Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Week 267: 5x5 Drill (Original)

Week 267: 5x5 Drill (Original)

Results may be posted until June 4th, 2018.

Designed by: Gila Hayes
    Range: 5 yards
    [i]Target: 5" circle, download target here: http://loungecdn.luckygunner.com/lou...5-drill.pdf/i]
    Start Position: Low ready
    Rounds Fired: 25

The 5x5 Drill, originally designed by Gila Hayes, is an excellent short test of a practical level of close-range handgun marksmanship under time pressure.

Start with the gun at ready, loaded with at least 5 rounds, the 5" circle target at 5 yards, and the par time set at 5 seconds. At the start signal, shoot 5 shots to the target. Overtime shots count as misses. Repeat the drill four times, for a total of five runs (25 shots.) Count how many of the 25 possible hits you got under the par time.

Optional: If you prefer, draw from the holster or concealed holster for each string.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment used (pistol, optional holster/concealment if it was used)
    Number of overtime shots
    Number of misses
    Total points scored out of 25 possible
    Anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Springfield Range Officer Operator 9mm, Trijicon HDs, Surefire U-boat.

Holster: Safariland ALS on DFA single leg strap shroud.

Hits 25/25, all under par. Slowest was 3.5 ish. All shot from the holster.

Tracking sights under recoil on the 1911 when switching to it from the Glock just makes me trip. It’s hard to let the gun just do its thing, and not control it like I would try to control my Glock. Overall felt good. The 1911 ALS plus thumb safety just end up making me having a slower first shot.

Glock 17.4, stock besides Trijicon HDXR sights. Surefire U-boat.

Holster: Safariland 7TS, ALS, on DFA single leg strap shroud

25/25 points, no strings over par, slowest string was 3.16 I think. All shot from holster.

Thoughts:

I shot this after the 1911.... it was weird at first switching back to Glock because of the snappier recoil, but after reading GJM’s brief notes on the TPC gripping methodology, I was able to really tame the sight tracking. This was a good reminder of the reality of getting good hits on target, from a realistic distance under a reasonable amount of time. The 5” circle reminded me a lot of the “grapefruit” size target zone Nyeti/DB has written about extensively.

I shot slightly better with the Glock. I know the potential is there to shoot the 1911 better, but for whatever reason, I can outrun the 1911 with my Glock. Once I send this gun back, I’m going to commit to a few thousand rounds with it (if the reliability issues are fixed) to see if I can run it better than my Glock. If not, the 1911s are getting sold.

Overall a good drill. It was easier than I expected, but I’m going to try and modify it with further distances/shorter par times and see where it goes.
    Last edited by BK14; 05-05-2018 at 05:44 AM.

Equipment used (pistol, optional holster/concealment if it was used) G19-5 concealed AIWB under a closed front shirt
    Number of overtime shots 0
    Number of misses 1
    Total points scored out of 25 possible 24
    Anything you noticed I used the black of a B8 which is approximately a 5.5” circle so I shot from concealment instead of from the ready to balance it out. My slowest run was about 3.1x and my fastest clean run was 2.80s. I threw one round high during the third string. I could have easily slowed down to make sure I got a hit with how much spare time I had but I rushed it and missed.

–————————————————
    My posts only represent my opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of my employer. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Site Supporter
    I just picked up a new-to-me Beretta PX4 DAO, apparently a police trade-in. I ran this drill four times to get acquainted with the pistol; the first two with a mix of 124-grain factory hardball, the second two (below) with my carry load of 124-grain +P HST. I also used a B-8 target center, because I had them.

Equipment used: Beretta PX4 DAO from ready
    Number of overtime shots: 1
    Number of misses: 0
    Total points scored out of 25 possible: 24
    Anything you noticed: Black sights, even with the three dots, are hard to see against a black target. (Blinding flash of the obvious...)

Name:  IMG_0076.jpg
Views: 595
Size:  95.7 KB

Number of overtime shots: 0
    Total points scored out of 25 possible: 25

Second run on the same target:

Name:  IMG_0077.jpg
Views: 600
Size:  89.7 KB

I think Claude Werner suggested that this is a good drill to find out if you're compatible with the gun. Things look good from that perspective.
    Last edited by revchuck38; 05-10-2018 at 06:37 PM.

Shot with a Gen5/19, Ameriglo/GLOCK BOLD sights. Fail on second “5”, clean on all the rest. It’s been several months since I shot this particular 19, and every trigger is different. Will hit this again, and utilize time.
    Noted on the second run two bad trigger “mashes”...and it all comes down to the trigger, doesn’t it?
    So,23/25, time always met-just need to be consistent with trigger.
    5 yard “Roundup” before home=95 points: 1 “8”, 3 “9s”.

Ugh-almost didn’t want to post a 22/25.
    Gen5 G19, BOLD sights, ball ammo. Low light on indoor range(maybe a factor).
    I’m thinking this is an obvious test of self-discipline, and will work on that accordingly. On practically all strings, I had +1.5 seconds
    approximately to work with.
    The other note is I am switching over to a 19 for a bit, and as noted earlier, different trigger.
    So, to be kept at!

Equipment used- PX4CC
    Number of overtime shots- 0
    Number of misses- I shot this four times- 19/25, 23/25, 22/25, 22/25
    Total points scored out of 25 possible- 19, 23, 22, 22
    Anything you noticed- seems like a much easier drill than it really is. there is plenty of time to line up your shot and pull the trigger, but i found myself rushing at time- which ended up having a miss right outside the box to the lower left side.
    This country needs an enema- Blues approved sig line

Gen5 G19w/BOLD sights(orange front);Federal 9x19mm ball”XM982” ammo.
    Runs all under 5 seconds, 3 of 5 under 4 seconds. 25 hits(25/25).
    Third time apparently the charm here. I’ll maintain in switching platforms, one had best at least dryfire, since all triggers, etc., different.
    I shot this right at lunchtime, immediately after a disappointing “Test”@10 yards(83 points with overtime shot at 10.46). In a way, that helped my concentration-and I noted on my 5th run(after 4 clean)a little “nervousness”, which I focused through.
    Contemplating playing with shooting hand and support hand runs...

Site Supporter
    Number of overtime shots: 0
    Total points scored out of 25 possible: 25
    Anything you noticed: I've shot this gun some more, and changed the hammer spring from the factory D spring to a 12 lb. spring from Landon Tactical and replaced the medium backstrap with a large one so it points like my TDA PX4. It now hits where it's supposed to. Strings were about four seconds. Gettin' my DAO mojo back.

Name:  IMG_0084.jpg
Views: 496
Size:  82.2 KB

Ran this twice at the end of today's session. It's been a month with no dry fire or live fire.

Equipment used : G19 gen 2, practice pistol
    Number of overtime shots: 0 / 0
    Number of misses: 6 -8 ? / 1-3 (depending on how to score)
    Total points scored out of 25 possible : 17 -19 / 22 - 24 (depending on how to score)
    Anything you noticed: Was surprised to learn that 5 seconds is enough time to do this. Just need more practice at pace and technique. Also, I don't know how to score. How do you score rounds that touch the grey border but are not 'in' the circle?

Name:  5x5.jpg
Views: 471
Size:  24.0 KB
    Last edited by Francis; 05-27-2018 at 06:50 AM. Reason: I can't count

User Tag List