Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safariland ALS, The "nub"

Safariland ALS, The "nub"

https://www.otdefense.com/nub-mod-for-als.html

I just received mine. I might need to order a few more for all of my ALS holsters. I don't see any downsides and it's much easier to disengage.

I've got a 3 gun comp on Sunday so I'll have some more testing then. It's supposed to be raining so it might be a good day to use it.

Interesting. When I’m carrying OWB I’m more worried about losing my pistol to bumps, falls, or branches than to hostile hands. Might be useful when wearing gloves. Will have to spend more time with my ALS and think about it.
    Last edited by peterb; 05-03-2018 at 08:24 PM.

Just to make sure I understand how the nub works: one has to push forward to release the pistol? If so does the tension have to be maintained until the pistol is slightly drawn? If that's not right then ignore the rest of this post because I misread it.

Before I used the ALS I used the dreaded hood release. That pushing forward caused inconsistent grips from time to time. If the Nub has to be held forward while drawing I fear the same dynamic might occur?

I know people with smaller hands had problems from time to time with the ALS being inconsistent release. It would bind up because they couldn't get the right tension on it. But those were people with very tiny hands. As for most people the ALS is fantastic because once the web of the hand is high on the backstrap the hyper-extended thumb is sitting right on the release. So tightening the grip releases the pistol every time. Very intuitive and by far the best police holster I used in my career. Of course I've been a retired has-been for quite a few years so there might be much better by now. LOL.
    Last edited by JustOneGun; 05-03-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    Just to make sure I understand how the nub works: one has to push forward to release the pistol? If so does the tension have to be maintained until the pistol is slightly drawn? If that's not right then ignore the rest of this post because I misread it.
    The Nub is just a bigger button to actuate the ALS mechanism with, there's no change otherwise, AFAIK.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    The Nub is just a bigger button to actuate the ALS mechanism with, there's no change otherwise, AFAIK.

I misunderstood completely then. I could have swore they said you can push against it and release the pistol sooner. Oh well. I'm getting old. Hehehe. My apologies.
    What you do right before you know you're going to be in a use of force incident, often determines the outcome of that use of force.

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    This is correct. No change to actuation, just a larger more positive surface.

I run these at work. My opinion is that they’re a worthwhile addition.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "I want to see someone running down the street with a sims-gun shrieking 'I am the first revelation' " - SouthNarc

Quote Originally Posted by JustOneGun View Post
    I misunderstood completely then. I could have swore they said you can push against it and release the pistol sooner. Oh well. I'm getting old. Hehehe. My apologies.
    It's bigger and wider but not overly so. It does allow extra leverage and it seems easier to disengage.

I’ve been happy with the one for my 1911. The extra material to cover the thumb safety made it hard for me to disengage so it’s been a solid addition there. Really haven’t felt the need for it in my Glock or M&P holsters though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used it with both Glock and M&P duty holsters. I'm pretty happy with it and will continue to use it - absent something radically changing my mind.

User Tag List