the EDCL1-T. It’s my first gas pedal switch, and it’s awesome. If this light came with a more neutral tint, or even high CRI, it would be a dream carry light.
    Last edited by Jeff S.; 05-05-2018 at 03:50 PM.

So, this will require different holster(s) - meaning more of them. Does Surefire own Safariland stock or the other way around?

But I'm confused, I've used the remote switch on the 6volt Classics, then the horse shoe switch on the Nitrolon, then the SL on the X200, before the DG on the X300 & X300U-A. Figured out how to draw without always activating the light. Kept hearing people complain about the switches and the lights coming on when they draw.

Now, SF has a light that's designed to always activate when drawn from the proprietary holster ....

Are these compatible with existing X300U holsters ?
    No, they should work with XH35 holsters though. Not helpful for some but moving forward the XH line should share some compatibility.

I wonder if that is Surefire’s way of trying to get you to buy the holster they are peddling for this.
    Kinda, they developed the XH series for the needs of someone and their holster isn't the worst.

Quote Originally Posted by Angus McFee View Post
    Now, SF has a light that's designed to always activate when drawn from the proprietary holster ....
    That "feature" can be turned off. It's a capability that was likely requested by a group that draws enough water to have the product made.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I bounce back and forth between the Tactician and the EDCL2-T (I upgraded my Tactician with a shrouded clicky tailcap and bezel-down clip). I love, love, love the switchology on the Tactician with a clicky tailcap; not entirely sold on the "tactical" momentary switch that it comes with, nor with the bezel-up-only clip. But the bezel switching between high and low is IMHO the best user interface for a light that pulls dual duty for defensive and admin use.
    I have a Tactician and also have the same complaints/thoughts as you. Do you mind sharing what clip and tail-cap you switched to on your Tactician? I would be interested in doing the same thing.

Thanks

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff S. View Post
    The Tactician seems like it has a great beam shape: floody, but a bright center that still throws.

I’ve been using the EDCL1-T. It’s my first gas pedal switch, and it’s awesome. If this light came with a more neutral tint, or even high CRI, it would be a dream carry light.
    I have both the EDCL1-T and 2-T. The 1-T is my "daylight" flashlight, or the light I carry when I don't expect to need a light. I alternate between the 2-T and Tactician when going out at night. I prefer the switchology of the Tactician when equipped with a clicky tailcap, but I really really like the throw of the 2-T. While not a flood, the spill is comparable to the Tactician, albeit weaker around the outer edges, but you gain a ton of throw. Longer package, though. Right now, my dream light would be a light with the 2-T's output, twist for low like the Tactician, shrouded clicky tailcap like the Scout, and oh yeah, 18650 compatible. A guy can dream...

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbag View Post
    I have a Tactician and also have the same complaints/thoughts as you. Do you mind sharing what clip and tail-cap you switched to on your Tactician? I would be interested in doing the same thing.

Thanks

John
    Z68 shrouded tailcap and a clip from an E2D.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    Z68 shrouded tailcap and a clip from an E2D.
    Thanks!

User Tag List